Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Airways Hand Luggage and Ski Bags

Poster: A snowHead
Sure this has been done to death somewhere. Does anyone know whehter you can take ski boots as hand luggage flying BA Heathrow Geneva Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having been through LHR security many more times than I've actually flown this winter I'd be confident in saying yes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The simple solution to the ski boots hand luggage issue. Generally it is an airline rather than a security issue at the airport.

So if your boots are in a travel bag that meets the carry on requirements and does not look like a pair of ski boots it should be no issue.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would not risk it... Put it in your checked luggage...

From BA:
if you are travelling with skis and ski boots you should pack them in one of the following ways:
- pack your skis and ski boots separately*
- pack your ski boots within your ski bag*
- pack your ski boots within your checked baggage
* Each bag that exceeds your free checked baggage allowance will incur an extra bag fee.

Take clothes etc as hand luggage, as no weight limit, just bag size and your strength...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I flew to/from Heathrow with BA last week. Had boots, helmet, avy transceiver, laptop, video camera and various cables in my handluggage. Wasn't even asked to open my bag when I went through airport security. Check-in staff and cabin crew didn't give my bag a 2nd glance.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I always put my boots in hand luggage as its the one piece of kit I really don't want to go missing. never had a problem.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

user
Posts: 52I always put my boots in hand luggage as its the one piece of kit I really don't want to go missing. never had a problem.

Same here, taken them in hand luggage and never had an issue.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We flew LGW - Verona last month - boots were fine in hand luggage.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I would not risk it... Put it in your checked luggage...

We flew from Newcastle to Heathrow then Heathrow to Lyon (with BA) at Christmas and took our ski boots in our hand luggage without any problems at all. No questions asked Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just flew BA through LHR with boots in hand luggage, again no questions asked.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Same here Hurtle, boots and helmet and an assortment of other bits and bobs in a Snokart boot and helmet bag no problem either way flying BA Heathrow to/from Sofia last week, no questions, not an eyelid batted by BA or airport security staff.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Do you put stuff in the SkiBoots so you take advantage of the space?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It'd almost be rude not to lawrence, I put my ski socks inside mine! Welcome to snowHead btw.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not just the space. You are allowed 23kg of hand baggage with BA (subject to bag size restrictions of course) so fill it with other heavy stuff rather than socks. Chargers and the like are exceedingly heavy and having them inside your boots keeps them rounded up.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lawrence,
They are perfect for protecting schnapps bottles on the homeward journey snowHead
latest report
should be fine. Did it twice last season with no issue. If your boots are in a standard carry on then they wont even know what is in it.
snow report
BA allow 2 items of hand baggage.

In addition to the usual (decent sized)1st item of hand baggage (of up to 23kg) you are allowed a handbag or laptop bag of up to 20 x 36 x 40cm. We took an additional "handbag" last year, with a few additional items in. No questions asked. Very Happy
snow report
I stuffed my charges, and assorted cables into the boots in my hand luggage. Apparently caused a bit of concern, so I had to empty them out and they were rescanned. Going to add my shovel handle to my hand luggage this time Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Flew to Geneva with BA last week and boots as hand luggage was not a problem.
snow conditions
Quote:
We took an additional "handbag" last year, with a few additional items in
NB Bergmeister's use of the word handbag in quotation marks. Obviously he really meant "manbag" Shocked Laughing....
ski holidays
On the Birthday Bash, I took my boots in cabin wheely bag (usual overhead dimensions) - no probs, either way....
Blobber took his in his boot bag, no problems....
I am sure others did too....
Keep your boots close, as Ade found out when BA left his ski bag at Gatwick, took it 3 days to catch up with him in Alleghe (after numerous phone calls and an irate phone call in Italian from our nice hotel receptionist). So whilst he had to borrow salapettes, buy a helmet & hire skis at least his boots were with him (if I remember correctly, I may be wrong as evenings were very merry, our triple room was like a scout camp !!)....
snow conditions
Returned yesterday after 2 flights with Qantas and 4 flights with British Airways for a 3 week trip to the Italian Alps, leaving from Brisbane, Australia. Despite BA's ridiculously ambiguous baggage policy and their Customer Service Department's (what a joke) pathetic responses over a 4 week period prior to my flights where I asked for clarification, I took the punt and simply packed boots into hand luggage and skis/stocks in a checked ski bag. No dramas anywhere. In fact, carrying the big, though not very heavy ski bag helped as I was waved thru Customs checks on every occasion with little more than a sympathy glance. Nice. Their Indian based Customer Service Department is STILL sending me stupid e-mails even though I'm back home and finished my skiing holiday. I don't think they've ever been anywhere near a British Airways check-in desk or security screening area and the only thing they have achieved is to leave me with a very bad taste. Skiing was awesome though. Great trip.
snow report
I saw 2 people with boots slung over their shoulder at Salzburg on Saturday - BA flight - 1 guy had his slippers on so looked ready to put the boots on if necessary. no problems at all. I had my boots in my wheelie hand luggage.
snow conditions
My new boots fitted perfectly into one of those wheelie hand luggage bags. It never looked like they had ski boots inside and I was never asked. They were more concerned about 20 mill mouthwash bottles and stuff like that.
ski holidays
we went out on BA with the kids boots in their rucksacks, got pulled over at heathrow security as they wondered why the bindings were in the bag Very Happy i explained it was to do with weight, they didnt even query the boots! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
The inconsistency of what can be carried on flights, and in what, really annoys me. Why can't there be a consistent set of rules across all airlines and all airports every year?

A friend was stopped with boots in hand luggage at Southend for an Easyjet flight a year ago. It was security who spotted them on the X-ray machine and turned them back.

Helmets being carried on planes was evidently stopped a few years ago. This year I saw a passenger with helmet hanging on the side of a rucksack carried into the cabin on a Geneva flight.

I also saw a passenger in departures peeling an apple with a pen-knife which had a blade about 3 inches long! How did he get that through security?
snow report
Mr Marmot, You can have a blade shorter than 6cm

Helmets being carried ion planes where? I have always seen them hanging off rucksacks no problem
snow conditions
Flew from Gatwick to Geneva in February with BA and had no problem with ski boots in hand luggage.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Mr Marmot, You can have a blade shorter than 6cm

Helmets being carried ion planes where? I have always seen them hanging off rucksacks no problem

I'm sure I read somewhere about not being allowed to take helmets in the cabin because they could be used as a weapon.

6cm blades allowed on flights! I learn something new every day.

I'll now make sure I'm properly tooled up with a 6cm blade on my next ski trip in case someone attacks me with their helmet on the plane!
snow conditions
I have had my helmet with me on loads of ski flights
latest report
We were coming home from VT yesterday via Geneva on a BA flight and we were astonished how blatant people were with risking ski boots as hand luggage. Several simply wore them tied together around their necks! None were questioned or challenged as far as we could tell.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy