Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

first time with kids 2012!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Hope everyone is having a great season skiing, I know im a little early, but tryin to get ahead of the curve for next year!

Its going to be my little angels/demons first ski trip, 6yr boy, 5yr and 3 yr girl, just wondered if anyone had some useful advice or ideas of where to go, i.e ski schools and daycare type things.

Dont particularly want to destroy the bank in the process althought i have the feeling this isnt going to come cheap... but after seeing all the little bambino's flying past me on our latest trip i thought it was time I man'd up and got them out there, and stop being worried about how they will get on!

Any help or advice as usual, greatfully recieved!! Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Any help or advice as usual

My advice is take them out of school and go in low season.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yea i was pretty much thinking that! im sure they wont mind a week in the snow instead of same old school!! Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some people may disagree with this but...Try and get them used to skis and boots on their feet before you go and leave them in ski school. I've bought some second hand boots and ski for my youngest. Picked them up n e bay for £70 for both. At first he hated them, as I thought he might. Now he is walking round the carpets with them on (he' only 2 and 1/2) and asking us to pull him along. Henow cant wait to get out on the snow. The £70 is more or less what I'd pay in hire anyway and I can sell them when I get back for hopefully similar money.
Alternatively some of the snow dome do really good taster lessons for the kids on mini slopes which gets them ploughing before you go.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is really important that their first experience of ski school is a positive one. Try your hardest to arrange it so that there are english children in their group ,the instructors will nearly all speak english to a decent level but without english kids to speak to during the lesson it may be miserable. Even better if you can find english kids in the class within the same hotel as you (friends are important to encourage and challange each other.

Some of the large hotels with the likes of Nielson have ski schools attached to them. This will improve your chances of achieving the above points.

Dont ski all day, make sure there is other stuff to do, on our recent trip we tended to have a leisurely breakfast and a swim or go to the play area, have lunch then ski in the afternoon. Remember how tiring it will be for them so a lie in (if you are lucky) for the children might be better. Plus it tends to be warmer in the afternoon and there is not as much pressure to get everyone up fed dressed for ski school and at the meeting point.

There are plenty of cheaper options but the trip we have just done to Katschberg in Austria (just use the other hotel i mention in my trip report) has got my wife and 2 daughters really happy skiers which is what ultimately is the important part. Not the fastest or most stylish but now enjoying it unlike the previous trips where i was probably a bit pushy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
wondeful wonderful wonderful - go go go go go

The kids (hoepfullY) will show you a completely differnt side of skiing holidays

Am a bit of an Esprit supporter - they do a great job ; great child care and that really helps in getting them in to it without being "forced" by mum and dad

Youll also meet lotsof other parents either in eth same boat, or who have recently been so

Wonderful to see kids who make the difficulties adults have with skiing look really funny.

Enjoy Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I like the idea of trying to go some place local for a day or two, possibly even this season, before booking a week holiday.

If the kids have some time off in late March or April, that usually isn't as busy as the Feb school holiday (and can be warmer!). In 2008, Les Arcs offered free lessons and rentals to kids under (maybe including) 6 for a week in April that coincided with when my daughter was out of school. Some funny pics of that here http://www.skilodgingrental.com/Photos.php

It can also be worth checking at what age different areas offer kids free lift tickets- where I live now in Colorado kids have to be 4 or under at Vail/Keystone/Breckenridge, 5 at Copper/A-Basin/Loveland and 6 at Aspen/Snowmass. With many areas, the magic carpet or even the beginner lift is free or heavily discount.

With 3 kids, you are not going to want to have to carry gear a long way- best to stay close to ski school drop off/magic carpet/beginner area if you can. For their first few trips, it doesn't matter if you are staying in a smaller, less expensive resort (although you may feel differently depending on how much you want to ski on your own).

Especially with the 3 year old, don't expect her to spend much time on skis- it is more about being in the mountains, playing in the snow and having fun.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 18-02-11 1:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Go late in the season. Warmer and lighter.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alexsam97, From my own experiences. Aim for April time,as said,a lot warmer.Nothing will destroy a kids enthusiasm quicker than freezing!
Time is on your side...anywhere near a snow dome? All mine had there initial experience at Tamworth..and went on to learn there.All are now excellent skiers.The 5 and 6yr olds could easily be competent by next year,whilst the 3yr old will,at the very least,be able to get about(with a bit of help from Dad)
Don't waste a ski holiday learning to ski.Again,you have time.Do plenty of research and choose a suitable resort...for both you and the kids.
Don't confuse kids 'ski school' with actual structured lessons.Some are little more than child minding on snow.
At that age,take them out of school,and look for a good deal pre Easter.
Watch out for long treks to the lifts etc.You will be carrying most/all of their kit....not funny.
But above all,ask here for recommendations.Many of us have been there...and have the furrowed brows to prove it wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Consider Club Med. They looked after my 6 year old novice skier daughter wonderfully at Aime La Plagne. She skied all week and loved it. I'll do a full trip report when i have the time but their all inclusive package made a lot of sense in the family context. Butlins on snow, but with French flair. Keeping the children entertained and the adults well fed and watered equals win.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spud9, glad to hear she enjoyed the week! Good news - I look forward to reading your trip report Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowbizz at puy st vincent, premier neige at sainte foy and ski famille are all good suggestions as is ski esprit, as they all have some wrap around childcare.
Its good to have a swimming pool and other activities or the afternons, and some companies will do catered chalet some will do self cetering or both, and it will depends on what you want out of the holiday as to which will suit best. Self catering suits us as I love cooking and my kids often wont eat typical childrens food e.g fish fingers and chips etc. but somepeople would prefer the hassle of shopping cooking taken out of the equation.

If possible take kids out of school and go later as it will be warmer
Look for ski in/out if possible or nursery childcare in the accomodation as this will make life much easier, some esprit properties you need to get a ski bus which isn't much fun with the kids in tow.

Also think about whether driving or flying would suit you best we prefer driving so we can stop when we need to, but depending on how well your kids travel will depends on which method might suit you best

Dont expect huge amounts of skiing with kids in the first year, but it improves each year you get more skiing and the job for us in the first year was to make sure they enjoyed it, and wanted to go again.

Ours both had lessons at dry slop or snow dome so they knew what it felt like to have boots on etc.

Have fun
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It was our first family trip last year with our 2 boys aged 5 and 8. (and we had others in the party with younger children, the youngest being 3) I looked into this in great detail and for the 3 year old to go to ski school then the only option was France. I also found that for most places in Austria (and I think Bulgaria) the ski school was 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. That didn't sit well with me as we wanted to be able to ski with them in the afternoons, and thought 4 hours of ski school would be too tiring. Anyhow we went with Snowbizz and I have to say they were excellent, their set up was everything we needed and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, we are going again this year Very Happy
Our friends used the creche (for children up to 6 years old) and you can use this as much or little as you like, the ski school was brilliant - my children were skiing down blues and easy reds by the end of the week and skiing is all they've talked about since we've been.
I'm sure there's loads of other places too which are good. I would say that one thing to have high on your list would be ski in, ski out.
Happy hunting!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i have 3 small children who went skiing for the frst time this year. we went with snowbizz (we took eldest child only last year with snowbizz) and will be most likely booking with them again. It is brilliant for families with kids - the creche, the lessons, the resort, the proximity of everything. really recommend it to you. (we didn't fancy the chalets where the kids eat separatly to the adults as we like to spend time with them when we are on holiday)

I would also suggest you try and get at least the eldest 2 to learn to ski in the uk before you go - just so they are prepared for what to expect. the tamworth snowdome does cheaper lessons in the summer - i assume the other indoor slopes do also. and dry slopes all do lessons i think.

also you will need 2 sets of ski bottoms per child (in case of accidents) and 2 pairs of ski gloves - watch out for the aldi/lidl ones in autumn as they are cheap, or use ebay. take some large shopping bags (bag for life things) to allow you to cart around all their ski clobber when you have to.

i have a whole list of stuff about snowbizz somewhere, so if you want more specific advice on what to take there, let me know.

ski-in/ski out is the way to go, wherever you go.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks for all the advice everyone, certainly gives me alot to think about!! Smile

ive just got a qoute of snowbizz, and i must say they seem extremely friendly, and offered me a great package for next march which i am pretty sure im going to book!!

Cant wait!!!! Smile
snow conditions
Glad you've found something- Yes, they are very friendly and the nannies are really good with the children. You won't regret it. Book the kiddie club too, ours loved it. There's plenty of people on here who have gone back a few times, (and that was our experience when we went last year, I think ourselves and our friends were the only new ones) - that says alot I think.
snow conditions
alexsam97, just to throw a thought in Family Ski Company looked after us very well with our nippers. Skiing was just one of the activities on offer, so no pressure on the little uns to join the adult activity, but of course they all did and haven't looked back. ardent at morzine is a great place for kids (perhaps less so in this snow starved year) but wiorth a close look. There is (was?) areasonably priced Michelin starred restaurant neaby for the chalet staff night off too.
snow report
thanks for that link ountain Haddock, looking into that, but it does look a little more pricey than snowbizz, so will probably still go with them Smile

Thanks again everyone, as usual, your advice is great and sorted me out! Smile
snow report
quick advice...

Esprit - brilliant with kids but getting pricey. get a deal with them and its good value but there is a risk in booking late. The ski lessons are good with them as you get total exclusivity - ie only esprit kids in the class as they "charter" lessons with ESF. also for young ones they put a snow ranger (member of esprit staff) in the ski garden as well as the instructor - they help with toilets, crying, nose wiping, picking kids off the floor when they fall...they are a familiar face to the kids as they will have met them before the lessons whcih is a bonus
we went to Plan Piesey with them last year and the kids set up is superb. The creche room is massive and like a full daycare nursery set up and suits all ages - even have kids fun club in the evening for older kids. great location and good for all abilities and access to les arcs and la plagne for good skiers

FamilyFriendlySkiing.com in la tania....just got back and if you want a hassle free kids experience you cant beat this. the nanny comes to your chalet at 8.45 and takes the kids down to lessons or looks after them in the chalet if they are not in lessons. nothing was too much trouble. our nanny arrived early every day and helped dress the kids and look for their stuff - all above the call of duty but she was just so helpful. very very economical as well. small company and a very personal service all the way through. flexible with arrangements - you wont get that with a larger company. eg we had an extra night - they had some space in the chalet so we arrived a day early to get extra skiing and they charged only £100 for 4 of us including a full meal and threw in an extra day of childcare for free.
Kids were in normal ESF classes but the french / english mix was not a problem - kids adapt and they all giggle in teh same language !! infact it was good for us as 7 french and 3 english on one class so instructor gave tuition in french then repeat to a smaller group in english. Fabulous resort with ski in / ski out - got to within 5yrds of ski locker door every night.

skimagic in la tania - similar set up to familyfriendly. not used them with kids but used them before we had kids and again small company with personal service

def recommend taster sessions at a UK indoor snow slope - makes a big difference

recommend afternoon lessons if you can get them - less stress in the morning getting kids all togged up for lessons. if in childcare nannies will get them ready for you after lucnh

def go outside of school hols. we get permission every year to take kids out of school and always go early feb before the hols. sometimes theres only 3 or 4 kids in the ski school classes
ski holidays
thanks for that detailed info backhojo, i will look into those before i book later this week Smile
snow report
Snowbizz all booked!!! cant wait Smile

Thanks again for your suggestions everyone
ski holidays
The single most useful bit of kit I've bought for the kids are ski carrying straps. I don't know if I'm allowed to post this, but since I am in no way affiliated with the company I guess it'll be OK. http://www.skiweb.uk.com/catalog/ski-pole-carriers They fold up very small (pocket size) and allow you to carry lots of skis. The adult sizes are carried over shoulder (like a rifle) and the kids are hand held (like a bag). When we started our kids must have been 7 & 5 and, whilst part of me wanted to make them carry their own stuff, it would have taken ages to get anywhere (and we'd have probably taken an eye out in the process).

Other than that I concur with the advice above:
Try and get them on skis ahead of time. We took them to one of the realli-ski treadmill type places (but I think they might have closed).
Make sure they are warm.
Make them go to ski-school. My daughter hated it (and I mean really hated it) but she still loves skiing (now aged Cool and is a better skier for it (since they never listen to a word I say, even if I *could* express what it is I want them to do).
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Any help or advice as usual

My advice is take them out of school and go in low season.

+1 on that. At that age they can afford to miss a week of school anyway.
latest report
Going at Easter with my 9yo and 5yo girls, found that most places in France would charge them both for ski passes with the exception of Val Thorens and Les Arcs, where under 6 is free. If you go somewhere where the 5yo and 3yo get free passes it'll pay for the cost of ski lessons for them. HTH Smile
ski holidays
Right a summary: We did 8 consecutive years with Ski Esprit and now live in a cardboard box and use public transport as we have no money!!

Everyone of the holidays provided our 3 children with everything we could hope for in terms of pastoral care and ski teaching in line with everything the others have said. Do not make the mistake of booking into an "Appartment" with other families unless you know them very well. Ski Esprits "Chalet Hotels" are the best as they have plenty of extra space, seperate dining/reception areas. Choose one where the Nursary is on site as it avoids a pianful faff every morning.

Each child price will end up costing more than the adults by the time you add Lessons, Snow-Club, supervised lunches etc, but it worth it.

The idea of "enjoying" your skiing with 3 children at the age yours are is a mith!! Be honest with Mrs Alexsam...This is about you two getting a break. No cooking, child care, potty training or anything else between 08.30 and 6pm. So don't even think about self-catering or any varient there of. Finally accept that if it all works the younger ones won't like it much or learn anything (in 1 week a year) until they have started school.

Now that mine are 9,10 and 11 and we have lived in Italy for the last 3 years they ski like demons, go with school on their own during "White Week" and it was all worth it. Go for it.
ski holidays
alexsam97, Snowbizz will take care of all your needs - you'll have a fab time - I can't wait to go again (in 2 weeks!! Very Happy so excited!) You won't need any ski pole carriers, as the boot room is on the 1st floor of the apartment building and you walk out of it and put your skis on if you like and shuffle across to the hall. But if you do walk instead it's not worth the hassle of putting on any ski carriage thingies. Also I think you will get a break too. Last year we dropped our boys off at the hall at 10am, they had an hour's play before their lesson 11-1pm leaving us with 3 hours to ourselves. Most afternoons we managed to all go out together and one afternoon my youngest was too tired so had an afternoon off and he was ready to go again the next day.
The ski passes are free for kids under 6 - but you probably know all this anyway if you've had a chat with Wendy.
The kids loved it so much and it was a really good first time experience. I loved watching them and seeing them progress.
latest report
If not already mentioned as have only skimed
Do not DO NOT try to teach them how to ski
When I teach 4 to 6 year olds on the dry slope at the end of the course I have to teach the parents cos that is more important that when sking with kids that age they are not there to learn to ski so don't barage them with commands, do this do that.
In their eyes they are there to have fun....and only fun
The consequeces are that you can put them off for a coupleof years
Make sure that they are safe, warm, fed, watered, snow balling you, building snowmen and sledged
And for the max 2 to 3 hours a day have FUN skiing
And don't expect to ski yourselves much longer than the couple of 3 hours they are in ski school
If you don't expect to forgo a couple of years skiing
If you do it will pay dividends in a few short years when they out ski you#

I did all this wrong with my 6 year old and couldn't ski for 2 years till he was happy to try again
Now at 17 he can wipe the floor with me
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy