Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Magne Traction

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sold Very Happy

The difference on ice over a normal edge is amazing.

Anyone else tried it? I've got it on a Smokin' KT-22, which has magne-traction along with rocker/camber. Dropped down 5cm in size from my last board as well, and I'm blown away by the difference in all around usability over my last board, which was a Bataleon.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr L had one, liked it but ultimately decided that with decent technique he could get the same performance out of a standard board.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Technique on ice will always be better than any draggy wavy edges.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tried it, liked it (on a Skate Banana and a TRS).

Can't say I preferred those over the (standard edged) Burton Custom V, but did not really get onto ice that much when trying the Libs. Found the Burton OK on ice, but not amazing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hang11 wrote:

wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BCjohnny wrote:
hang11 wrote:

wink

Boiler plate day today.

Not one washout for me, even with dodgy technique Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hang11. Only advice, keep on top of your edges.

The design makes the important bits more suceptible to damage.

And maybe practice the technique....................... Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've got no idea about technique for ice? What is the correct technique?

I just get over it as fast as possible. Never had a lesson, but have been snowboarding for about 15 years, so I've probably got some fundamental errors in technique, compensated for by arrogance Very Happy

My other board which is really just for powder days, has regular edges and camber, and it bites back in a big way if I'm sloppy with it on the groomers, so it will be interesting to see if using an "easier" board has a negative effect on my technique when I ride it this season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure if there is a "correct" technique, just one for staying reasonably upright, lol.

INAE but when I hit ice/boiler plate, I relax, make no sudden movements and keep the edge angle low, until I find decent traction. A lot of people seem to panic, try to dig an edge in (which is nigh on impossible) and wash out. Magne seems to help by concentrating the pressure over a shorter length, and into defined pressure points.

Not sure if you're applying "easier" to your Magne board. If so it's not that simple. It's easier to ride under certain circumstance, but ultimately less stable, say, on groomers than a trad edged/cambered board (nose/tail de-tuned), which I guess is why a lot of people don't like 'em. To pinch an automotive analogy, it has a much shorter effective wheelbase.

And that makes two of us. I've never had a "proper" lesson either, but there's only so much boarding you can teach beyond the basics. Most of the rest of it is bottle and practice, in that order.

Also, be careful what some may say about Bananas/Magne and the like. A lot of people haven't spent enough (any meaningful?) time on them to give a valid opinion, which is rarely good. I've got seven weeks on mine now, well, well short of some riders hours, but enough to have a reasonably balanced view. Be good to know your's once you've got some more time on it.

Is it the bees knees? Maybe. Will I go back to a trad board? Maybe. It's just all part of the fun.

Good luck with snow this year, here's wishing you endless powder days. I might just come over, and let you put me up if it's a good 'un, wink .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowHead

10 minutes from Coronet, 20 from Remarkables, 30 from Cardrona, 1 hr from Treble Cone, 2.5 from Ohau..........

And a couple of spare rooms Very Happy

I don't know if I'll go back to a trad board, I really liked my Bataleon board too, and it's fun to try out the different tech. I got a really good deal on the magne traction board, about 1/2 the lib tech SRP, so it was worth a try. But so far, 7 days so far on it, and I'm really impressed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
30 odd days so far this season on my new board, mainly riding slush/chop/ice as it's not been the most stunning start to the NZ season. Having covered a few vertical metres, and ridden with mates on regular camber and rockered boards without the wavy edges, I'm pretty sure that MTX, at least on a rockered board, makes a huge amount of difference. I'm really not sure what the issue is with people calling it draggy either? I've not noticed mine being any slower than anybody else, and had no issues with being able to chuck it around. I think the MTX on my board is a bit more mellow than some of the lib-tech ones, but it's really good. Having ridden a couple of rockered non MTX boards, I also think the MTX goes a long way towards negating some of the issues with these boards when carving at speed as well. Mine carves like it's on rails, and I've dropped down 5cm in size over what I usually ride. I've also found that I can almost pump it through turns and on traverses, a bit like on a surfboard.

So overall, I'm sold. It's maybe not worth worrying about if riding decent snow conditions all the time, but for the cr4p I've had to put up with for the last few weeks, it ticks all the boxes. Mrs Hang11 has got one too, and has come to the same conclusions. At the end of the day, IMO it's not about having perfect technique, it's about having fun, and that's what I've been having Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Hang 11,
Last year it was really great checking all your photos.Others thought so too, so if you get some more it would be cool to check them here again.
Its one of the great things about this site I believe, ski or board.Spend ages checking them all out, lots of interesting people places etc.

Do they sell the Pinner where you are, possibly not so popular for your conds but after your post I checked the site etc.

Everything I,m hearing/reading (not from the kids having a snowboard graffic honeymoon) and my limited time with a couple of rocker boards, is pointing alot to the -More Versitile thing as being the most important summery.Exactly as you say as well.

This is big cheese if you are looking at a traditional big mountain stick shape,as they are normally a handful in general and in the past.
A more versitile model is really going to be fun in that class of board.Its what I have been excited about and seems too already be the case last season or two, with a few brands that launched there versions of rocker early.

Riders will be saying this brand is this/that as all do, once the smoke settles down (libtech has alot of smoke and less edge) and certain rocker combinations become common knowledge in each class or type of board.
It,ll be all good when refined.
What they are doing with edge lenght weighted, right up the nose in racing is very interesting too, as it all comes back to having more fun.

Keep those reports coming, good bad ,wobbley the lot.

This season Hang11 why don,t you (hopefully it works out for you of course),send lots pow day photos, torture readers, show snow deep depth woooo", you know you like doing this to the motherland!.
Everyone loves those ,even the scenic shots were awe last season too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'l get some photos for you - I've been too busy snowboarding to bother taking my big camera along most days. Thanks for the nice comments anyway.

The guy I bought my KT-22 from does have a couple of the Pinners in stock. They look nice, but I've got an Arbor Abacus under the bed, for the big pow days, and it goes great, so I'm not about to change it. I think when it does die, then I'l be thinking about the pinner - we do get some big days here and it's worth having a powder gun in the quiver.

The camber/rocker combos are a bit of a mystery to me - the board I'm riding is rocker between the bindings, and camber outside the bindings. I've seen others with camber between the bindings and rocker outside, or just rocker, or none at all, or flat between the bindings and rocker outside. I don't think anybody has really figured out what works yet. It will be a few interesting years ahead I think.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hang11 wrote:
IMO it's not about having perfect technique, it's about having fun, and that's what I've been having Very Happy

wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi I hope I dont detract from these amazing sounding boards you all have and talk about. I actually didnt know what board I had been riding until yesterday when I found receipt of purchase. Its a 'raven'. Only cost 110 pounds. I did know enough to get right length. The only other thing I done when buying it was flex it while on end. I knew the kind of flex I wanted and done this to all the boards. The board has been fantastic from being a beginner to now doing cross unders. .bit carving and powder. rolling eyes
ski holidays
MTX does work, even with detuned edges. I was impressed! I was at least as impressed with Never Summer's Vario edge, which I hadn't expected to be so effective. Burton's 'pressure distribution edges' didn't seem to offer improved grip over their standard radius, although the variation of the edge is barely visible, which may explain that.....
ski holidays
Techniques everything and once you have mastered ice (which is easy) you won't want any aids.

Ice tips - we had a big thread on this lazy year - keep on an edge, be pointed much further down and switch edge to edge more quickly, don't wimp out and try to stop on each edge transition. The last one is the most important. You don't need to stop so ride the ice until you get onto softer stuff or, if you really must stop, do so at the piste edges where it will be softer. Always keep your legs extra bent so you soak up any bumps in the ice and maintain edge contact.

People wipe out on ice when they get straight legged or they ride too slowly with skiddy turns, desperate to get on the opposite edge, despite traversing at walking pace.
snow conditions
Nothing wrong with having a bit of help from the equipment, even if you have the technique mastered.

I'd happily ride a board without MTX, but I think my preference would be to ride something with it, because it works, and I haven't figured out what the downside is to it.
ski holidays
I love my board with Magnetraction and definitely notice the difference. While I may not have mastered ice, I now do most of my riding on small Canadian hills at night, so I am very familiar with it.

bar_shaker wrote:
Techniques everything and once you have mastered ice (which is easy) you won't want any aids.

I agree that technique always trumps fancy gear, but I agree with hang11 who hasn't figured out "what the downside is to it".

All other things being equal, why wouldn't you want magnetraction?

Finally, here is a post by me from 2007 (!) before I'd ridden a magnetraction board. Wasn't sure if it worked then, but am certain now.
latest report
[quote="bar shaker"]Techniques everything and once you have mastered ice (which is easy) you won't want any aids.

have you tired one ? been riding since 93 and magna traction PLUS technique is feckin awesome...wouldnt go back..have won boarder x ( inc very icy one and a powder one ) on it and done over 55 mph on it..unbeatable. and edge to edge with oppositve toe and heel is phenomenal..plus let it blunt a bit and its still poo-poo hot
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
Technique on ice will always be better than any draggy wavy edges.

if your dragging your edges then dosent matter if wavy or not...good technique means your not dragging them anyway!

Quote:
Not sure if you're applying "easier" to your Magne board. If so it's not that simple. It's easier to ride under certain circumstance, but ultimately less stable, say, on groomers than a trad edged/cambered board (nose/tail de-tuned), which I guess is why a lot of people don't like 'em. To pinch an automotive analogy, it has a much shorter effective wheelbase.

just let it detune a bit..plus with good technique you learn to adapt..i.e an f1 car corners better and quicker than a touring car...but its quicker..so just learn to work it
ski holidays
[quote="sninhosa"]
bar shaker wrote:

have you tired one ? been riding since 93 and magna traction PLUS technique is feckin awesome...wouldnt go back..have won boarder x ( inc very icy one and a powder one ) on it and done over 55 mph on it..unbeatable. and edge to edge with oppositve toe and heel is phenomenal..plus let it blunt a bit and its still poo-poo hot

If it makes your riding more enjoyable then what's wrong with that. But describing it as unbeatable is fools talk. A regular sharp edge with good technique is much faster. Kessler, Oxess, etc don't have wavey edges for a reason.
snow report
willow 15 wrote:
. Kessler, Oxess, etc don't have wavey edges for a reason.

Probably due to trademark/licensing
snow conditions
Quote:

But describing it as unbeatable is fools talk

Embarassed Embarassed ..not sooo much foolish as after a few whiskys.. Confused ..i would say it is equal too then not unbeatable..but onc3e you have it and become skilled on it then it is easily equal to sharp edges and top technique.. the sharp edge thing also is its other benefit..you can leave the little metal bugs for ages as even when blunt in can carve well
latest report
I think my comment about "draggy" edges has been misread.

Magnatraction creates a lot of drag if you are using a correct carving technique, much more than a traditional smooth edge creates. If you are sliding your edges it can offer more grip on ice, but the drag when correctly carving on piste is the downside.

I do think it is a good aid to learning, for people who fear boarding over ice patches.

Of course the best technique is not to offer any edge, until you have passed the icy section.
latest report
carving IS drag tho..thats why when going faster in boarder cross etc you try and minimise it..plus if you look into it its not really drag by having a wavy edge as its just the 'tips' of the waves that are in contact so its just more poinjts of contact but they are in same line of turn/circumferencve if your properly carving not dragging or sliding so its just more grip not really a drag in any way... anyway..horses for courses i guess
snow conditions
I think it may be worth considering that the MT tech is used on park, powder and poppy boards. The idea of it is to create more grip for flexible and rockered boards. It is not a design to replace a smooth carving edge... it is a design to create grip for downtuned edges.
ski holidays
fair do's but they can also win boarder x races which in my mind is how most normal snowboards used..if you that into carving then you should be on hard boots and GS boards anyway so its not the point im trying to make
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sninhosa wrote:
fair do's but they can also win boarder x races which in my mind is how most normal snowboards used..if you that into carving then you should be on hard boots and GS boards anyway so its not the point im trying to make

Show me a world cup bx racer using mange, that has won races. The top riders use Oxess or Kessler, because the are the best and fastest boards out there. Even if there was no licence issues they would not have mange because its not as fast. There are other brands competing in wc bx but I suspect they are rebranded Kessler's or Oxess.

I am not trying to flame you shinosa, but if you ever get a chance to ride the aforementioned boards do it, you will be blown away.

Also if you are carving properly you don't lose speed or line.
snow conditions
http://www.lib-tech.com/snow/tech/magne-traction/

...winnner of king of the hill, baker banked slalom and olympic gold...its good enough for me i guess anyhow!..but also you are right, boardercross at top level seems quite a different beast than it used to unfort.. i like the palmer days, etc but im a bit old... more semi hardboot style boots and stuff yawn.. so yup for all out carving then fair do's buy sdome hard boots.. for a top all round board then consider magna traction if you want..

as i think response from lib tech/ boardshoop shows...magna is used on some boardercross boards

"Hi kate, I've got an ELAN Vertigo board that I use for boardercross, is there anytihng you would suggest as being an all out boardercross ripper? Cheers for any help
dutoyboy1 5 months ago
@dutoyboy1 Hey! Aw, you're amazing. You're the first person that hasn't called me Dave. Haha. We actually don't have any all out boardercross boards, but the one that you need to get the job done is without a doubt the Rossignol The Experience Magtek. This board is loaded with everything amazing. It has an insanely fast base, Magne-Traction, Amptek, dual strips of Carbon and Kevlar, it's directional with a stiffer tail. I could go on and on but it will for sure perform the way you need it to.
thehouseboardshop 5 months ago
"

http://youtube.com/v/mbAxj5yi1Cw
snow report
The Rossignol Experience has had huge success over the last three seasons, particularly with Xavier De Le Rue winning the Freeride World Tour three years in succession on it. For 2012 the Experience is joined by the Kyrpto, the board that’s been jogging while the Experience has been weight lifting. Based on the same shape as the Experience the Krypto has a conventionally sandwich laminated carbon and Kevlar reinforced core. The Experience uses torsion box technology which means the core is divided into three distinct sections which are wrapped in fibreglass after which the core is wrapped again creating a board with incredible torsional and longitudinal stiffness

so with quick search it sweems thaqt the rossignol experience has been picking up a few victories with magna..so as i saidf.. horse for courses but in no way is it something to avoid / mucks up 'performance' ..try it and see
snow report
sninhosa wrote:
carving IS drag tho

sninhosa wrote:
its just more grip not really a drag in any way

Er, OK.

sninhosa wrote:
if you look into it its not really drag by having a wavy edge as its just the 'tips' of the waves that are in contact so its just more poinjts of contact

If you look at any edge used in competitive skiing or boarding, you will see that they are as single chord, to maximise grip but minimise drag. To take this to the extreme, you do not see many ice skate blades that are wavy or serrated, as this would increase the drag. The more points of contact you have, the more point loads and the more drag. Serrated ice skates would be very grippy, but not very good at gliding in a turn.

Boardercross boards are as stiff as a kitchen table, cambered, have a constant shallow side cut and razor sharp stainless steel edges. It would be hard to imagine a board any more different from a Skate Banana.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 2-03-11 11:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
im not talking about a skate banana tho am i...anyway its no big argument..just look at links and what people have done with it and then still say its just crap for begineers that cant carve properly...and if you feel you can still say that then its a foolish comment
ski holidays
Quite the opposite, I think it's perfect for beginners who can't carve properly.

I think Magnetration is crap for people who can carve properly.
latest report
"Quite the opposite, I think it's perfect for beginners who can't carve properly.

I think Magnetration is crap for people who can carve properly"

well thats why no point in arguing with you, your a dick head...as some bloke in Chelmsford knows more than rossignol and lib tech ? get a life mate

ive been restrained and just showed its won thing and has potential and can help begineers and proved it also has success with pros..and you say its crap..well done ..awesome.. i assume you are pro and work in r&d for a large snowboard manufacturer ?

i now remember why sites like these are full of guff
snow conditions
sninhosa wrote:

well thats why no point in arguing with you, your a dick head

Funniest thing I have read in a long time. It's the internet. You may find people who don't agree with you. But you rock on Big Boy!

Oh... and if you believe Pro riders ride the board you can buy in a shop, you are seriously deluded.
snow conditions
sninhosa, you may find that SH's is a pretty goo dplace for good discussion and debate... please save the immature attacks for TGR (like the rest of us do!)

I don't want to discourage you from posting 'cos as you stated you have presented some good links but everyone is entitled to their opinion around here without being insulted....

bar shaker, I can carve properly and I love doing it...but I want a nice flexible poppy board. I aint great at all in the park but I like enough silly play that a stiff carvy board doesn't float my boat. Being a skier too I use them for carving GS turns and going quick... doing that on a board is not my cup of tea but that it is just me...

So in short a MT board offers me a great half-way house. Grip and play... exactly what it says on the tin. Its not about 'carving properly' it is about the shape and style of board under your feet.

Oh... and I can go into my local shop and buy a pro racing board... maybe not hand-picked but pro.
ski holidays
flangesax wrote:
I can carve properly and I love doing it...but I want a nice flexible poppy board. I aint great at all in the park but I like enough silly play that a stiff carvy board doesn't float my boat. Being a skier too I use them for carving GS turns and going quick... doing that on a board is not my cup of tea but that it is just me...

So in short a MT board offers me a great half-way house. Grip and play... exactly what it says on the tin. Its not about 'carving properly' it is about the shape and style of board under your feet.

Oh... and I can go into my local shop and buy a pro racing board... maybe not hand-picked but pro.

I think you have perfectly identified what these boards are for and they are brilliant in this role.

You can indeed buy a BX board but my point was that just like many sports, the graphics on a riders top deck have more to do with the product his sponsors want to promote than a poppy park board winning BX races. Touring car racing would be a good parallel.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy