Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

360 degree carve badge holders only...

Poster: A snowHead
flangesax, But can be done on the flat at high speed - Not that I have ever done it but have seen Ligity do it.

Watched a group of quite talented Female racers on a quite Wed afternoon in CHill one day trying to carve a circle under the two Slow signs! Sadly no one managed it but was great viewing.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

http://youtube.com/v/WwmymMmo-VU

Bit like this?

I guess that doing this on a pair of rollers might make it easier?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah. It should be quite plain that to *genuinely carve* that all the way round you need a fair bit of speed and room, not 'just anywhere.'
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999, +1
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yay! I'm special, I get a badge! Halfway down to the Fort chair, The Greatest Resort in the World (TM). Preceded by a fairly substantial Metallica-inspired straightline.

20m radius skis too. Check my mad skillz. Oh yeah.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

a fair bit of speed and room

a fair bit of speed, OK. But if you take any more "room" than twice the radius of your skis, doesn't that mean you're not carving?

Anyway, as I said in my initial post, I think anyone doing it (or actually anywhere near really doing it) warrants congratulations. Cunners, snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can carve reasonably well, and I can't do one because they're very difficult. I've tried quite a few times. Having seen the discrepancy between what people say they can do on skis, and what they actually can do on skis on previous bashes, I do wonder how many people who claim to be able to do one actually can. I've lost count of the number of intermediates that I've seen who think (read are utterly convinced!) that they're carving when they're not.

Not aimed at anyone in particular on this thread, I've not seen anyone on here ski apart from Rob.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I've lost count of the number of intermediates that I've seen who think (read are utterly convinced!) that they're carving when they're not.

I can't carve very often - not for long at any rate - despite spending quite a lot of time trying. But at least I know I can't. wink But I've skied with a number of instructors who most certainly can.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and one of them told me that very, very, few skiers can carve an entire turn.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ted Ligety did one in the finish area of a slalom race - pure quality.

I've been trying to do it at Hemel, but the Slow signs get in the way, I recon I'm close though, that's on 12.1m Supershapes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
and one of them told me that very, very, few skiers can carve an entire turn.

Do you mean 360 degrees, or just carve a normal turn on the piste from beginning to end?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
just a normal one, from beginning to end. I went on a chairlift over an ESF instructor out on his own, doing exactly that. Instant simultaneous edge change, lovely to watch, tracks were a picture. And very rare. I watch tracks a lot - plenty of good ones, not many great ones in succesion. But you're dead right, plenty of people think they're carving when they're not.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
just a normal one, from beginning to end. I went on a chairlift over an ESF instructor out on his own, doing exactly that. Instant simultaneous edge change, lovely to watch, tracks were a picture. And very rare. I watch tracks a lot - plenty of good ones, not many great ones in succesion. But you're dead right, plenty of people think they're carving when they're not.

If you ain't leaving tramlines, you ain't carving. wink To be honest I've given up trying to tell people.

As a rule a good skier can carve on a blue, a very good skier on a red, an instructor on a black.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, have a look on page 2 ... at the end is a you tube vid of Ted Ligerty. IMO he doesn't actually carve a 360 at all... far too much puff and angle as he starts the turn.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flangesax, The one I saw Ligety do wasn't showboating like the one in the vid on page 1, I've been trying to find it everywhere.
snow report
Did a few today... yeah, there's not much hope of busting one out as you come to a stop or casually unless the terrain is literally flat or slightly uphill. First couple of attempts I had a bit of a battle fighting the urge to unweight at the fall line, but it's not that challenging as a pure edging drill. You definitely need a fair bit of space and momentum though. I'm wondering what I need to straightline to get a 720 carve round now snowHead
latest report
i saw a demo by an old french instructor who carved it all the way round and the tracks met almost perfectly v v impressive
snow conditions
DaveC, badge DaveC!
snow report
"360 degree carve badge" - a bit of a mouthful Sad

"Loopy Carvers" Cool
latest report
Tomsk, I like that... maybe it would be good to tell a few people to 'go carve your ring' before posting?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy