Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jon's ski tuning lessons

Poster: A snowHead
I know this may have been mentioned before, but it bears repeating for anyone newish to the forum. I spent yesterday afternoon with Jon Coster of Jon's Ski Tuning near Nottingham, learning how to service my snowboard.

It was a really helpful few hours, Jon is great at explaining why we're doing things (hence it's easy to remember). What I learned will definitely save a few quid in servicing in the future, as well as preventing a few stupid (and no doubt expensive) mistakes.

If you can make it to Nottingham, it's well worth the time.

Should also mention I won the lesson through Snowheads, so thanks Jon and Admin!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jc99, Yes, very interesting.... but what biccies did you get? Toofy Grin

Only joking, Jon's courses are brilliant and winning it makes it even better. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I should really sort out going on one of these after my Atomic SL12s went from being able to munch just about anything to skittering about hopelessly at the mere sight of slightly hard snow following a shop butchering...I mean 'tune'.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
and with shop butcher tuning now anywhere between 12 and 49 ooro Jon is a bargain imho Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did four pairs of skis this weekend - does take me a while - think my big problem is that I melt too much wax on initially, so takes me ages to scape off - you should have seen the mess on the kitchen floor Embarassed

Shame he's so far away from us - Edge & Wax should do a similar course for us Southerners.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weathercam, Scott at E&W does! Excellent course, great chap too. Check their site out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam wrote:
Did four pairs of skis this weekend - does take me a while - think my big problem is that I melt too much wax on initially, so takes me ages to scape off - you should have seen the mess on the kitchen floor Embarassed

Shame he's so far away from us - Edge & Wax should do a similar course for us Southerners.

Trust me, this Northerner for one at least is not allowed anywhere near the kitchen to service his ski's Laughing Laughing .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I get away with waxing and edging in the kitchen, but scraping is done outside. I do most of the cooking and cleaning I might add!

snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are already many threads about Jon's tuning course, so will just add that I spent a very satisfying arvo with him this weekend learning to tune my skis. And I got to talk about skiing, non-stop, for a few hours without everyone around me glazing over - always time well spent! snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I didn't get biccies when I did the course Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did Jon's course several years ago and good to hear he's still going strong. Nice guy and great service.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Never mind biccies; his local boozer is a cracking spot.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zero-G, Cool But you didn't say that you were Zero-G!. I always thought Zero-G was a bloke Embarassed. But was it a biscuit or cake?

Megamum, No biccies Shocked. Apologies. Perhaps Deb reckoned that Fraser should do without Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I always thought Zero-G was a bloke .

Honestly, why would a bloke have been so excited when I let slip that there would be a Whitedot Director in the 168 size, eh?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Perhaps Deb reckoned that Fraser should do without

spyderjon, Loving it Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
Zero-G,Megamum, No biccies Shocked. Apologies. Perhaps Deb reckoned that Fraser should do without Toofy Grin
spyderjon, I thought you and I ate all the biscuits? Laughing
snow report
I now have to try and remember it all to repair the bases I trashed at the Family Bash rolling eyes
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
But you didn't say that you were Zero-G!. I always thought Zero-G was a bloke Embarassed. But was it a biscuit or cake?
Heh, you're not the first sH to make that mistake, which prompted me to have a gender declaration to my sig for a while.

It was neither biscuit nor cake, it was confectionery. Yummy confectionery at that!

midgetbiker, after discussion with spyderjon about ski sizes and the mechanics of camber and sidecut I'm re-thinking the Director size. That and the skills I picked up during six weeks of combat skiing those dodgy conditions in Cham last month may have convinced me to go longer.
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:

I thought Edge & Wax did provide a similar service?
snow report
I've revived this thread so that I can publicly thank Spyderjon for the tuning lesson on Saturday. It should have been a half day thing, but I was there from 11.30 till 5.00. Needless to say I left carrying armfulls of kit as well as my carefully tuned skis.

No biscuits, but I did get lunch!

Now I hope to keep my skis out of the clutches of basegrind happy shops.

Thanks Jon.
latest report
Thanks for reviving this Spud9,

Ronald and I would also like to thank Spyderjon for the lesson he gave us the previous weekend. It was really informative and useful, about all aspects of skis, bindings etc. I'm now looking forward to servicing my own skis (and I've never said that before about something that involves ironing).
Thanks Jon!
snow conditions
Next time you take Jon's tuning course bring your skis along and have the Quiver Killer inserts installed as well.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy