Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing from Tignes to Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is it possible to ski from Tignes to Les Arcs? I saw a comment that said that it was possible. Is it very difficult to ski/find the way? How long does it take?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
19th_hole_eagle, if you do not know the area well then you need to take a guide. It is a long way and involves both down hill, travesing and even some up hill plus skating. Not easy and you need to be fit. You can also do a route to Champagny and then through La Plagne to Les Arcs. Pm me for any further details if you are an experienced touring skier.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn't say I was an experienced touring skier, but I am confident in deep snow off piste and I am young and pretty fit. How much down hill is there in comparison with the hard work? Is it a fun ski or more of a rewarding challenge? How long does it take? I am quite keen on the idea, but how much would a guide cost? Sorry for so many questions!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
19th hole eagle, you should check out Evolution2 in Tignes. I think they still offer the Tour of the Tarentaise as one of their full day courses/programmes? Meet in Tignes, Ski and tour/skin to La Plagne then Les Arcs. Pick up from mini-bus down in Villaroger, then drop off back up in Tignes.
Needless to say there will be more hard work than downhill, that's just the way it is on big days. Whole day would take as long as the slowest member of the group, so between 6 to 8 hours. Guide's are expensive unless there's a group of at least 4 sharing the cost. If you are on your own, Evo2 would be a less expensive option for you. As Snowcrazy mentions, a Guide is essential if you don't know the area.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have walked from Tignes to La Plagne and to Les Arcs in summer so know the route but would not dream of skiing it without a guide unless you are very experienced tourer. There is a lot of climbing for the amount of downhill you will get.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mogulski, having skied various routes between the two places many times and hiked the areas in summer, I am not sure I agree with you that, 'there is a lot of climbing for the amount of downhill you will get'. It depends on the route the guide takes you. The classic route is amazing, but you would not have walked that in the summer, it involves some very steep couloirs.

19th_hole_eagle, As I mentioned already. You will need a guide (about 360 Euros) for up to 5/6 people. Not cheap, but worth it. If you take a look at my facebook group page photos you can see some of the routes which we have already skied this season. Hope you have a good trip. It is snowing again now. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The classic route is amazing, but you would not have walked that in the summer, it involves some very steep couloirs.

It's interesting how different a route is, winter and summer. Even on our local black run, which doesn't seem a very big deal on skis, we found it pretty well impossible to walk safely down in summer - we had to get into the forest on the side, so we had the tree roots to give us a foot hold. And that's nothing like a "steep couloir" (though maybe it's because it's wide that it's not hard to ski).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
19th_hole_eagle,
Go to the Evolution 2 office in le Lac (just up Rue de la Poste from the Palafour chair) and ask if the are running the Tarantaise Tour that week. If so, book on & hope the conditions stay OK & that there are sufficient people (poor conditions or lack of people means it will not be run).
DO NOT try and do it without a guide.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy