Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Final Bids, Friday at Midnight!

Poster: A snowHead
Fancy bidding for 5 days in Sundance? An avalanche course in the Alps? A stay in a luxury condo in Whistler? A pair of Liberty skis? Even a signed Arsenal Shirt from the 2004/05 squad? wink Plenty of other lots as well.

All for a good cause too, with the donations going to support Snowsport GB and our winter athletes. But there's only just over three more days left to bid, so don't hesitate, you might pick up a bargain...

RacerReady Article - Charity Auction in aid of Snowsport GB

Direct bid page
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No one tempted by this one then?
Quote:
LOT NUMBER: 36 LOT NAME: Mountain Tracks Avalanche Course
SHORT DESCRIPTION: A two day course ideal for off-piste skiers, who want to develop and improve their understanding of avalanche hazards and stay safe in the backcountry. The training is provided by fully-qualified IFMGA Mountain Guides and can be taken in the French or Swiss Alps. Valid until 2006.

GUIDE PRICE: £ 400

Well worth a £100 bid surely! Sounds as if it can be arranged pretty much anywhere, and at any time over the season, during your stay in France or Switzerland.

All for a good cause!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But the IFMGA Guide Price (poor attempt at joke) is £400. Isn't there a reserve price?

Are you bidding, sir, or were you just moving your mouse?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No reserve as far as I know. Probably just goes to the highest bidder. At the British Champs in Meribel, before the prizegiving, there was an ancient and beautiful pair of wooden skis up for auction, signed by virtually all the big World Cup stars of last season, including Bode Miller, Hermann Maier, etc. There were only two of us bidding in the end. Useless auctioneer though - he suddenly announced he would take one final bid from my opponent without giving me the chance to counter!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds a bit dodgy to me. Was he in a hurry to catch a train?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I did wonder if it was a pal in the crowd, doing the bidding. wink I was a bit peeved, for the beneficiaries too (Snowsport GB), but no one else seemed bothered so I said nowt.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG wrote:
......so I said nowt.

Were you feeling poorly? wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marc gledhill, Laughing I had a sore throat after the team and race meetings the night before... wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
why does the web site say?

START DATE: 1st March, 2005
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gregh, they auctioned off a load of stuff at Christie's that evening, raising £53K. Then various other new lots were introduced for the online auction, the one that concludes this Friday at midnight...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And it's not e-Bay. Bidding is completely 'blind' by email. Not too clever in this day and age. A bidding war often pushes prices up.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I agree with that. It's actually a quite bizarre auction. Note this clause in the terms and conditions:
Quote:
ASK reserves the right to close an Auction early, extend it, cancel it or delay it at any time at its sole discretion.

but
Quote:
Each placement of a bid will constitute a legal offer and shall be binding on you. As such, the bid may not be withdrawn after it is placed and may be accepted as the winning bid at any time.

Significantly the time of closure of the auction is, therefore, not binding and doesn't constitute part of the terms, unless I've missed that.
It's actually a type of sealed bid process, but with the auctioneer having exclusive private knowledge of bids placed. I guess the auctioneer can communicate privately back to any bidder to encourage a hike in their bid, but it all seems like more of a private tendering process.
As Ian implies, why not run the auction on an ebay-type basis with the closure timing assured and guaranteed?
I'm not suggesting at all that people shouldn't bid - far from it - but does this kind of arrangement work best?
On second thoughts, maybe it's all set up to encourage a lot of 'bidding up encouragement' from the organisers to anyone who's communicated a bid - i.e. the opposite of what PG experienced.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How much would you bid for this dartboard?

Seriously though, as you can see on the dartboard page, the current bid is listed. Trouble is I can't see how to check out the other items, except that if you replace the id number right at the end of the url you can see the other lots one by one, all with current bids noted.

eg the bid right now for the avalanche awareness course mentioned above stands at £100.00
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm guessing that the Mountain Tracks Avalanche Course will be at one of the three locations and dates shown on their website, current highest bid £100 Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The skis still look good value?
Quote:

LOT NUMBER: 42
LOT NAME: Liberty Skis
DESCRIPTION: 1 Pair of Liberty Skis of your choice. Choose from their All Mountain Skis, Pro Model Twins or Fat Twins. If this sounds foreign to you, do not worry they all ski fantasticly well.
Donated by Liberty Skis.

HIGHEST BID: £ 100
ski holidays
Am intruigued by the 2-bed condo in whistler. It reads like you get the whole thing, but with a guide price of a grand, surely that can't be quite correct....
ski holidays
austin7, I was wondering about that as well. I suspect a badly worded description! Plenty of small print on the site to protect the organisers....
snow conditions
I imagine more details would be available from the organisers via email, if anyone's seriously interested in bidding. Wonder if there'll be a last minute rush just before midnght on Friday, and how they will sort out the highest bidder... time of sending? time of receipt?
snow conditions
I see the skis have just gone up to £125... an anonymous snowHead, perhaps?!
snow report
I see that the Leyton Orient shirt is the same price as the Arsenal one !
latest report
Does anyone know anything about the Liberty freestyle skis, by the way??
snow report
I thought they did boards as well but I'm mistaken looking at their site.
ski holidays
The bidding's hotting up - Liberty freestyle skis now at £280

Still the Skier's Edge machine is only at £350 (estimated value £1500) - (if it's one of the top of the range models that's a real bargain)
snow conditions
How do you get to see what the current bid is for an item?
snow report
This page - then View this lot should work. The first link I gave doesn't work that way, bizarre.
ski holidays
Even gives you the bidder's name now, which I thought was a bit odd. Some people might prefer to remain anonymous.
ski holidays
PG, thanks. Well, it is useful to see the bidder's name, just in case you bid for something, but can't remember how much, and you want to see if you're still in the running. (even if they do spell your name wrong, ahem)
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just over three hours to go.... and this one looks well worth a bid...

Quote:
LOT NUMBER: 27
LOT NAME: Skiers Edge Ski Fitness Machine
DESCRIPTION:
Donated by Graham Bell.

GUIDE PRICE: £ 1500
HIGHEST BID: £ 350

and the avalanche course still seems good value...

Quote:

LOT NUMBER: 36
LOT NAME: Mountain Tracks Avalanche Course
DESCRIPTION: A two day course ideal for off-piste skiers, who want to develop and improve their understanding of avalanche hazards and stay safe in the backcountry. The training is provided by fully-qualified IFMGA Mountain Guides and can be taken in the French or Swiss Alps. Valid until 2006.
Donated by Mountain Tracks.

HIGHEST BID: £ 200 by
snow conditions
Oops, looks like anyone thinking they could bid up to midnight lost out if they tried after 5pm. Because of the bombings, the auction was closed early, on Friday afternoon.
ski holidays
Auction has been extended until Monday 11th 5pm
ski holidays
srobbo, ah - misread the date rolling eyes
latest report
... The gavel hovers

(couldn't get a photo of a hovering gavel)
snow conditions
And I've been outbid!
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, what a cheek. And I've made two bids since last night, neither of them have been registered!
latest report
I can't see the bids or the closing date or anything other than the descriptions on that events4 page - I am using Mozilla but have tried IE6 and get same result. Am I not clicking down enough levels? Or has it actually closed now?
snow conditions
The bids are still there, reachable from this page, click on "View this lot".

The same page states, a few paras from the top:
Quote:
The ONLINE auction now ends on July 11th at 5pm due to the awful events in London. Please make sure you submit your bids as soon as possible. We are not eBay so we need time to add the new bids. Your support is much needed in this Olympic year.
snow conditions
I think I just bought a Skiers Edge machine....and a whole heap of ear-bashing from Mrs W...!
You have 3 minutes to out-bid me and save me!!
latest report
rungsp, All round to your house for a training session then snowHead
snow conditions
PG, Fancy a new pair of skis -Liberty perhaps Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy