Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ankle flex/"Front of the boot"

Poster: A snowHead
FlyingStantoni, on steeps and the downside of bumps the reason you don't ankle flex esp when near the fall line is that you don't need to. Ankle flexion is a tool. Don't do it if it isn't going to help you achieve something. If you ankle flex in those situations you'll get out of balance. Many racers prefer boots with less forward lean esp on steeps so that they can both press the front of their boots and not get out of balance from having to be too dorsiflexed.

jimmer, indeed, if flowing fast enough I feel it's more about not impeding flow than creating forward movement (unless I have ended up back, which I frequently have)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr Harb believes forward lean and ramp angle are linked to skier height but I'm struggling to see why.

http://www.harbskisystems.com/archives/bootchart.htm

http://www.harbskisystems.com/archives/bootfwd.htm
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB, There is something in such a theory, by which I mean the shorter, stocky chap has a physiology befitting his form. Shorter stronger bones, tighter tendon-al structure and in general, this means less dorsiflexion, on the flip side the taller guy has perhaps a more elastic tendon al structure, allowing the bones to elongate further and thus, has greater dorsiflexion. This is a pretty sure test, but is by no means, 100% failsafe.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jimmer, I'm not sure anyone is arguing for "no ankle flex" - a few people have decided that's what I'm saying and built a decent straw man to argue against, but obviously you flex your ankle relative to every other joint to allow balance to be maintained. I think the negative with (extra) dorsiflexion at the start of the turn is that it will inhibit pivoting/steering and potentially cause the tails to wash.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaveC, i am with you to a point but it does depend on equipment choices, terrain etc as to whether or not a fore move to initiate the turn is desirable. For me it usually is.. In terms of degree of for movement and pressure on the shin a good tip i had once was that the amount of pressure against the front of the boot should be a shin "touch" or a shin "press" in other words usually some to keep centre fore but not a whole lot.. Dont want to hang on the front of the boot but the ankle joint is so key to get all the other joints flexing correctly and for me is the start of the chain of movement.

a very good point made by slikedges for us dome based teachers is that the terrain is quite steep for beginners and i am forever seeing people who were advanced too quickly and have very straight locked out outside / downhill ankles and i need to get them to exaggerate the ankle flex and a way of doing that is to press the front of the boot. over flex is easy to take away but no flex is much more prevalent in early stage skiers.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, good point...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DaveC, Each skier is different, has a different physical body. It's essential to find your own stance and the right stance is when you can feel your body weight as much on your toes and on your heels. Well, keep your body weight on all the length of your feet and you will be stable in every conditions. Easy on greens, blues and red, not as much on blacks! Why? If you want to be right in the middle of your skis at the end of the turn you should increase the pressure on your toes when you initiate your turn. The commitment is almost easy on gentle runs and it's getting difficult in the steepness. Practice and practice and have fun!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmmm interesting thread. Glad to hear that what a lot of people have said agrees with some of my recent skiing experiences. I must be on the right track Happy I suppose the whole pressing forward thing is just a bad way of trying to say being slightly fore balanced but I can see it is a cue or feeling that is easy to self-check.
I have noticed that in harder snow conditions or skis with less side cut it's quicker to get the edges to "dig in" if you apply pressure on the shovel at the start of the turn. Kind of like to think about it in that the shovel "carves" the groove and the tail follows it hence has to do less digging. Once you've built up some flex you get more of it by moving to the centre.

Slightly new angle on the topic: I noticed that coming out on the tails actually accelerates you, even if it means you can not initiate the next turn as quickly. Is there any truth in this or just my imagination? It sure is fun, felt like I was being lauched 2 feet in the air but was probably more like 2 inches!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oldscool, Back in days of yore, when I was a lad, racers went into a turn with weight on front of their skis and exited with their weight back, to speed themselves up on the exit. Weren't they called "jet" turns ? I'm thinking in particular of Killy, and others of that era. Took a lot of strength !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cant do that so much with modern short skis, you will almost certainly flip back.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Depends on how far back you go! If you move as far inside the turn as you can, then it's going to be nigh on impossible to finish the turn without being to some extent, aft. Not neccessarily a jet turn, you just have to move your skis back under your CoM and continue into the next turn. Wish I could draw in the snow to help illustrate what I mean!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've just read all this and feel blinded by technicalities....!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Picadilly, that's a frequent problem in BZK - you want to be a bit careful venturing in here. wink I know someone who is a professor of theology at one of the ancient universities and I recently went online to read something which she'd written: I told her how horrified I was by my inability to understand a single word of it, it might just as well have been written in Swahili, so far as I was concerned. She roared with laughter and said that, in that rarefied world, the eggheads write for one another, and not for ordinary mortals, so much so that it's a point of honour to be so obscure as to mystify even your peers. BZK is sometimes like that. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, OK, I'll just carry on then...

Nothing to see here wink

*creeps out*
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

It sure is fun, felt like I was being lauched 2 feet in the air but was probably more like 2 inches

T' was you playing with the virtual bump. Very Happy

here is a thread to get stuck into:

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1682513&highlight=virtual+bump#1682513

enjoy:
ski holidays
slikedges, ummm, I question why you wouldn't be flexed in bumps. I find that just at the end of the turn I am rather flexed.
snow conditions
kevindonkleywood wrote:
Quote:

It sure is fun, felt like I was being lauched 2 feet in the air but was probably more like 2 inches

T' was you playing with the virtual bump. Very Happy

here is a thread to get stuck into:

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1682513&highlight=virtual+bump#1682513

enjoy:

Haha, that's what it must have been! Mind you it was before lunch so less likely I was imagining things Happy To be fair I'd just come out of some really heavy crusty pow onto hero snow but carried on skiing the same way (shovels on top before initiating the next turn).
ski holidays
under a new name, didn't say ankles wouldn't be flexed in bumps, just that they wouldn't be flexed in the fall line. The ankles are dorsiflexed at the point of greatest absorption ("end" of turn?) but then as you turn, your ankles open to press the ski tips down as you extend, don't they? (I'm no expert and definitely not close to your level of bump skiing!) I think that at the point during this that your skis are in the fall line, the ankles would be open.
ski holidays
slikedges, ah, yes, I'd say you are absolutely spot on. my mis-interpretation snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy