Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No skier should have to suffer a fracture like this ...

Poster: A snowHead

... especially a Pole. I'd bring you the X-ray, but we don't have it yet.

Any comments on this sad scene?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Q demonstrates to 007 the new offensive ski poles
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My record is 3 pole breaks in a week. But then I used to fall over a lot in the early days.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's very impressive. What about your carrot - do you break that when you fall over?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks likes my pole after a Spanish snowboarder crashed into my in Livigno a few years back. I shouted a few expletives at her that would outdo Madonna!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, my carbonfibre Goode pole was chopped at the basket by a skidding skier. It's always worth asking at a lifty's hut if it happens - so many of them fall off chairlifts!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My brother managed to break a pole while hitting my sister's boot to get the snow off.

It was hilarious as he is a bit of a comedian anyway, but the funniest part was when he stuck them in the ground! I think the Austrians and Germans thought we were mad. The most annoying part is that he managed a sneaky swap with me while I was sitting down and without bothering to check I just hooked my poles over my wrists and off I went and obviously at the first turn and pole plant I went a long way down. Needless to say he had the last laugh!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One of my friends has a record of breaking a pole on each of the last two holidays. Both time's by colliding with people and then landing in a heap, with the poles underneath.
The last time involved him colliding with another skier face on (Both turned to face each other across the slope), my mate put is arms out, and ended up 'hugging' the other skier, as they proceded to roll down the piste. Still makes me laugh.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith, Carrot is generally fine. Aluminium poles do not last well when 125kg falls on them regularly. They generally break when straightened. Thankfully for my wallet I rarely fall these days. I also am very impressed by the "bendiness" of the carbon fibre poles
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is that Michael Palin in Pole 2 Pole ?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No, it's Michael Jackson.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith, Can't be the face is the wrong colour!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry, I should have explained it's Michael Jackson before he got frostbite.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've never broken a pole, but I have a collection of suitably "bent" poles snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Elizabeth B, try straightening them and you will have a brand new collection snowHead
snow conditions
The important thing when trying to straighten a (moderately) bent pole is to spread the rebend, rather than it happening at one point. My father used to swear by bending it over a female bottom (I wouldn't dare suggest that myself on this forum!)
Do they deliberately make the steel poles slightly brittle? Perhaps more so than in my father's day?

When I was in an avalanche one of my poles was found afterwards, very bent (too much to even try straightening). I wanted to keep it as a souvenir, but my wife already worries about my off-piste skiing so I never told her about the incedent (and consequently had to throw out the pole).

More of a problem is pole-baskets coming off. It probably happens much more to off-piste skiers, but i find it happens regularly. I try to carry a spare one in my back-pack, but you have to get them in the resorts: I cannot find an English ski shop which has any.
ski holidays
Disgruntled punter wishes he'd stuck with Jack Daniels, rather than Paul Daniels....
snow report
Carbon or graphite poles are a must. They are quite hardy and don't bend out of shape. The may snap completely but I have never known this, but then Ali poles will do this and I would think you stand to get more wear and tear out of carbon. I have had mine for 6 years or so. Just make sure you can fit them with powder baskets or if you don't need them, ordinary baskets easily enough. Its funny how many resorts shops don't cope with replacement baskets very well on some poles.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy