Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

March 14, Back from Neustift (Stubai Glacier)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Back from first ski holiday in Austria, in a rather out-of-the way village (Neustift) which is a 30 minute drive from the Stubai glacier.
Weather/snow were good to excellent and lift system efficient.
As compared to France - our hotel (Alpenhotel Fernau) was a very good value. Lift pass prices were comparable. Ski rental was abysmal. Apres ski was ... well, fun, actually. (The French are good at many things, but I don't think "fun" is one of them.) However, German friends informed me, with much embarrassment, that the "fun" was sophomoric, if not cruelly vulgar. Thanks to my nonexistent German I didn't notice. However, with 70% of tourons from Germany, it's a wonderful opportunity to practice the Teutonic tongue. Razz
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where did you ski ? Just up on the glacier ?

For ski rental I'd have recommended using the Intersport on the glacier at Gamsgarten, too late Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Austrian resorts are more oderly and less crowded. Prices are surprisingly reasonable, bearing in mind their standard is comparable to the Swiss. The snow on their resorts seems to last longer too.

I feel that I get a better reception in Austria than in France. For example I can park my car in the covered car park in the middle of Saalbach free with a ski pass but have to pay even to get into a dirty toilet in La Plagne. You also need the exact coinage to get in too!

None of the Austria WC charges money and they are also spotlessly clean as in a hotel. In one French resort the female and male toilets are inside the same room (without any partition) with women watching men standing in front of a common urinal! To be fair with the French this location was in the middle of nowhere and hence the make-shift cabin. In general though I find skiing is more enjoyable in Austria than in France and I know a few skiers never go back to France after they discovered Austria.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ise, skiied the Gamsgarten gondola areas, up the Talstation and Eisjochbahn lifts. Runs 1, 3, 4, 7, 12 maybe?!?
Yes too late for the ski rental. My equipment was truly crapola. But I will remember if I go back.
saikee, I agree - before reserving a week next season I am going to price France vs. Austria. However, when it comes to weekend trips, the ease and economy of hopping onto a train after work and arriving in Courchevel in time for dinner and drinks cannot be beat. Also I like to understand the general gist of conversation swirling around me, which is impossible in Austria.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy