Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europes Best Resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone hope your all well

was just after some advice really, there is going to be a group of us going away next year around jan 2012, there will be borders and skiers ranging from beginner to inter skill levels, but we also love a bit of freestyle aswell.

have been to andorra a couple of times now and realy enjoyed the fact that you can visit other areas on the same lift pass so something similar would be great.

Was just wondering if anybody had any idea on what resort would be best and also what you guys feel the best resorts around europe are at this time?

Many Thanks Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ADH, Paradiski.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Far too subjective. I'd say Kitzbühel personally, by far my favourite so far and my least favourite was La Plagne. But there are probably lots of people who would thoroughly disagree with me. Decide what factors you look for in a resort (piste extent/type, pretty Alpine village versus ugly high rises, kicking nightlife versus sleepy family place, and above all budget) and we might be able to give you a more concentrated answer.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
davemk5golf, ischgl, great lift system for boarders snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i eckon if you're going relatively early season you have to consider high altitude/snowsure resorts, possibly with a glacier thrown in for good measure..........
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kaprun. I was there in January for a week - went there January 2010 as well (and going back for a long weekend at the beginning of March). Both times we had fantastic snow. This year was amazing snow wise, considering that many places, in particular France, have not had much. We had deep powder. 3000m, a glacier, 2 parks and the freeride runs. Zell am Zee is a not too long bus ride away.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Other big ski areas - Espace Killy (Tignes and Val D'Isere) or 3 Valleys (Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens & Les Menuires, amongst others) will make Andorra look small. There's a million different factors, but we've had great trips in Tignes and Courchevel in recent years, but I really like the big French resorts for sheer size and range of pistes available, plus we tend to go for catered chalets with our groups.

The levels of pistes in a lot of other resorts are higher than Andorra - bear this in mind if it is the only place you've been recently - a Black run in Andorra will be red in most of the big French resorts, and a red in Andorra only a blue. Worth knowing if you are looking at different resorts and looking to cater for beginner/intermediates.

Most big resorts have decent parks now for freestyle, one place that had a park I liked the feel of was Morzine/Avoriaz, also has access to a massive ski area at Portes Du Soleil.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Avoid Fench mega resorts - too expensive in comparison with what you have experienced (Andorra) or alternatives. Go to any of the Austrian linked resort/regions - Saalbach/Hinterglemm, Ski Amade etc., or alternatively the PDS in France staying in Morzine maybe to access a big (600 km of piste) region and good freestyle facilities (The Stash etc)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I normally agree with Ray but your mixed discipline group is much like mine and, much like mine, we did a few years in PdlC up to about 3 years ago.

Each year in January we do a 12-14 day trip, towards the end of the month in Tignes (Espace Killy). The place is vast, has pistes to suit everyone and has off piste to suit everyone. The parks are superb and the cost in January, is very similar on a per day basis, to skiing/boarding in Andorra. Because the resort is so high, good snow is pretty much guaranteed. This year the snow was superb in Jan.

It's true that most runs will be slightly steeper for their grading but if you enjoy Llarga, Mirador and Miguel you will be fine anywhere.

I loved the off piste in Grand Valira and I loved the epic equinox dumps which meant the lifts were open but the entire resort was un-pisted. EK gives you terrain to match any of this plus some much more challenging stuff, safe off piste (as always get a guide if you don't know the area well) and much longer runs on and off piste.

I also like La Plagne and Courchevel but EK is my current favourite for boarding.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bar shaker, anywhere will ge good, but EK can be a bit daunting imv especially for beginners etc. I was with a mate there in Dec who had had 3 or so hols previously on a board and also quite a few hols on skis too, but I found I had to really think about the routes etc to take him on his board. Some of the Blues can have sections that are like easy Blacks in other resorts, and even the nice Blues like Palafour ? had him stuggling with the flat sections.

If I was to take a mixed group some where then I think I would be considering the lowest skill level member of the group as a priority. From experience I had my first ever 3 snowboard trips to Tignes and I nearly killed myself trying to keep up with my more experienced skier mates and found myself on day 4 of boarding coming down Blacks and dodgy bits from the glacier etc - tough but quick learning curve - but with hindsight the cruisey blues of Saalbach or PDS would have suited me much better and suited the group just as well as Tignes.

For an intermediate plus standard group you can not fault Tignes etc and I did that 2 years ago (Val D actually) with a group of 10 which worked out quite well Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's a fair point Ray.

Beginners don't have any snow-craft and any flat will catch them out. That said, other than the short middle section of Palafour and the blue run from Grand Motte to VC - Genepy, the blues around Tignes are all nice and fluid.

We don't know if it's the skiers or boarders that are beginners but if it's the boarders I would agree with you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bar shaker, as you say, all depends on the make up of the group, which we do not really know at the moment, but i am splitting hairs really as Tignes/Val D is pretty special and whereas many seem to like the tree lined slopes etc of some resorts I just love the brutal moonscape feel of high resorts like Tignes Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi davemk5golf

I'd recommend Kaprun too. Just got back from there two weeks ago and think it was a great resort. Our group had mixed levels from complete beginners to fully fledged experts and we found there was plenty to keep everyone happy. The lads really enjoyed the off-piste and more challenging runs whereas I was quite happy on the blues.

There are two main ski areas - the Maiskogel which is right in the resort and then the Glacier which is around a ten minute (free) bus journey away. This was only my third year so I found my feet on the Maiskogel and then headed out to the Glacier after a few days.

It's not a massive party town but there were still a few good spots and Zell Am See is just down the road.

We're heading back there again next year.

Good luck trying to find somewhere. I know it took us ages deciding where to go this year Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops wrote:
Tignes/Val D is pretty special and whereas many seem to like the tree lined slopes etc of some resorts I just love the brutal moonscape feel of high resorts like Tignes Very Happy

have to agree. Tignes is my fav so far, even the beginners loved it there. Only 1 beginner skier struggled while the rest got on with it. We took our beginner boarder off-piste one afternoon and he was amazed by his own capabilities. Ok he got injured eventually but still goes on about it to this day.

Also look at Les Arcs. A great place with a good mix of terrain to keep everyone happy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davemk5golf, be sure to look at Dolomiti Superski, but make sure it's in a blue-infested area to suit the beginners. Corvara, San Cassiano and La Villa/Pedraces all fit the bill. A local-area pass would probably be enough for the beginners; look at the full area for everyone else. If you have any speedsters then a double circuit of the Sella Ronda makes a great day, while anyone that can cope with a couple of lumpy reds will enjoy a single circuit. There are two or three parks and a couple of boarder cross runs dotted around to give the freestylers something to play on while the beginners have a calimero Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
davemk5golf, Serre Chevalier is usually good in January and very quiet. Lift queues hardly seem to exist at this time. It's well spread out and has plenty of tree skiing. There are some slow lifts up high and some drag lifts which lots of boarders hate, but you can avoid the drags easily with a bit of map study. It has a fair sized snowpark and plenty of off-piste opportunities both up high and through the trees.
latest report
realy appreciate all of your reply's, we were looking at tignes nice to have to heads up with regards to the runs as majority of us have only done andorra just for value for money and also we have a couple of first timers with us aswell. keep suggestions coming though still havent booked anything yet.

to be a bit more specific on requirements,

looking around £750 p/p inc lift passes,accom,flight,transfer.
a resort with good night life and we hate drag lifts Laughing
some people will be renting boards and boots but majority of us have our own gear.
love the idea of hardly any busy lifts but i know that might be a bit too much to ask for

will consider anywhere in europe or further a field ive got a good idea from what you guys have already suggested so thanks again
ski holidays
I use Mountain Sun in Tignes. They have their own rental gear (it's in good condition) and Tignes has excellent schools for newbies, plus great cruisy blues for those who don't want to be challenged just yet.

Second to that, La Plagne and Courchevel will give good snow and good pistes for recent learners.

You are also 'snow sure' in Tignes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy