Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon helmets - audio ear pads?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone!

Apologies if another thread covers this, I couldn't find anything when I searched...

My husband and I have just bought ourselves new helmets for snowboarding. We both went with the ones that felt like they fitted the best which happened to be Salomon ones. Now, my husband likes his music and when we had a look in the instructions leaflet it mentioned optional audio ear pads.

We've found some online which seem to be the right thing: http://www.lockwoods.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=2566

Has anyone used them and if so, what do you think? Are they worth it?

Thanks
KT
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not the Salomon ones specifically, but I use a K2 helmet that is wired for sound in a similar way.

It is massively better than earphones, which block out a lot of ambient noise. The helmet speakers can be set to a volume that you can hear your music, but also can hear if somone is approaching behind you, or if someone shouts to you on the slopes.

If you want to listen to music when skiing, this is the way to do it, IMO.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Monium

Sounds like it would be worth giving them a go then.

We just need to figure out how to take out the "removeable" ear pads - they're not looking all that removable at the moment Puzzled

Cheers
KT
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

+1. If the Salomon ones fit like the Giro ones (and from the picture on the link it looks as though they do) you just yank 'em out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

+1. If the Salomon ones fit like the Giro ones (and from the picture on the link it looks as though they do) you just yank 'em out.

+1 I've a Giro helmet and as pam w said, just give them a tug and the pads should come out (if they are anything like the Giro ones)

And as for listening to music, absolutely the right way to go. I usually am 'plugged in' when on lifts, or if I'm being particularly unsociable. Sometimes forget to turn off the music when I head down the slope, but it's always at a volume that you are aware and can hear what's going on around you. Must be the fact that unlike in-ear or over the ear earphones, your ears are not completely 'blocked off'

Just wish I could find a better cable and remote controller for mine as the Skullcandy one that is in the Giro tunes ups is rubbish rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Just wish I could find a better cable and remote controller for mine as the Skullcandy one that is in the Giro tunes ups is rubbish

they're not very good or reliable products. I had a "Red" audio set in my Giro helmet, for complicated reasons to do with my OH not being able to find the push button "mute" on the Red ones. they fitted fine, but the wiring on all of them is a bit vulnerable - they don't last well. I tried to replace them (having not been able to find any suitable giro ones) but the current "Red" ones are different. I bought them in Snow and Rock (who did quite a bit of hunting for me, to find them). The fitments which go into the slots in the helmet are completely different and don't fit - we had to chop them off a bit, to match the old ones, then I had to do some creative stuff with rolled up little bits of gaffer tape, and some sewing onto the straps, to get them to stay in. They do, now, but I wonder how long the wiring will last - this is my third set.

However, I do enjoy the music. You're not completely blocked off, they're easy to mute when you want to talk, or need some silence. Just be aware that the Snowheads Thought Police will tell you you're a menace to society, ready to mow down small children, and probably dogs too, without a backward glance. wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is a bluetooth one available with Salomon but it is not cheap

Have one in my lid love them
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I had a chat to a very helpful woman from the shop who said that they sell a lot and she can't think of any that have been returned so she reckons they must work and fit.

We've gone ahead and bought one each and we're off to the alps this weekend so we'll see what they're like...fingers crossed! And, of course, we promise to at least look back at any small children / dogs / anything else that we run over - we might even wave wink

Once we get them we're going to have a look at them to see what the fitting is like which hold them to the helmet. The ears pads which came with the helmets really don't want to come out and “tugging harder” makes both of us wince when its our brand new, never been worn, rather expensive helmets... I'm sure my OH will lose all tentativeness once the new gadgets arrive though!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Folks,
I've found a decent way round this.....I too was on the hunt for decent tune ups but I found by far the best solution (for me anyway)...I use a little iPod nano (new one) buried in my jacket, and my now second Scott helmet...straightforward enough right?, but what I do different is, I use the head phones of an iPhone 4 because they've a play/pause/forward/backward/volume buttons on them...if you're ear muffs on yer helmet are cushioned then you're gonna get loud fitting or if they're vented you'll have to turn it up a bit if you like.....but all in-all it's deffo the most workable solution I've found.

If some asks you a question you simply click the white stick to pause....then click to continue on.

I tried it in St Anton and was delighted with the results....and I'll be doing it again in Kitzbuhel in 2 weeks time.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Still haven't worked out a word of dazman's post but I'm sure it's probably a great solution.

If you can remove the ear pads it'll probably say in the instructions, or you could try folding them into the helmet to see where the tabs attach.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The ear pads arrived this morning and we have managed to fit them. The original pads need a good strong pull to come out but they do eventually (mine were far more difficult than my OH's) and the new ones slot in. We found it best to pull gently at first and gradually increase the pressure until you're really putting your back into it with the helmet braced between your legs. The audio pads aren't as tight a fit (at all) but it doesn't look like they will come out while on the move and they have the advantage that you can get them off without being Mr Muscle rolling eyes

The sound quality is really very good - no distortion to the bass etc when the volume increases and a really good depth to the music at all volumes. Also, the ear pads themselves are as warm and comfortable as the originals. As pam say's, the wires do look to be the weak point - the connecting one between the pads and the mp3 player on mine isn't working properly out of the box (at certain volumes the sound doesn't come through properly so we think there is a loose connection). Its a detachable cable though and we have a spare one that I can use next week so I'll send it back to get a new one. Lockwoods were really helpful on the phone before we ordered so I'm sure there won't be any problem. My OH's works perfectly so I think its just me being unlucky.

We really like dazman's suggestion of having an mp3 player with a proper remote control - will need to see how much we actually have the music on before we invest though...

Overall, we're pretty impressed by them but I guess the real test will be next week once we're up on the mountain!

KT
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mounta1nGoat, It seems that kaoticturtle, got what I was saying.....if you're using an iPod, don't buy tune ups.....use the iPhone 4 head phones with it instead....it gives you full external control, and sounds a hell of a lot better.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hi - i am trying to work out too if the pads would fit in my Ranger Custom Air Salomon helmet too - it does seem v hard to get the pads out! Which model do you have and is there a slot that they go into?
cheers
russ

kaoticturtle,
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all, this is a really old thread I know but my salomon audio headphones were playing up last week while I was away so I want new ones. Any ideas where I can find some replacement ones? Cant find much online surprisingly Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Seems like it is impossible to find anyone selling the salomon audio pads separately Sad Any suggestions to alternative versions that fit?
ski holidays
I've got a Bolle helmet that's designed to have audio pads, but instead I just put a pair of iPhone headphones in them. Works just the same but doesn't cost any more money because I've already got the headphones spare anyway.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy