Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Europe/Chris Reynard - Children's ski holiday left in ruins.

Poster: A snowHead
Mount Grace School - c120 children? - c£90,000? (this thread)

Mount Grace communications with Skiing Europe are surprisingly posted here:
http://www.mountgrace.org.uk/PDF/letters/

Lots of info about SE AITO bond being cancelled and a personal email from Chris reynard with offers of alternate holidays. Looks a mess.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blastfromthepast wrote:
Have skimmed this thread.

Seems to me that the company needs to be forced into liquidation by a creditor. Debt of £750 is sufficient.

Alternative might be to get it wound up in the public interest but instinct is that that will take longer.

Position can then be properly investigated by a liquidator (happy to act !)

Anyone know who Bank's the company -might provide another avenue ?

A bounced cheque in the name of Skiing Europe is from HSBC Poole.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Togger

The problem is that you would need to subscribe to a Companies House service and Dun and Bradstreet - and it doesn't make economic sense for every school to do so.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stephen101, Companies House is £1 per document. I also use Snoop4Directors. Ask for trade references? Google searches. It isn't costly or difficult. ANY school burser should be checking out their suppliers regardless of what the LA do.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jeez, this bloke has trousered over a million quid of parents' money.

The DTI should know about this thread, as should the FSA as I bet he doesn't have a Consumer Credit License.

Someone should also mail it to every local authority, so the damage is stopped now.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller, Totally agreed. Interesting how many apologists were saying that being on an LEA list was sufficient due-dilligence a few pages back.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoat of the dead wrote:
Bode Swiller, Totally agreed. Interesting how many apologists were saying that being on an LEA list was sufficient due-dilligence a few pages back.

Totally agree, also as already said many pages back, he is trading whilst insolvent, this is fraud end of, what are the police doing about it. Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
leedsunited wrote:
...what are the police doing about it. Shocked
My guess, nothing. Serious Fraud Office not interested below several million and local cops will probably view it as a civil matter. CPS will want a more nailed-on criminal case. I reckon Reynard's only worry is his personal exposure (because he'd made his Ltd Co dormant and traded as an individual) but, even then, someone has to be willing to spend the money to prosecute. Sorry to say this but he's got away with it thus far and will probably continue to do so. There's always another mug just around the next corner.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, I see there is a new serious of Watchdog starting next week, has anybody pointed the BBC, News of the Screws, Sunday Times travel section etc to this thread? or post him up on WikiLeaks, that normally gets somebodys attention Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've had a few drinks, but after readingthis, i think Reynards a C**t.

Sorry kids.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spiky1013, I think youve summed it up in the least words possible.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have no connection with any of this other than I don't like to see winkers like this continue to get away with shafting people so everyone, please all email a brief synopsis to watchdog@bbc.co.uk. If enough people do then I'm sure something might happen. They often pick cases that have generated a lot of correspondence and frequently also get someone in from either the police / tax / trading standards in to ask them what they're going to do about it.

Just penning my email now...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dsoutar, Good idea. Why not paste it here to help persuade / make it easy for any waverers?
I can remember being shocked by the Lyme Bay tradgedy at the time and I find it hard to believe that the bloke behind it, is still allowed anything to do with school trips.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
daveyladboy wrote:
The tally to date appears to be:
February Half Term
Reading Grammar School - 100 children - £90,000 (www.getreading.co.uk)
Tavistock College - 120 children - £90,000 (BBC News)
Tonbridge Grammar School - 33 children - c£27,000? (www.thisiskent.co.uk)
Easter Hols
Meole Brace School - 38 children - £41,000 (www.shropshirestar.com)
Beechwood Park School - c38 children? - c£35,000? (this thread)
Then factor in unpaid staff, coach companies, lift passes, ski hire & hotels from the trips that did get away.
Nice.
I'd be on my toes to, say, Morocco. No extradition, could live like a king, maybe squeeze in some skiing in it's nascent high-atlas resorts. Lie low, then start a company called skiingnorthafrica.

http://www.mountgrace.org.uk/PDF/letters/

^^^^

Ok, so is that the list of shafted schools so far? PM me any others and I will keep adding them to this post. Just thought it would make it easier for those that are going to contact their LEA and Watchdog. I will do both today.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I just phoned my LEA and they tell me that so long as the provider passes a risk assesment then it is up to the school to choose ANY supplier? Have I received duff info? They advised me to contact the local Trading Standards office as they would then look into it and issue a bulletin to schools. The Council wont do anything otherwise at it could found to be slander rolling eyes should have know Laughing
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, the point is why the provider passes a risk assessment. If you want to stir this up, in parallel with contacting Trading Standards, raising the matter with a councillor might get some action . Good luck.
snow conditions
Ok, so I've phoned Trading Standards (local number got it from the Council) who put me through to Consumer Direct. Gave her all the information - she must think there's something in it as it is potential criminal activity and she is passing the information to Trading Standards. I suggest anyone reading this thread do the same. I will also write my email to Watchdog.
latest report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
:

The LEAs are becoming less and less repsonsible for schools activities. The big society means they run their own affairs and need help to avoid things like this occuring again. The LEA offered a service to look over the risk assessment [apparently our process is good! hate to see a bad one!] it is a £ transaction and a service without responsibility - the LEA saw and found nothing. Some LEA are more involved and did have SE listed - it is not one picture for all LEAs.

I think only the hard way will work. A group contacted every school on the SE brochure, all the schools we knew who booked [thanks ski instructors for helping with that one] tradings standards, county councils, every business linked on the SE site. Nothing slanderous just asked them to read the blog and news about the firm and make their own decisions to "do the right thing"

BBC watchdog/rogue Traders and others have logged it and need more noise so keep mailing them and everyone else. Trading standards are duty bound to reply to you.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 6-06-11 8:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
It's all very well saying that every School Bursar should check every school supplier and not rely on the LEA but:
1) Many School Bursars sadly lack the skills and resources to do so, especially if they find something untoward;
2) They made the not unfair assumption that the LEA was actually doing the checks as it was their job to do so;
3) There does not appear to be a clear instruction to Bursars that it is their responsibility
4) I suspect some schools are pretty unclear whether such matters should be handled by bursars, teachers, head teachers etc.
5) It is a pretty inefficient way of doing things to have the checks repeated many times over - and it makes it more difficult to audit and review such processes to see that they are being carried out.

The fact is if some local authorities as done their job as well as some others then these problems would not have occurred.

That said it does appear to be an absolute mess at the moment - and given the changes going on in school structure perhaps Mr Gove should think about issuing some clear guidance as to who is responsible for what.

On pursuing Reynard legally - I've said it before, but the best way of stopping a sole trader trading is by Trading Standards investgating whether fraudulent trading is occurring - they have the power to do so as well as looking into breaches of the Package Holiday regulations. So if you want to do something complain to Trading Standards - and also ask you MP to take the matter up with Trading Standards as well - the more people who do so the more likley they are to act.
ski holidays
OK, I have emailed this to my local Secondary school - worth a quick copy and paste Wink

Quote:
As a local I would just like to pass on some information I have become aware of regarding a supplier for skiing holidays for schools. I am a keen skiier and this information has come through word of mouth though I believe there is sufficient cause for concern, which can easily be verified with other schools. The company is Skiing Europe, run by Chris Reynard, based in Devon. Despite accepting full payment from parents the holidays are not being honoured. In some cases the company is offering a last minute change (of Hotel, Country and mode of transport, from flight to bus) though most worryingly one school has seen Chris turn up a few days before the trip to announce there is no accommodation or transport booked and he has no money to pay for any (his website is still running as is his bookings office, which appears to be running normally, soliciting sales). As the schools who are being offered last minute changes can not verify that the accommodation is suitable or even if they have a booking they are choosing to cancel the holidays due to childrens safety. The schools I am currently aware of are

February Half Term Holidays affected
Easter Hols
Beechwood Park School - c38 children? - c£35,000?
Mount Grace School - c120 children? - c£90,000? (this thread) http://www.mountgrace.org.uk/PDF/letters/

see also this discussion on http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74146

I am not aware if you do use this company, but I just wanted to make you aware of the information I have come accross.

I have informed Consumer Direct who are passing the information to Trading Standards.

I obviously included my name and contact details.
ski holidays
noskitrip wrote:
...the LEA saw and found nothing.
Which is a crime in itself. It means they didn't look.

As SE are answering their phones, have they been made aware of this thread and have they been invited to take part? Toofy Grin
latest report
achilles wrote:
Shimmy Alcott, the point is why the provider passes a risk assessment. If you want to stir this up, in parallel with contacting Trading Standards, raising the matter with a councillor might get some action . Good luck.

as I dont know if my school use them then I dont think I can raise it with my MP. I have emailed the school and if they have used the company in the past then I will contact my MP.
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, wow. You are a fighter. As I don't have any children still at school this one is way outside my remit. But respect for you on this one - and, once again, the best of luck.
latest report
achilles, just a few calls and emails - hope others do the same. I know no one involved but every extra voice should be enough to get someone acting seriously on this.
snow report
If anyone wishes to email their MP/County Councillor then the linked website is a useful way of doing so.
ski holidays
An update...
www.mountgrace.org.uk
snow report
daveyladboy, Interesting - so the school's coughing up to the parents while it pursues other parties. Wonder how non ski trip parents will feel about £90k cut in school budget in other areas should worst come to the worst? No winners in all this except maybe the obvious party.
latest report
I take it the school (or someone's lawyers) is aware of this thread? I see it's taken down all reference to the ski-trip from its website now (maybe as of 18:25, as that's the modification date on the Spring_2011 folder in that letters link).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah - the homepage had an update informing parents that the school was to refund parents in two installments, on June 1st and October 1st, whilst it pursued skiing europe, the insurers and the local authority. The refund could come more quickly in the event of hardship, or could be put towards a 2012 ski trip.
It thanked parents for their patience, support and understanding - and it's a shame it was swiftly removed because, again, it was exemplory in it's tone, transparency and level of communication with parents/carers. As you say GrahamN, maybe they noticed the way in which the website hit-counter spiked following posts on snowheads...
I depart with my school party (including my daughter - who I paid for) in 48 hours, and we can't wait. I'm so relieved we don't have to deal with any of these problems and I feel very sorry for all those caught up in this mess.
I have to say the facebook page relating to all this mentions 'ski europe', another company altogether, which doesn't help at all.
I hope 'watchdog' and other media outlets (I contacted an investigative journalist about this some weeks ago and I'm eagerly awaiting his expose - he's followed Reynard's companies for years...) get on the case soon. This thread's been up for so long, had so many posts, and so many hits that there's clearly a lot of public interest/outcry - I'm surprised nobody's championing the cause for official invesigation, asset seizure etc. Could this all be mired in legal fears of jeopardising convictions because of coverage?
ski holidays
daveyladboy, Trading Standards got back to me twice today, fair play. They have spoken to the Local Trading Standards (Devon) and have said that this issue has been flagged up and is being looked into. How long that will take...who knows? Sad I'd urge anyone reading this thread to contact their local schools highlighting this thread and the schools that we are aware of that have so far been affected, at least then, while the grand cogs get into gear, schools will think twice before giving another penny to this company.

Last time I looked, we still werent getting on to page 1 of the Google search - do we need more clicks?
latest report
If googled as 'skiing europe, chris reynard' or vice versa, it's up there on page one. Just 'skiing europe' is too vague...
snow report
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-12995853

Here's two more for the list, Purbeck School in Wareham (42 pupils x £800 each) and Ferndown Upper School (no numbners mentioned) both in Dorset.
snow conditions
This is becoming outrageous - is anyone aware of any cases where Reynard is actually meeting his contractual obligations? How can anyone who continues trading and seeking to attract new business while failing to meet their existing contractual commitments in a business where the customers pay in advance not present prima facie evidence of fraudulent trading? Why are Trading Standards still looking into this rather than taking some action which put a stop to the problem? Don't they feel that they have an obligation to defend the law and protect consumers? They were warned of the problem at half term and it arising again on an even larger level at Easter - and still no action from the authorities. Goodness knows what sort of corners Reynard may be cuting if he is actually running any holidays at all this Easter.

I notice BBC Watchdog is back tonight and they are always saying they want messages from victims of rogue traders.
ski holidays
I think Reynard needs to become a victim Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad .
ski holidays
Basoid

Interesting that the schools concerned are in Dorset which is where Reynard used to be based and where one of the Companies he owned undertook corporate manslaughter - you would have thought that the local authority might have shown a little more care in who they allowed their schools to do business with.
latest report
28 children from Ferndown
snow conditions
I have now also emailed the BBC to ask them to run this on the National News, here;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/newsid_4030000/newsid_4032600/4032695.stm

I linked in http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-12995853 and informed them of the other schools we are aware of

February Half Term Holidays affected
Easter Hols
Beechwood Park School - c38 children? - c£35,000?
Mount Grace School - c120 children? - c£90,000?

I also mentioned that his website is still running and his sales people are still taking calls.

PLEASE SEND YOUR EMAIL - LETS STOP THIS MAN!!!!!
snow conditions
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Curse-you-Chris-Reynard-of-Ski-Europe/164795746904061

Thats the facebook page - please like it and share it!
snow report
This topic is going to be discussed on 'You & Yours' on radio 4 12.05 tomorrow (Friday)
snow report
genepi, that's great!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy