Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A gadget question...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am thinking about buying one of those gadgets that tells you how far and fast you've skied etc for my boyfriend for his birthday. We are hopefully going away together soon so I'll get to play with it too! Very Happy Very Happy

I am completely untechie though and haven't a clue what to get so does anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking around the £100 mark so if that is wildly unrealistic I may have to think again.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks
F
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This http://www.amazon.co.uk/Navman-Sport-Tool-Display-runners-walkers/dp/B004KOZESU/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1297767183&sr=1-2&tag=amz07b-21 will do the job for a lot less than £100 Very Happy

Edited to make the link work

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 15-02-11 11:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks - I could get one for myself as well at that price as I'll obviously be skiing much faster! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fs,
The above device doesn't seem to offer the possibility to export the results to a map, which is part of the fun.
has your boyfriend got a smartphone. If yes, which?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kruisler, the device does do what fs asked for (how far and fast). It will also give you vertical feet/metres, average speed, fastest speed and you can exclude the lifts (tell it not to count if you are going uphill).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If no smartphone, you're looking at something like this:
http://www.ski-jungle.com/gps-tracker.htm

or a GPS watch.

have a look at this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=70354
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fs wrote:
We are hopefully going away together soon so I'll get to play with it too! Very Happy Very Happy

Behave!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Freddie Paellahead,
it does indeed do what the spec asks for. Very Happy
And it's cheap..
As a gadget fan myself, I just pointed out that part of the fun was being able to see where you've been superimposed on a map...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If just wanting GPS, with the ability of uploading to a computer, mapping, tracking etc.... then I'd go for one of these - http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/277/garmin-forerunner-205
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This one http://www.maplin.co.uk/gps-travel-tracker-227620 is on sale at Maplin for £29.99 (was £45.99) until 22 Feb.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fs, whatever you choose, be sure to report back with your fastest speed clocked.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all - I'll take a look at all these options. I quite like the idea of being able to map where we've been too, wasn't really sure what was an option.

Dr John - I fear my fastest speed may look a bit pathetic to the rest of you but I'll let you know. I've no idea what an average speed would be. While I was away last week some of the guys in the chalet were saying they'd hit the 100km mark on their GPS.
Thanks
F
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've found that my average speed is pretty consistent regardless of any top speed. Always seems to be around 10kph, there are odd days when it's faster which I think are more down to visibility and conditions to actual travelling speed (i.e. less stops taken). I think a lot of this is down to the steadying influence of lift use/speed.

I like to travel further for longer covering a wide range of slopes than ski the same predictable slope trying to hit a top speed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can recomend the HOLUX GPS 245 data logger for skiing, biking, walking, flying...
http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/products/products_content.jsp?pno=349

I got mine from Maplins for about £50. It shows speeds distance, altitude, etc, and you can download your trip to chuffnuts, everytrail or google maps...

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WayneC, I too have a Holux and it is excellent. I don't think Maplins are selling it any more though, and it looks as though the one recommended by Adrian, has replaced it.

I find I even use it for racking things like local walks. I means that I can have a look on the satellite picture and get a context for where I have been. I believe the smartphone apps are unreliable and tend to drain the batteries of said phones.

snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy