Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I didn't realise that I knew so little about ski techniques...

Poster: A snowHead
It's been an interesting evening; I've been doing some reading via google.

In 2003 I did my first week of skiing and had beginner lessons for half of each week day. I was managing red slopes that first week because the party I was with were quite ambitious for me. I remember surviving one black slope and having major issues on another.

I went skiing in 2004 and just carried on with what I knew already.

Then I had a gap, and since 2006 have been skiing twice a year, racking up 10 trips. I did two 8 day trips on my own and just skied down anyyhing I could find, though I did trap myself a few times and have to cheat by descending on the edges or turning round by sitting down. By about the 6th trip I was managing to get down pretty much any pisted run and started to enjoy bumps and steep things.

Last week for my 11th trip I went on a UCPA course in Les Deux Alpes. I looked at their ski ability guide and "can ski down any piste but can struggle in poor conditions or steep" described me, so I opted for the off piste course.

With a certain amount of nervous tension I managed to ski down a whole range of off piste slopes. Looking back at a few of them I surprised myself that I'd done it.

At the end of the week I was in the bar talking to the instructor. He said that I should really go and do the on piste course next time and that would make things a lot easier for me. He said that I only skied "with one style" and I could be taught some things that would make it a lot easier for me. Basically I'd used fitness and strength combined with blind faith and manged to ski beyond my ability.

I'd be the first to admit that I know very little about skiing apart from doing a fair amount of it.
I had a quick look around tonight and found this: http://www.ski-jungle.com/better-skiing/ch4.htm

From what I've read, I'm missing out on a range of turning techniques. I'm just using what I learnt in the first week, which is some bastardised derivative of parallelish snow ploughs, maybe even a stem christie. No one knows.

Quote:
There is, however, a major problem with the Stem Christie as a skier can become a victim of its very success. It is a reasonably uncomplicated turn to master in its basic form without a pole plant, ie just a quick stem to get the ski started in the turn, and a sliding in of the inside ski soon after. Once mastered in this form it becomes the mainstay of most skiers' repertoire. As the mileage increases, the upper ski will slide in almost immediately after a minimal stem has started to turn the lower ski. It then looks like a parallel (christie) turn. Even if a pole plant has been learnt at the start it is soon discarded, as there is no technical reason to plant the pole because the weighted ski is being steered round with a stem. Once the pole plant has been dispensed with, there is no angulation, which means less work, and a skier can quite happily spend the rest of his life tooling down well groomed pistes in the sunshine without a care in the world apart from being late for the lunchtime rendezvous.

The Stem Christie should be the end of the beginning, and the aim of this book is to convert some of the thousands of skiers who may have been using it for years to the exciting world beyond.

I'm both quite amused that my 1st week lessons have managed to allow me to do so much skiing and excited at the idea that some more tuition could unleash a new world of skiing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I survived this!

12_19_Feb_2011_Ski_Deux_Alpes 061 by tomstickland, on Flickr
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tomstickland, welcome to a whole new world Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tomstickland, you, too, could become addicted to ski lessons. wink

There will come a time when you are no longer fit and strong and brave enough to power your way down anything. My objective when I started trying to focus on really improving basic technique was to be able to ski until I am 80. These days (though I'm only 64 and still have a long way to go) the whole thing is getting steadily easier. Go for it snowHead

If you're the type who likes to understand things and getting the "theory" you could have a look at Rick Schnellmann's DVDs http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/Your_Ski_Coach_Home.html

They are a great adjunct to lessons - very, very, clear demos and explanations of exercises and drills right up to the kind of skill level which very few people are ever likely to reach (one footed 360s Shocked ). they don't start from scratch - not beginner level - and you need to go from the beginning of the series, as each exercise tends to build on the previous one.

If you're near enough you could always join some of the sessions at Hemel - I'd do more of those if they weren't so far from home. Very good fun, and great tuition and video feedback.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey tomstrickland, thanks for this posting, I found myself nodding and smiling as I read it.

I got back into skiing about 12 years ago when I thought it was time that my two kids had the experience. They were enthusiastic from the start and we dropped into the habit of booking them into ski-school while my OH and I did our own thing. We couldn't afford lessons for all of us and I figured that the kids would get more benefit from the coaching. My son then got into racing so I drove him around Europe for a couple of years and paid his coaching / entry fees which meant that I definitely couldn't afford lessons for me!

Roll the tape forward a few years - my son is now instructing and based in Europe and I don't have to pay for lessons Very Happy
This season he has taken me on as a challenge and we've been working intensively on my technique, and trying to put right what many years of self-teaching, reinforced by many hours of practice on plastic, have left me with Laughing
Out to 3V again on Saturday for a week to pick up the learning curve and moving towards a point where, in my son's words, "I don't look like a boxer when I'm skiing." Smile

As pam w suggests, it's never too late to learn if you are motivated.
It's also true that what goes round - comes round
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tomstickland, that probably sums up where I am, in that I've always tended to "get down" most slopes due more to perseverance than actual ability. And I think its actually taken until now to realise that getting down decent reds (and the odd black along the way) is not actually "skiing them".

I've now decided that its about time I actually leaned to Ski. I was actually at Snozone at the weekend for two hours, and really started to concentrate on what I should be doing as opposed to just carrying on doing what I have been doing. I've been seeking out a lot of online tutorials and basically just picked some of the advice out of that. I must say it made 2hrs on them slopes a lot less repetitive. Does anyone know if they are green level slopes at Snozone Glasgow?

I think I'm going back next week to take a lesson, but don't really know where to pitch myself to begin with. I'm not sure whether or not to go all the way back to relative basics or not. Hopefully I can get a chance to discuss with one of the instructors beforehand. Does anyone have any experience of the Snozone instructors?

I've actually just got the Ski Club of GB Beginner and Beyond DVDs to look at (hopefully they are good) but am also interested in the ones below that seem to be recommended highly on here.

http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/Ski_Instruction_DVD_Video.html

I tend to read up/watch a lot on things I do, so hopefully these vids would be good reference material, coupled with some lessons and some free practice. Could anyone who's ordered the DVDs let me know how long they take to arrive after ordering as I believe they're from USA. Also are they likely to attract import tax?

Many thanks

Billy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w,
Quote:

There will come a time when you are no longer fit and strong and brave enough to power your way down anything. My objective when I started trying to focus on really improving basic technique was to be able to ski until I am 80. These days (though I'm only 64 and still have a long way to go) the whole thing is getting steadily easier.
That describes me, my motivation and my slowly but steadily improving skills to the letter!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blert596 wrote:
tomstickland, that probably sums up where I am, in that I've always tended to "get down" most slopes due more to perseverance than actual ability. And I think its actually taken until now to realise that getting down decent reds (and the odd black along the way) is not actually "skiing them".

I've now decided that its about time I actually leaned to Ski. I was actually at Snozone at the weekend for two hours, and really started to concentrate on what I should be doing as opposed to just carrying on doing what I have been doing. I've been seeking out a lot of online tutorials and basically just picked some of the advice out of that. I must say it made 2hrs on them slopes a lot less repetitive. Does anyone know if they are green level slopes at Snozone Glasgow?

I think I'm going back next week to take a lesson, but don't really know where to pitch myself to begin with. I'm not sure whether or not to go all the way back to relative basics or not. Hopefully I can get a chance to discuss with one of the instructors beforehand. Does anyone have any experience of the Snozone instructors?

I've actually just got the Ski Club of GB Beginner and Beyond DVDs to look at (hopefully they are good) but am also interested in the ones below that seem to be recommended highly on here.

I tend to read up/watch a lot on things I do, so hopefully these vids would be good reference material, coupled with some lessons and some free practice. Could anyone who's ordered the DVDs let me know how long they take to arrive after ordering as I believe they're from USA. Also are they likely to attract import tax?

Many thanks

Billy

Call them up and explain what you are trying to do. You might need to work a little to get past the receptionists and speak to an instructor; but it would help to pre warn them what you want; deconstrcuting and reconstructing your skiing may take a little time; so be prepared!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
blert596 wrote:

Many thanks

Billy

Over 1 week and less than 2 IIRC... should be about 7 working days I think... USPS can only track until it leaves US so not really sure...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
little tiger, Thanks for that. Have ordered the basic set to begin with to see how I get on.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tinyman, that's a fantastic story. Son turns into instructor and teaches his dad! Brilliant. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
blert596 wrote:
little tiger, Thanks for that. Have ordered the basic set to begin with to see how I get on.

Very Happy

The indoor slopes should be pretty good training terrain I'd think although I've only ever seen them in video/photo...

I spent my 'early season' (read small puddles or carpets of man made) days in Oz working on technical skills so that when the real snow came I could ski better on that and hence enjoy it more...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
blert596 wrote:

Many thanks

Billy

my son went to snozone in glasgow and the instruction was ok, he was a complete beginner.
they did try and get him to concentrate on the basics rather than how fast he can get down the slope.

to be honest thinking of getting lessons at snozone myself as last time i had lessons i was 14-15.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Discs arrived today so will see exactly how bad I am tonight Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle wrote:
pam w,
Quote:

...to be able to ski until I am 80.
That describes me, my motivation and my slowly but steadily improving skills to the letter!

You dont look a day older than 75 wink
ski holidays
sev112, how kind of you to say so (though I didn't know we'd met.)
latest report
tomstickland, Same.
This year did an intermediate group course in Andorra, like everyone else I thought I could do it ok, on the first morning after the ritual grading run I was put into the higher intermediate along with 9 other people who can ski quite competently. Less than an hour later all our techniques had been completely pulled apart and the new foundations put in place. As with yourself I was fine on reds and able to muscle my way down blacks, but TBH really didn't enjoy them. By e end of day 2 we were all cruising down listed blacks as we did on blues the day before, the change was unbelievable. Then the snow started to fall, our lesson ended with "drop the kids off early and be at the lift for 9 o'clock, we're going to be laying some tracks tomorrow".
I've never skied powder or deep stuff, in the morning we found ourselves perched at the top of an unpisted black with 18 inches of fresh on top. We got our instructional talk at the top and off he launched himself, three turns later his skis stuck and he got ejected out of both bindings and disappeared in the snow, howling with laughter I launched, skis close together, trying not to lean back, lent back and my skis stuck, I got ejected out of both bindings and also got lost in the snow. After that we had 3 hours of instruction for deep off piste powder and things moved on really quickly, the filling day was in powder in trees.
I would recommend to anybody who thinks they can do it but hasn't had a lesson in a few years to get some lessons. My skiing is so much easier, much less effort is needed to get much better results.
And I now look for and genuinely enjoy blacks.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
sev112, how kind of you to say so (though I didn't know we'd met.)

i know it's 25 really Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy