Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Roof Box or Ski Rack?

Poster: A snowHead
OK, what do I do? usually get everything in the car, but the next trip is four people in the car and five or six pairs of skis.

So is it a Roof box or a Ski Rack?

I am thinking that maybe the mpg will be better with a Roof Box rather than Ski rack and that the extra cost of a roof box will make its self back in the round trip of 1450 miles. We have a petrol V70 Volvo so usually avergae 35 mpg down to the Alps.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
livetoski, roof box is also more useful on other occasions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
livetoski, Box, I think skis on racks suffer from salt wash road dirt etc, If you put them in a bag then the windnoise is really bad.
Bode Swiller did some research recently with and without a box on his american 4x4 and if I remember correctly the fuel difference was small.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boredsurfing, I have seen it said that modern roof box's hardly impact on mpg, but I am not totally trusting when its Halfords saying this wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd go roofbox, keeps them more secure and free of cack/grit/washer fluid etc!!

I've used this company a few times and have very good service from them?

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/roof-boxes/

esp if you check their bargain section....

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bargains-sale-clearance/

Cheers,

greg
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rent a roofbox, for a one-off it works out cheaper than buying a ski rack.

If you expect to need the roofbox several times again, then easy, buy it.

I would not subject my bindings to 1500 miles worth of road salt, grit etc...

Another shout for roofbox.co.uk - good service, good prices, good box.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for all the above, but get the biggest roofbox you can afford and do not buy just to put ski's in. A god size roofbox will swallow loads of kit and keep all of the awkward boot bags, helmets and rucksacks out of the car.

I have made a trip in my Audi with and without the roofbox and probably saved only two or three mpg without it and I've go a 20 year old "square" one, newer ones that are more aerodynamic are probably much better.

Good for storing ski's too if you drive daily to resort, and keep them out of sight of thieving pixies when you go to the supermarket etc.

Beware French fuel prices on the Autoroute, over E1.50 for petrol when we went at the end of Jan and I bet they put the prices up for the holiday period as I saw that last year, yes really. Try http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/ for prices.

Have a good'un
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have had my roofbox on and off my Discovery often enough to know for certain that I get better MPG with it on, at least by the car computer. So I would say definitely go roofbox. but watch out for multi story car parks Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DaveMcSki wrote:
... but watch out for multi story car parks Toofy Grin

Very lucky with mine, 1.95m, so fits under the peage height limits, but still very spooky. On a V70 would expect box would still be under 2m.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Basil,
Quote:

1.95m, so fits under the peage height limits, but still very spooky

Had not thought of that, the V70 is and older one so lower than the new ones, it should be OK what is the limit on the peage, I have nver really taken much notice even when we had a Shogun for the trips down.

On the fuel prices we tend to hit the supermarkets rather than the autoroute refills

Basil,
Quote:

A god size roofbox

WOW that must be big wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Beware French fuel prices on the Autoroute, over E1.50 for petrol when we went at the end of Jan and I bet they put the prices up for the holiday period as I saw that last year, yes really. Try http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/ for prices.

Tesco 5p off a litre voucher wink
Junction 10 M20 last Tesco's before the Tunnel Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livetoski, Aha!, nice one LoL. Yeah supermarkets are mostly cheaper, you obviously know the score, but that website is pretty good at identifying them. No height limit as such on autoroute, but 2m restriction just for quicker traffic I suppose.

Boredsurfing, But you'll not get there with just a fill-up at Tesco's, nor back either.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
2m restriction is only on the car telepeage 'reserve' lanes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We paid 1.37 for petrol at the new Leclerc at J23 on the new A4 Reims bypass in Jan.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
allanm, I use these with my Doofer, but think some can take a CC.
snow report
Basil wrote:
allanm, I use these with my Doofer, but think some can take a CC.

Yes you're absolutely right, but there are plenty unrestricted lanes for all types of payment. It's only with a doofer that you must be under 2M to use the reserve lanes, which is a big advantage IMHO.
snow report
genepi, that sounds pretty good, I have always done the first fill in Dijon, but if Reims is a good price may well be a two stop on the way down Very Happy
ski holidays
livetoski, Yup Very Happy We filled there & Geant, Albertville
ski holidays
livetoski, Beware, your Satnav may not recognise the new Reims bypass and the associated junctions. There is Carrefour off A4/A26 junction (22) at Tinqueux, it's on Google maps and may be good for return journey.
snow report
livetoski, Have used a Thule roof box years on many trips to France (in summer). Drive an XC90 and even with 5 bikes and driving around 80-90 mph our mpg goes from around 31 to 28. Without the bikes and sticking to speed limit the figure would be better obviously.
snow report
Also, don't forget you may need to declare the extra height for ferry/tunnel
latest report
Basil wrote:

Thanks for the link, but I couldn't get it to work. Any tips to get it to talk to me?
ski holidays
boabski wrote:
Drive an XC90 and even with 5 bikes and driving around 80-90 mph our mpg goes from around 31 to 28.

Shocked Shocked I dream of getting that sort of mpg without anything on the roof, sticking to speed limits and using cruise control as much as possible to smooth out the throttle control Crying or Very sad (currently average for the last year is 19!!) But ho hum that's what you get when you drive a 400+bhp V8!! Very Happy Very Happy

As Barclaycard says..... "the price of fuel £95 per tank....................the pleasure of being able to pull away from almost any car on the road at will; priceless!!" Laughing Laughing
snow report
Chamcham, Link works for me, try cutting and pasting into address bar.
latest report
marcellus, What you rolling in like?
snow report
marcellus, Sounds like you have the same car as me! 10000 mile average 18.9 mpg although recently have been getting 21 mpg on a run snowHead
ski holidays
MattMattMatt wrote:
marcellus, What you rolling in like?

A 2002 Audi RS6 4.2ltr V8, it's an absolute beast of a car, bought for £5k so for me it's a balance between purchase price and fuel/running costs!!
ski holidays
Ahhh the Audi 4.2 engine is a beast. German cars are the only things I'd buy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ahh so not the same, but a competitor.....2005 E55k AMG Estate 5.5ltr supercharged V8 Twisted Evil
latest report
Oh and to keep to the thread, Roofbox every time, much more useful and keeps every thing dirt free. I bought one in a Halfords sale, the largest they had as it also happened to be the cheapest due to the sale price. I suppose because not every car could take the size.
It is very useful for when taking grandmothers on holiday Laughing
ski holidays
Chattonmill, With or without roofbox?.
latest report
What the Grandmother...never if I got my way, but SWMBO insists sometimes rolling eyes It has been mentioned that if she comes with us again then she will have to be in the roofbox snowHead
snow conditions
Chattonmill, Ha! ha!. Sorry, I was being facetious...and envious.
snow report
Cheers guys, think it has to be a box then, looking around the best buy I can find is:

Mont Blanc VISTA 540 540ltr Roof Box 200x95x42cm for about £170 I worked out that even with the box I will only be approx. 190cm high Smile

Anyone got a Mont Blanc box?
snow report
livetoski wrote:
Mont Blanc VISTA 540 540ltr Roof Box 200x95x42cm for about £170 I worked out that even with the box I will only be approx. 190cm high Smile

Plus the bars.. ? if so then maybe nearer 2M.
latest report
Ski rack.

Roof box is just flash shite for people that like to spend money on flash shite.

Never ever had an issue with my gear which lives on a ski rack 24/7 for over 100 days a year.
snow conditions
Aye hang11, I rock thule aero bars and a deluxe ski carrier mounted to the fixpoints on the beembeem, nae problems like.
snow conditions
livetoski, roofboxes can be vulnerable to thieves, so on overnight stops best to take everything out and leave it unlocked, or park in secure parking.
hang11, rusty edges and seized bindings are pretty shite Puzzled
snow report
Get better bindings. Never had an issue myself.

Dunno what gets edges that significantly corroded that it makes a difference?
snow report
hang11, Might think of getting a ski rack instead then. How is it for fitting golf clubs, caddy cars and luggage etc wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy