Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reccomend a resort

Poster: A snowHead
Come on everyone just got back from a week in the grand massif. had a great week but was not my ideal destination. I must say austria is my favourite place have been so far(skiied five weeks, Chatel, Zell am see, Alpbach Nendaz and samoens) Looking to go next year. (early i know but need something to look forward too) Want to go as an all adults group but some of the group may want to bring lhe little ones. We would need reasonable apres But also childcare facilities and good varied slopes. Quite a mixed ski group from some only having skiied one week to some of us who like some blacks and like experimenting off piste(need a lesson and probably a guide) Would like somewhere reasonable and also would be nice to be scenic. Hopefully next season will hold a little more reliable snow but also the more snowsure the better.
At the moment revisiting zell is the favoured option and saalbach looks good but would love some suggestions
Thanks Matt
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mattiwilkin, maybe if you explained what it was about the grand massif which wasn't right for you (apart from the snow....) it would be easier for folk to make suggestions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mattiwilkin, Take a look at the Sk amadé region in Salzburgerland. Easy transfers from Salzburg airport, even easier if you drive out, and a huge variety of accommodation at all prices. Even has some ski out/ski in accommodation (not possible according to some in Austria wink )
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry for not explaining. Just found it to be a little difficult to navigate for the beginners and a little vast. The views were stunning but not particuarly stunning, The skiing was good and the snow fantastic considering you could see as much grass as snow! No major issues just would not be my first choice
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Serfaus is constantly rated as one of Austria's best family resorts. Quite expensive to stay there though (from my research)

I've taken my lot to Kappl the last 2 years. Liked it for the following reasons - an hour from Innsbruck, good value, some surprisingly good apres given its size, slopeside accomodation, Ischgl just up the road, skiing excellent and slopes deserted. They have a huge kindergarten area mid station, which I've not used as my kids are older. Although the skiing looks limited on piste map, it's great for a mixed ability group as you can take a blue red or black run down from the two main chairs. Great for splitting up and meeting later without having to travel far
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Saalbach's ace, although the offpiste isn't the best around (at your level that shouldn't be an issue though). Take a look at Ischgl and Kitzbuehel.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

not possible according to some in Austria

not possible according to whom?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mattiwilkin,
Quote:

The views were stunning but not particuarly stunning

Puzzled
Well were they or weren't they?

The view of Mont Blanc from the Grande Platieres (Flaine) IS stunning. I never tire of that view.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mattiwilkin, what about Schladming? http://www.planai.at/winter/en/Home.html ticks all your boxes!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not Austria, but I dont think I could ever tire of skiing Saas Fee in Switzerland...

Decent apres, loads of runs to ski, probably quite a bit of off piste too and its on a glacier so snow is guaranteed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
it is stunning looking across at mont blanc and a couple of other views also but its not great in every direction and not pretty. ski amade does look good. whats the largest linked area?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mattiwilkin, there is no need to explain what you didn't like about Flaine et al - those who DO like it should be the ones explaining themselves.

Pam - when/if you go the Alpbach like the OP has - then you will understand...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
red 27, I've been to Alpbach, thanks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok, this is my 3rd time recommending this resort here so people will begin to think I work for the local tourist board but here goes anyway.our group has skied about 15 different resorts in 12 years never going back to the same resort, except this year we returned to lanersbach and all agreed it was our best trip yet. the village is about 4 miles from hintertux glacier which has sking 11 months of the year. its a nice compact village with a few bars and i think 2 discos and some very nice restaurants one of which does an all you can eat buffet for 12-15 euro. price of a pint is 3-3.5eu.
we stay in apartments with 6 day passi ncl for less than 400eu. even though I tried very hard i couldnt spend more than 300 eu for the whole week and we went out every night! we did the whole trip everthing incl accom, lift pass, transfer from munich, flights, ski hire (exellent quality skis and boots for 70eu when you book via skiset ) insurance, 700 euro total.
i cant understand why prices are so low here as it has everything, incl garanteed snow, fantastic food and drink, great links into the mayrhofen ski area, its own mountain is really nice also,very friendly locals etc etc. volderlanersbach is just 2 min away but does not have the same ski resort atmosphere. mayrhofen is about 15 min away if you want a bit more night life but cant comment as we never went as there was enough in lanersbach for us as we are all on the wrong side of 35yrs old. www.gudrun.at were the apartments we stayed in just next to the lifts and ski back to door in the evening and would highly recommend.
LANERSBACH MAGIC
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boabski wrote:

I've taken my lot to Kappl the last 2 years. Liked it for the following reasons - an hour from Innsbruck, good value, some surprisingly good apres given

Kappl is surprisingly interesting for such a small resort. Really enjoyed the two mornings we had there, a good variety of runs and scenery.
We've stayed in Galtur the last few years (guaranteed seat on the bus to ischgl and beyond...)
ski holidays
anymore ideas? whaats the lanersbach links like? do like tree lined too but not essential
snow report
mattiwilkin, base yourself in Wagrain, Flachau, Zauchensee or St Johann-Alpendorf and you can easily ski all of these soon without taking your skis off (New lift linking Graffenberg and The Flying Mozart mid-station going in this summer). Of the 4 I would plumb for Wagrain as it is pretty central.

Altenatively base yourself in Altenmarkt/Radstadt and hire a car and the world is your oyster so to speak! Toofy Grin
latest report
mattiwilkin, re lanersbach- you get the gondola from the village centre to the eggalm mountain where you ski down to volderslanersbach and get a gondola all the way to the mayrhofen area. on return there is a unofficial slope to the bottom of the eggalm mountain where you get a chair to the top and ski all the ways in to lanersbach centre.
snow report
Nobody with anymore ideas out there? lanersbach looks good from what can find just not a graeat deal of info on the net.
ski holidays
ask away ill give you any info you need. main + for lanersbach is the snow sure glacier 10 min away. its not a booming nightlife town but for a few pints on a evening its just right for our group (30 - 50 yrr olds) not sure what you need. local slopes a bit limited but very well connected to mayrhofen.also free bus /train available to zillertal area.
latest report
Any more ideas, Hopefully a better season for snow next time
snow report
I personally love Westendorf, had six or seven holidays there, ever bored. Lots of mellow offpiste to explore, some pretty serious stuff if you're up for it too. Apres is great banter but limited to a couple of bars. Very pretty village too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy