Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis For the Little One

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Recently I purchased a used pair of 80cm Rossignols and bindings for the newest addition to our family. These skis feature a strip of one-way velvet-like material on the bases, much like what's on cross country skis, that supposedly keep the little one from sliding backwards, and at the same time controlling the downhill speeds. Has anyone had kids with experience on this sort of beginner ski?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JohnnyC, what for? I started my three year old on a pair of very short carvers this winter. Took to it like a duck to water. For the first few times I just carried him up a local slope and let him slide down a few meters. Then we went to a local drag lift which the farmer puts up in one of his fields and took him up it with him between my knees. I thought it was agony, but my son thought it was great. I also took him down the first part of the hill between my legs and then let him slide the rest of the way, which he though was just great. To cut a long story short, there's no need to put brakes on the bottom of the kid's skis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mike Lawrie, just to clarify that the strips on the bottom of the skis were put there by Rossignol, not the previous owner.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JohnnyC, I've seen these skis but have no personal knowledge of how well they work. Last winter I bought 2 pairs of 60cm skis and 2 pairs of 70cms (second hand) for my dinky students as it seems to be verydifficult to rent skis shorter than 80cms. What I can say is that with very small beginners skis around chest height are best. They have much less trouble with plough (essential for kids) and find the whole experience much more fun and much less work. Even skis at shoulder height for a 3-6 year old beginner are much too long IMO.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That is interesting, easiski. I've never even seen 60-70cm skis! I see what you're saying about skis being too long can present a problem. I think that more fun and less work is the key to a successful start. Anyway, I've got these skis now with the strips, and if anyone else out there has some personal experience with them, I'd love to hear. I would think that Rossignol would have tested this concept considerably before putting such a model into production, so I'm optimistic until I hear otherwise.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, I want to buy some very short skis for my grand-daughter and your comments on length are very helpful. Did you buy the skis in France? I've never seen any as short as that here, but they sound just right. And whilst we're on the subject, do you give your dinky learners poles? They always look lethal to me, especially in a ski class with them all piling into each other.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, I know you're addressing your question to easiski but thought you might like to know I purchased my skis recently on eBay. And when you're done with them you can always put them back up on eBay and sell them to someone else.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, I did see new Dynastar 60cms last winter, so they are available, but I should think that for new you have to order them in. Try the various makes' websites and then write to their contact address. I bought my little skis in the second hand shop here (no sadly no more due to retirement). They cost me €30 per pair. They're old and straight, but short which is what matters.

No poles for children!!!! Twisted Evil They trip over them, stab each other with them, and it stops them carrying their own skis. Much too much hassle! Small people learn to skate pretty easily, and are easy to pull/push on the flats, so I can see no good reason to give them poles. Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy