Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Really tempted to buy some second hand skis.....any excellent ones to look out for?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys

Ok so im back from 1st time holl in Switzerland- OMG i love skiing!!!! I can now parallel turn (although i need to make this a bit more tidy, keep them closer together, and need to practice getting into a real rythm)

I want to learn to carve- i was born to go *fast* and pull G- not really that bothered about crazy stunts and tricks etc. Desperate to learn to carve Very Happy

I have another holl booked in a month and figure i may as well buy some skis as they are £90 to rent for a week anyway. I was using 160s (im 6ft, about 90kg) on the dry slope, but 170s felt fine on the real stuff

I will only buy them if i see a pair which are a real steal- ex rental, heavily discounted etc etc

Are there any specific models that i should keep an eye out for? So if i see them, i can snap them up!

Roughly how much cheaper are second hand skis?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
billy_boy_2010, The problem with buying ex-rental skis is that they will be pretty beaten up - the "spring" goes out of them- and will have the extra weight of "hire" (multi adjustable) bindings on them. It seems Decathlon have a sale on at present. You might be lucky.

There are no bad skis, but it is a question of what sort of thing you are suited to. Take advice in the shop.

I take it you already have your own boote - much more important.

snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you're going for bargains, you're unlikely to be able to picky with what you get. Beggars can't be choosers and all that. Having said that, you can get some great deals on good kit if your lucky. Ex-rental might be best avoided though for reasons stated above.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup own boots thx

Other than what I have written, what factors would determine what skis I'm suited too?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Look at the Decathlon own brand skis for circa 100 quid - at your current level they will be fine.
I doubt you will get what you are looking for thsi time of year - summer on ebay will be a better bet, but as you say, pay 100 ish at Decathlon and youve got some very servcieable planks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
billy_boy_2010, something with a short radius (12m) if you're learning to carve . 170/180 length sounds about right.
Or if you want to try something with a bigger radius for 50 quid.

These.http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=73914
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another possibility

http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Skis.html

Some brands I have never heard of, but amazing prices. They used to do Blizzards for silly money, too.

You often come across real reductions on "last year's skis". Since very often all that has changed is the pictures on the top sheet, these can be a great buy.

Brand wise, there is little to choose. Some say Salomons are soft and don't hold an edge, Atomics are supposed to be heavy. Fischers are seen as racy. Rossignols are French! Mostly generalised rubbish, as you can see.

Either way, take advice in the shop. They will not want to sell you something unsuitable. The nice thing will be that you know what you are stepping onto every time you go, and I think that will help you to learn.

snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
billy_boy_2010,
Quote:

I doubt you will get what you are looking for this time of year
agree-
If you can't find any now, then another option that may be more beneficial in the long term would be to wait until just after the seasons finished and buy
yourself a decent short radius set sized for the dryslope, practice, keep em reasonably sharp, by the time the next season comes around you'll have a much better idea of what you'll be looking for, for snow.
I managed to pick up a last season ski for £99 on ebay, Head wc sl with edges/bases as new (trashed now though!)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy