Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Club Med Review, Aime La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm writing this review because the club Med experience was very different to any other skiing experience I've had. Think Butlins on Snow, but with French flair.

I went to Club Med Aime La Plagne with my 6 year old daughter, Spudette, for a week starting Sunday 6th Feb, the week immediately before the start of the French holidays. We travelled with two other families with similar aged children so Spudette had a ready made group of friends. It was an all inclusive package, this meant flight (from Gatwick), transfer, accommodation, all food, all booze, lift pass and five full days tuition with ESF for both Spudette and I. It did not include gear hire. I had my own kit (skis were transported free) but hired skis and boots for Spudette. Total cost was £2,006.

The flight was with Thompson Airways, the bus transfer went smoothly enough and we were taken direct to the Club Med hotel, an ugly multi storey block on the slopes just downhill of the main Aime La Plagne monster building. Unusually the weeks run Sunday to Sunday rather than the more normal Saturday changeover. This means that you get to ski on the final Saturday when the slopes are quiet.

This Club Med is a child friendly affair, other posher ones are apparently adult only.

The child care was exemplary. Facilities for 4 to 11 year olds (The 'Mini Club') have their own staff. Children are dropped off at the Mini Club from 8.15 onwards each day in their ski clothes, with goggles, gloves etc in a bag. The Mini Club gets them kitted up for skiing (it has its own boot and ski store) and gets them out on the slope for their lessons, which are something like 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. The Mini Club shuts at 5pm but is then open from 7 tol 9 in the evening. It is not open on the final Saturday. Spudette had done three lessons at the Hemel indoor slope, and this was sufficient to promote her from the very bottom class to the next level up, 'Flocons'. Her skiing started on a small area outside the hotel with a moving carpet lift and a small beginners button tow. By day two her (English speaking) class was using the nearby easy four seater chair, and by day 3 they were tackling blue runs and going further afield.

My ski instruction was less impressive. I registered myself at level 3b (the third highest group) but rapidly got promoted to the next level. The class was too large, consisting of me, 11 Israeli men, and, surreally, a Cambodian lady. Instruction was very much of the 'follow me' variety, with the occasional stop for a drill, there was no personal feedback. On the other hand we did get to visit every corner of the resort, and had fun in the terrain park, a boarder cross course, and a specially set up slalom course. Instruction was for 21/2 hours in the morning, and the same in the afternoon, Monday to Friday. On days three and four we did 'full days', ie 5 hours straight through, 9 till 2, with a 15 minute drinks stop at 12.00. This enabled us to get to a couple of the more remote areas. I was happy enough though, the other adults I'd travelled with were all near beginners, so I was happy to have people to ski with.

Food and booze was all included in the holiday price. Meals were buffet affairs, with a vast range of dishes available each day at meal times. Outside meal times cakes and nibbles were normally available around the bar area. At lunchtime a barbecue was set up on the Sun terrace beside the ski and boot room. On the days when we had morning and afternoon lessons we skied back to the hotel for lunch, and were met by Club Med staff offering wine and canapés as we skied to a halt. It's not easy removing skis while juggling poles, a glass of white wine and a canapé, but all very civilised. Drinks were normally ordered at the bar, with the difference that no money changed hands. There was a steady supply of decent wine available at meal times. I think some drinks do incur a charge, such as single malt Scotch and posher wines, but I was happy to stick with Kronenburg, the house red plonk and the occasional cocktail.

As stated above, the children's mini club was open from 7 till 9 in the evening. Spudette did not go to these evening sessions, but I think the main activity was to prepare for a childrens' show on the final (Saturday)' evening. There was usually some form of entertainment laid on in the evening. The Club has it's own 'theatre' with stage, sound system and lights. At 9.00pm each evening there was a little organised sing and dance to pop songs for a few minutes to round off the childrens' day. After that was normally an adult disco through to about midnight.

The Saturday evening show was surprisingly good, with the children's turns interspersed with acts from the Club Med staff.

What else? Skies and boots are kept in secure storage, with lockable ski racks allocated to each room. The adult hire equipment seemed reasonable quality, with newish looking boots and skis from Rossignol.

One final thing, for some reason the Club was full of Israeli guests. I would guess at least 50% Israeli. Apparently Club Med has a high profile in Israel, and is seen as a standard option for skiing holidays. It even had a number of Hebrew speaking staff working there, including some of the Mini Club staff.

So, there you have it; many would probably regard the whole setup as a complete nightmare, but if you like your skiing holiday organised for you, or if you have a young family it makes a lot of sense. It is also a good way to control your holiday costs. It would be entirely possible to go the week without spending any cash in the resort. I bought a couple of drinks (when we stopped for a quick drink on the 'all day' lessons), a tube of suncream and an ESF badge for my daughter. The formula appears to be, keep the kids entertained and the adults well fed and watered and everyone will have a good time. Spudette certainly enjoyed herself and is now a skier, with an ESF 'Flocons' stamp and badge to prove it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glad you enjoyed most elements. It really isn't for everyone but it is great for what it is. Fun, easy, uncomplicated ski holiday.

I actually like the fact the lessons are more like guiding but I suppose if someone is looking for technical training they could well be disappointed.

The Israelis and the Russians are definitely getting more and more on each holiday I go on so I think they must be an ever growing market for Club Med.

The posher ones do allow kids but there is no child care facilities. The adult only one in Val Thorens is definitely not posh but is meant to be party, party, party (not that I've been).

I do go on other non CM ski holidays but I always end up spending so much money and quite honestly don't have as much fun or do as much skiing as when I go CM. 18 days until my next one and I cunnit wait!

Good, detailed review Spud9
Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy