Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

And that's why Boris should keep his trap shut!

Poster: A snowHead
you've evidently been here before a few times, but welcome anywayDavid Jarvis. snowHead there are certainly a number of reports here from people who are very happy with their Crystal holidays. they probably don't leap out at you in the same way!

Quote:

we can do it cheaper

not always. And you go to a relatively small number of resorts - if someone wants something a bit less usual then DIY is sometimes more appropriate. I also always found the pricing for apartment holidays a bit opaque - if you rent an apartment privately then the rent is the rent, regardless of whether there are unused beds. I entirely understand WHY the package prices work the way they do, but it remains a bit of a faff to try to work out and compare prices.

I think some people (me included) actually quite enjoy planning trips. I also don't mind grappling with blizzards and chains etc (though as I noted above, that wasn't always the case).

We quite often do advise newcomers that it's easiest to do a TO package when they start - and there are many fans of packages more generally. Though often on the basis of those last minute bargains which, every season, we are told are going to become much harder to find. wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
[quote="David Jarvis"]Hi all

What I don't particularly understand is why people would want to spend their own time AND money DIY-ing when we can do it cheaper and quicker for them and they have the security of us being there if the worst comes to the worst. NehNeh "

I'm afraid it is because your holidays aren't that cheap for a family of two adults and two children travelling by rail or car.

Most Crystal holidays are flight based which is fine for those looking for a catered skiing holiday by air. For those who aren't there are other operators who offer more flexibilty in terms of travel and accommodation and lower prices for rail/self drive.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We always go cc just 2 of us in with crowd of strangers always great crack still in touch with loads of these friends who are no longer strangers
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boris, page 2 already, what have you done? Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Jarvis We used to use Crystal,and also other TO's and went on many holidays with them, a mix of hotels, SC, and chalets. Why did we stop? Too many small things didn't work out- we got the wrong lift passes (and had to chase the rep all over Belle Plagne to sort it out), we were in the beginners ski school classes and we'd already skied for 5 years, and the rep in one resort (Serre Chevalier) was wandering around with a broken leg, so we still had to go and get our own passes and find the ski shop. It eventually ended up that the only thing I could trust the TO to sort for me were the plane, accommodation and transfer. Then, on our final TO trip, the accommodation did not have the beds we required (2 6ft kids shared a 4ft bed !!),all we were offered was extra bedding, and a suggestion we purchased an airbed. The lift passes they were offering cost us a packet more than we could organise ourselves (there was no 'youth' option available for our teens, which could be purchased in resort). I upgraded the coach transfer into car hire, and we arrived long before the coach. We'd showered and were going out for dinner before the rep arrived to welcome us.
A problem with the return flights clinched it, and there was no rep at the airport to sort it for us. I had to sort it myself.
When I realised how much of our 'package' I was now organising it no longer made sense to book a package deal.
As I live in NE England, I am restricted in our choice of resorts by the limited flights available. So we drive to Serre Chevalier. And I do have to thank Crystal for the marvellous deal they were offering to Serre Chevalier in Easter 2001 , even though we had to fly from Gatwick.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boris wrote:
Quote:

It's so easy nowadays via the internet to do minor research, book all areas flights/ tunnel/ car hire/ trains/ transfers/ accom/ meals independently and just go for it.

And that's one of the best summaries of why people choose DIY!

I've been going DIY long before the internet age. I don't find the internet make it any easier. It offers more options that were not availlable before the web. It even sometimes have fantastic deals which may not have been offered before the internet. But one thing I don't find the internet offer is making it much easier! Wink

An example, for the Birthday bash, we were given a link to book our transfer. Easy, right? Not for me. Base in N.A., my credit card company decided the transfer's company's website wasn't secure enough to authorize my payment! Shocked After a few hours on the phone with the CC technical staff, I gave up and phone the transfer company and ask them to bill to my hotel! The same thing I would have done before the internet were available.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc,the internet makes them so much easier to find, and it is so much quicker to organise everything.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The internet makes it far easier to find out about resorts outside those favoured by the TOs. Piste maps available at the flick of a mouse and often, as I discovered several times in the past on SHs, very accurate and helpful local information available from people who know the resorts.

When we bought an apartment in a French resort where there are no traditional TOs we scarcely overheard anyone talking English for the first couple of winters. Now it is a lot more frequent, even though Anglophone visitors remain a very small minority. I suspect the internet is responsible for practically the whole of that growth (I am responsible for a very small bit of it myself wink ) One of our friends, who has an apartment like ours - 2 bedrooms - organised one holiday where there were no fewer than 80 people from the Shrewsbury area, all there at one time (though not all staying in her apartment wink ) This is all very good for the resort as we Brits tend to holiday when the French don't (if we've got any sense!).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

What I don't particularly understand is why people would want to spend their own time AND money DIY-ing when we can do it cheaper and quicker for them and they have the security of us being there if the worst comes to the worst. NehNeh

David Jarvis, well I wouldn't expect you to say anything else wink Oh and kudos for coming on here to have your say snowHead

Of course you and the others provide a valuable service (one I have used myself in the past) and for anyone who was thinking of going skiing for the first time I would recommend a TO. But for myself - cheaper, maybe would need to benchmark, faster, a couple of emails and 2 mins on a booking site, I doubt it Laughing

Security is an interesting one - granted I was looked after well by a TO when a flight was cancelled and I can see the benefits there. But, I drive now, and I can't see any situation which I can't sort out myself.

So let me turn that question around - what can you offer me which I couldn't do myself? Family of 5, self-drive, Eurotunnel free with Tesco vouchers, will travel Friday and Sunday to have an extra couple of nights, self-catering, have own kit.

Lou, I know I'm ashamed of myself Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boris, our only major travelling problem in the last 6 years was due to booking a flight and a volacno erupting. The uncertainty made us book a ferry.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Jarvis, we usually go skiing 4 times a year and probably 2 of those will be with TOs. In general I am happy with the service. Chalets can be hit or miss but I have found that for hotels, TOs are cheaper than DIY. TUI must get good rates as with flight, transfer and accommodation it is always cheaper to go with TOs. (I don't go school holidays so don't know if it is true then.)
Quote:
they have the security of us being there if the worst comes to the worst

This seems to have become more relevant recently, with the ash cloud and closed airports. Also, having a hire car break down in the cold and dark in the middle of nowhere is no joke!

However, it does seem that, in the present economic climate, TOs seem to be cutting costs. Many people have commented that the standard is going down in TO chalets/chalet hotels. And, if it's your only ski holiday, and you've been saving up and looking forward to it all year, and you don't get what is promised ..... you are entitled to let everyone know just how that TO didn't fulfill their side of the contract. It's not like buying anything else. It's hopes and dreams that have been destroyed!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Horses for courses..

I always stay in hotels when I'm skiing. I've done a few chalet holidays before (both catered and S/C) and frankly I was bored when I wasn't skiing! I like meeting new people and the company of other guests in hotels.

Didn't like the self-catering part either, I don't want to do washing up and cooking when I'm on holiday!

I do Mark Warner holidays every year and I love them, I've also used lots of other TO's including Crystal and Neilson and haven't really had a bad experience yet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="NickyJYes some of the staff were young, the cleaning was good, in fact they always set out teddies and kids toys in nice ways. [/quote]

Just had to post these - these were Esprit's staff's creative skills a couple of days running on returning from the slopes; made my daughter very happy each night

That to me is added value ..

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PS They're not my pajamas

Or cuddly dog

Or fluffy ear muffs
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sev112, Great pics Very Happy
ski holidays
sev112, that's really very sweet - can see why you were impressed.
snow report
sev112, aw. Very Happy
ski holidays
We haven't been with a TO in Europe for a decade (apart from the odd chalet weekend) but this is largely down to their not offering what we want, when we want or our being able to do it cheaper, rather than any bad experiences we've had. Actually our experience with the large TOs was pretty good in general - no major mishaps and while it could be said that we've been lucky, I'd guess our experience is actually that of most of their customers. I really don't believe that most people these days are so feckless as to not vote with their feet and DIY if they weren't getting reasonable value in terms of the service they want, the ease of getting it and the price they pay. And as far as customer profiles go, I am decidedly pedantic, like to be in control and am quite discerning but I am also capable of being realistic and sanguine about what I can reasonably expect when others do the organising, and can say that I've always really enjoyed chalet holidays.
snow report
David Jarvis wrote:
Hi all

To add my two-penneth worth from a tour operator's point of view...

Snowheads in general does have a slightly rarified and critical atmosphere overall and while I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily, in some threads I do think Crystal and other tour operators get a bad rap.

For example if you look at our Facebook page (http://facebook.com/crystalski) you'll see (generally!) lots of glowing holiday reports from our customers, whereas here we do tend to see more negatives. It's just the nature of the beast I suppose. You can't stop people from being critical but it's certainly more productive to take up your issue with your holiday company rather than having an anonymous rant online about it!

What I don't particularly understand is why people would want to spend their own time AND money DIY-ing when we can do it cheaper and quicker for them and they have the security of us being there if the worst comes to the worst. NehNeh

Had to get a plug in there somewhere!

Cheers
David

I think everyone knows that for every serious complaint on here, there's 100 others who didn't feel the need to complain at all, and probably many who loved their trip. Everyone's expectations are different. There are a number of trip reports which are glowing in their praise of good companies working hard to do a good job, at least 2 or 3 of mine have been, unfortunately 1 or 2 of mine have been fairly critical of companies that I consider have let me down, badly, then treated me like the proverbial on their shoe when back in the UK.

I fairly strongly agree with your last comment, where it applies. If DIY was the same price and same itinerary/accommodation as TO, I'd go TO every single time. I think many TOs have worked out that flexibility is key - offering accommodation only options, the standard of food in my opinion is better than almost all of our group are capable of producing, even in the worst chalets we've experienced (which were still good)

The big saver for me is the TO ability to get flights and transfers sorted at a price that I can't get online. Later in the season the balance shifts a bit, but for the first week of the season in a high altitude resort, something we've done for a couple of years running, we get the whole package for approx £400. This year significantly less than that due to the large size of the group. The flights would cost me minimum £100, self driving works out at that for 4 people in the car anyhow, transfers £50 each, if not more, that leaves me £200 for 6 nights accommodation and 5 days food. That's not realistic if I try and do it separately, somewhere along the line the budget is blown, or we end up eating on the cheap, instead of good standard 3 course dinners.

The security aspect is an added bonus. Having been caught out this year by booking our own flights and then having problems with a transfer bus leaving too late, it became very clear to me on the way home that if the flight had left on time I'd have been paying for another flight, if I could get one, or sleeping in Grenoble airport. With a TO that is their problem or the airline's problem, not mine.
snow report
Pragmatism is key. My first choice is always DIY, but three of my last nine trips have been with TOs because the price has been right and convenience has won. Yes, the privacy and independence of DIY are fantastic. But sometimes its great to be waited on and to let someone else make the beds and wash the towels. I'm happy either way so long as the skiing is good.

You can always get unlucky on holiday. Put it down to experience; do your best to enjoy the good bits; and never give the bad guys any cash next time. I hardly ever bother to complain about anything: my time is to precious to waste telling some incompetent company how to treat their customers better.
latest report
[quote="snowymum"]
Boris wrote:
Quote:

I was having a bit of joke when I started this and didn't want to start the same arguments again. But like Boredsurfing, I hope SH doesn't turn into a place for slagging TOs. Or at least only with some form of right to reply!
Still I suppose without the same arguments SH would be a bit quiet
Laughing

Why can't TOs be criticised?
It works both ways. If you have a good experience with a TO I'm sure they are pleased to have a positive mention in a trip report. Therefore they cannot expect people to keep their bad experiences to themselves.

David Jarvis wrote:
Hi all
To add my two-penneth worth from a tour operator's point of view...

Snowheads in general does have a slightly rarified and critical atmosphere overall and while I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily, in some threads I do think Crystal and other tour operators get a bad rap.

For example if you look at our Facebook page (http://facebook.com/crystalski) you'll see (generally!) lots of glowing holiday reports from our customers, whereas here we do tend to see more negatives. It's just the nature of the beast I suppose. You can't stop people from being critical but it's certainly more productive to take up your issue with your holiday company rather than having an anonymous rant online about it!
Cheers
David

Seems that snowHeads may already be building a rep for playing host to just the whingers. Sad
ski holidays
I don't think Snow Heads just plays host to the whingers at all. There have been loads of threads about skiing with children and lots of people have praised tour operators such as snow bizz and esprit. We had a wonderful holiday with snow bizz and I have always recommended them to people going with children the first time.

I have also been very pleased with recent holidays with Ski collection/Peak Retreats and have recommended some of their resorts/appartments on snow heads threads.

I prefer to book with a smaller company as I think you get more flexibility over travel and appartment size and much better customer service. Having studied french at university I like to visit resorts slightly off the mass market beaten track.
ski holidays
Just to carry on stirring - I went with Crystal to the US in 97,98,99 they were great trips
I went with Ski Beat in 2002,03 and 04 - they were also good trips.

I am sure I will go with a TO again in the future - I can see the reasons for them and understand they suit many many people and that the majority of trips are fab.

But doesn't give me the flexibility I want in my own particular set of circumstances

I only started this as a bit of a joke/trolling session

THE END
ski holidays
Hi there. As one of my reports was selected to start this thread I thought I'd post. I have done a couple of DIY holidays and loved them but they turned into a very expensive way to travel for us. Also I have had great holidays with TO's. I have used Crystal this year too and had a fantastic New year holiday in Niederau. Also in my report I wasn't really slagging off the TO just saying I was disappointed in a few things from the year before. In my review I made it clear that It was a fantastic holiday the year before and that this year we still had a great time. The good outweighed the bad by far. I just wanted to put a review in the review section of my holiday. I would still use TO's in the future.
snow report
Quote:

Yes, the privacy and independence of DIY are fantastic. But sometimes its great to be waited on and to let someone else make the beds and wash the towels.

as snowymum said earlier in this thread, this is a false dichotomy. You can go DIY, rather than package, and still stay in a hotel, or an independent chalet.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy