Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids Piste or All Mountain Skis - help us in creating a short list

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Two children (minimum_1 and minimum_2), will be 9 yrs and 12 yrs for next season. Currently skiing K2 Juvy (119 and 129). Although the skis are great and in excellent condition (3 week use), they have just been outgrown! (I think we should stop feeding the kids! Madeye-Smiley)
The reason we're not going for Juvy's again is that their instructor suggested that they need something more akin to a piste ski. Their standard of skiing means that if they have ski school it would mean repeating (fine tuning) Diamond standard or having next class up, which is kids race training. So, piste or all mountain are being considered. Does anyone have any recommendations?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No suggestion as both of mine are interested in the juvy's. Hence my question of if you are looking to sell the skis you already have?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markoncarp wrote:
No suggestion as both of mine are interested in the juvy's. Hence my question of if you are looking to sell the skis you already have?
We have one more week this year, the SFaB in April. Megamum will be dealing with the sale of the skis after that.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I got my daughter women's skis when she was 12 (144's). They were Elan MySpice, 113,70,133, supposedly All Mountain and worked well for her for a couple of years and she is now on 155 twin tips. Not so easy for boys as men's skis don't normally start so short.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My daughter started riding Line Celebrity 143's when she was around 12/13.
82(?) underfoot gave her plenty of all-mountain float and she had no problems even in West Coast powder. I couldn't see any compromise in her on-piste performance - she still made me look like a camel on skis Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My son (11) has been using Salomon Fish (141 I think) for the last couple of years and loves them. He has also passed Diamond a couple of times and last year did race training. This year we've only had a week so far which was earlier in Jan when there was no powder to speak of so most of his skiing was on hard piste and moguls - again no complaint. No doubt they will be handed down to his sister in a couple of years. To be honest I think unless the kids are actually seriously competing a ski like the Fish is ideal. Hope that helps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BMF_skier, My 11 year old daughter races on plastic in the uk @ 140 tall she's a "tiddler" , we took her salomon fish and salomon 3vs away at Christmas.
Both sets had been tuned and prep'd the same way, we put her on her fish's the first day as we didn't know the slope conditions and didn't want to trash her race skis if conditions were sparce, we were staying mainly on piste the first day & she was noticeably slower in the gliding sections, we thought it was just because of her being lighter.
The next day we put her on her 2010/11 3vs and it was a completely different story, obviously they were fantastic on the hard stuff, but the biggest surprise was how well they coped off in the soft stuff, she does ski them longer @ 137 for a slalom ski but has quite a bit of mileage under her belt, even so I was amazed what she was going through with these, we were very lucky as it dumped for about 3 days and these just floated big arcs through it, the fishes needless to say didn't come out again!
Kids tend to adapt to different conditions far quicker than us oldies and get away without using the arsenal of equipment we need, sure they look pretty cool in their go backwards skis but unless they are planning to do a lot of going backwards & park skiing they in my opinion will lose a little responsiveness that a decent piste ski will provide.
Last word I'm not a big fan of putting kids in adult gear, I see it all the time unless your child is much heavier than the average, adult skis "and boots" tend to be stiffer, heavier and don't necessarily have the specific flex pattern that will ultimately allow a child to progress quicker.
Very Happy
Edit, another reason kids can get away with skiing in softer stuff on piste skis it that children are generally lighter in relation to their height than an adult and if your using the height method to size ski they'll have more float than an adult, eg. Both mine and my daughters race skis are correctly sized for us, her skis are only 15 % shorter than mine yet she is half my weight!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy