Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tunnel La Curta at Ortisei

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're off to Selva soon (for the third time) and I've just been having a look at the piste map to see how easy it would be to do the Alpi Di Siusi without too much bussing and walking. I see that there is now a tunnel marked that goes through Ortisei from the bottom of the run down from and chair back up to Seceda. There's no little train marked like the one in Santa Christina, so what is the tunnel? Is it snow filled to ski one way, or just a walk way to keep you clear of the traffic? Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, I've found some of the answer, myself. The Ortisei website says that it's a mix of escalators and moving carpets. I'd still be interested to know how easy this makes it to get from Seceda to Alpi di Siusi.
I'm not keen on walking (in ski boots) but some of my party really hate it and I would like to warn them if it's an issue.
Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On a morning visit to Ortisei a few weeks ago we actually done the walk you are talking about. From the top of Seceda you can get the cable car down to a point just above Ortisei and then get a gondola down to the village. I think the ski slope from Seceda also ends at the base station of the gondola in the village. From the gondola base station you walk though a tunnel that has (slow) moving carpets and then you take a few escalators down to street level. Walk straight ahead a hundred yards or so and you will come to the main shopping street and small square with the bus station in the middle of it. Cross straight over the shopping street, thro the square and then cross the main road and across the river. Once across the river, you will turn right and just follow the road/pavement straight to the ALpe Di Siusi gondola. When you are nearly at the gondola station the road/path does climb up to it. This walk is absolutely fine in trainers/walking shoes and takes no more than ten minutes max from the Seceda gondola station in the village. However I personally would hate to do it in ski boots and having to carry skis. The only saving grace is that most of the walk is on flat ground. There is an alternative way to get there. When you get to the shopping street/square, turn right and walk up the (slight) hill until the road starts to veer to the right. Ahead of you should be the Hotel Cavalinno Bianco. Turn left here and follow the road which will then lead you to a foot bridge over the main road and straight to the gondola station for ALpe Di Siusi. If you get the ski bus from Selva it will drop you off at the bus station in Ortisei so you will only save a few minutes walk this way. An easier way to avoid walking would be to get the ski bus from Selva or ski via Ciampanoi to the Monte Pana chairlift. Get the chairlift up to Monte Pana and then get the bus to Saltria on the Alpe Di Siusi. Once at Saltria you can then start skiing. You can return the same way or get the gondola down to Ortisei and then get the ski bus back or depending on time ski up to Seceda and down to ST Christina and then up to Ciampinoi and back down to Selva. Best of luck however you do it. The Alpe Di Siusi is a lovely area ( I must remember to post my Alpe Di Siusi trip report at some point) and has a lot less skiers than you find on the Sella Ronda Circuit.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the information, Jimmybog. It sounds like the bus from Monte Pana to Saltra is the way to go. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I think the ski slope from Seceda also ends at the base station of the gondola in the village.

Yes, it does.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Moondog, although I never quite made it, I would agree that
Quote:
the bus from Monte Pana to Saltria is the way to go.
When I got to Monte Pana it looked like the bus ran every 40 mins (was early afternoon by then so I decided not to go, it might run more frequently earlier in the day). If you arrive with time to spare, then take a go up the Monte Pana chair and take either red back down, I found these to be very pleasant runs.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I thought the tunnel at Ortisei makes the area so special.

It was like walking through a town centre except you are on escalators and moving carpets most of the time like in an airport. It doesn't take long and by following the crowd you will be in the chairlift on the opposite side of the valley to Alpes Du Siusi in no time at all. There is a bus ride in the last leg from Alps Du Siusi back to the funicula of Santa Cristina. Allow a full day for this loop as the area is huge.

In my second visit to Dolomites we stayed in Arabba but took a day off drive to Ortisei to refresh our experience there by going up the tunnel and had lunch there.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep, take the bus from Monty Panasar, it's the least hassle route. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We skied in Seiseralm last week and did the tunnel route. All fine - the moving stairway is very slow though and stationary pedestrians gum things up a bit. No queue for the Seiseralm cable car but 30 min plus ones for the 2 person chairs the other side. After that the lifts were great - mostly modern 4/6 packs with v short waits. Buses from sAltria to monte pana ran every 15 mins when we were there - a lovely bus ride too
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
2011 Bus Timetable available here.

http://www.valgardena.it/download/gardena/pdf/skibus/201011/Monte_Pana_Saltria_201011.pdf
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are off to Selva next Monday and although I know Alta Badia well, this will be our first time based in Selva. I have also been looking at spending a day over in Alpe de Suisi, can you get there easily direct by ski bus or do you have to take the tunnel from Santa Cristina?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Probably the quickest way is to get the ski bus to Sankt Christina, chairlift to Monte Pane and then the bus to Saltria. That way you avoid the slow chairs at the top of the lift up from Ortisei.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks guys. We took the bus from Monte Pana to Saltria rather than the walkway through Ortisei. The bus ride was an eye opener. the bus drivers do a great job getting the busses over what is in parts just a track. On the way back, in a longer coach, the back suspension was bottoming out with such a noise that I thought that it would collapse!
We made a late start and were over cautious about getting back so we didn't ski all of the area but my friends loved it. All easy stuff but few people and sunshine so very pleasant. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ha Ha, yes that bus journey is an eye opener. There has been some talk on the Alpin forum about a possible chairlift or gondola from Monte Pana to Saltria which would make the journey a bit easier/quicker, but I don't think we will see this for a while yet. Glad you enjoyed the Alpe Di Siusi area. I skied there the whole week in early February and loved every minute of it. On the piste map, I counted at least 50 different establishments where you could get something to eat/drink. Not bad for an area with only 60km of slopes!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There will never be a lift from Monte Pana to Saltria because the bus takes half an hour and the terrain is fairly flat, though there are a few valleys on the way. NB the bus costs EUR 10 return. Going to Selva for the 14th time in January, we would like to ski more at Alpe di Suisi but Ortisei definitely needs to connect its two skiing areas better.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy