Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half Term : Really. How Busy Is It? (Please be nice)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
pam w, more like poor finances kept them away. I understand some people have lost jobs and wot not - Arab dictators have been very badly hit as have non-hot newsreader-ettes over 43 (ie all of them)

The Flying Snowplough, it took me 15 years to forget La Plagne too and even now, once in while, I awake screaming in a cold sweat - arrgghhhhh the buildings, arrghhhhh the queues AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just back from Wengen and despite half-term and the hotels seeming full and some fresh snow, hardly had to queue at all providing we were up the hill by 0900.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
My impression is that this last half term was quieter than usual because reports (whether right or wrong) of poor snow kept quite a lot of people away.

definately second this. Week before last was quiet in Chamonix despite it being part of Frances half term, and whilst last week was busy(er) it was nothing like last years insanity.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I didn't think St Anton was too bad, I hadn't been there before and didn't really know what to expect.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just back from PdS (Champoussin) it was definitely quieter than last year, the car park in our building was half empty and likewise in several others. Hideous queues in Avoriaz (and I had a, er, spirited discussion with a Frenchman who apparently didn't know what "Ralentir" means) but really no queues to peak of on the Swiss side, even at Mossettes the longest we waited was 5 minutes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

a Frenchman who apparently didn't know what "Ralentir" means)

everyone knows that - it means anyone skiing slowly will be shot. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Colin B wrote:
I didn't think St Anton was too bad, I hadn't been there before and didn't really know what to expect.

St Anton, and other Austrian resorts, tend not to be as mad as the French resorts at half term. St Anton sems to stay pretty busy from late Jan until late March, but is rarely crazy. New Year is a different story however...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, quiet was the impression we got in les carroz as well , apartment (er thats generous...box like studio like the one we rented!) next door was empty, as was across the corridor. Parking was easy as loads of space. Bit of a scrum for gondola first thing, but lifties filled the cabins! and got rather cross if you didn't do what you were told!!

However one digusting thing i noticed at half term was teenagers spitting from chair lifts on people skiing below...ugh

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 28-02-11 23:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I thought Samoens was extremely busy this half-term - and many conversations I heard in various queues and cafes in the other linked resorts seemed to suggest others were of this opinion too.
We skied to Les Carroz, Morillon and Flaine and all seemed to be copying much better.

We did find a sneaky lift that got us up to Samoens 1600 before the other lifts had opened so were often the first down some runs - however once the hoards arrived, ski-schools set off, ski-schools returned to base and just after lunch the popular slopes were fairly hideous and unfortunately dificult to avoid.

Tempted by Flaine for another year's HT but may now look at Easter breaks instead.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was in Obertauern for half term. Only on one day when strong winds closed all the uplift on one side of the mountain, did we ever queue for more than a few minutes for a lift. Most of the time the wait on lifts was almost zero (e.g.an average of 2-3 people deep)

Price-wise we didn't pay any premium for going at half time versus any other week in Feb. We drove, and petrol/tolls costs no more at HT, and the crossing is pretty cheap. We did a very nice 4* self-catering (http://www.winter-sonne.at/) for under £600 a head (accommodation, petrol, crossing, tolls). 400m from the lifts and and off-piste ski-to-door

At one point we were going to fly rather drive. Using Easyjet or Ryanair, which get very expensive at HT, I've found the best way is to use German Wings and fly Stansted to Stuttgart or Munich. This does leave a 3-5 hour drive/minibus the other end, but very affordable HT flights were available.

HT is really expensive if you go with a UK tour operator to a tourist heavy french resort. But if you DIY and avoid avoid the big French resorts, then you're fine.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having just come back from Val d’Isere, we had one 10 minute queue first thing Monday morning at the lift at bottom of the slopes (the Solaise express for those in the know). Subsequent mornings we had about a 5 minute queue at the first lift wherever that was first thing. For the rest of each day I’d say we had a 2-3 minute queue at most. Sometimes we almost got straight on.

You need to ski intelligently - or at least plan your ski day like so if you really want to avoid queues. Do things like get the first lift or if you like a lie in / are lazy then wait until after ski school have departed. Ski long and have a late lunch or conversely, especially if you start earlier then have lunch early too. That will mean you have about an hour of no queues and empty slopes whilst everyone is having lunch or returning to the resort if they’ve been on morning lessons.

If you can, then do a Sunday to Sunday trip. Your last Saturday will again be on empty slopes (certainly in France it seems to be). I’m a reasonable skier but no Bode Miller and I managed to ski from the top of the Grand Motte to the bottom of Sache in Tignes Le Breviere in 45 minutes on Saturday afternoon. That involved 4 lifts too, none of which are fast (those who know Tignes will know that Grand Huit and Aiguile Percee are particularly mind numbing). I went straight onto the lift at each stop and found almost no-one on the slopes.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We went to Termignon this year at HT, and had hardly any queues all week (apart from when ski-shool set off at 10am) and we frequently had the piste to ourselves. The tricky drag lifts to the top did occasionally get clogged up with the ski schools but no more than 5-10 minute queue and the pistes hardly every felt busy. Further down the valley in Lanslebourg or Lanslevillard it was busier but nothing like St. Gervais last year (same week) or Val Thorens the year before, where 20 minute queues were the norm and sometimes as much as 40 minutes. I suspect the conditions had something to do with it, but from speaking to people who'd been there before it never seems to get too busy in Termignon even at HT.

The drive home though was a different matter, 18 hours door to door (West London) but we made about 5 stops. Two hour queue to get through Chunnel even with flexi plus tickets (Peak Retreats). But the real delays were due to the Peage's. Paying 70 quid each way to use the road is bad enough but then having 2-3 hours added to the journey while they take your money is a bit rich.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Paying 70 quid each way to use the road is bad enough but then having 2-3 hours added to the journey while they take your money is a bit rich.

Yes, very annoying but wholly predictable at half term (and other peak weekends). There may be times when it's better not to pay, and stay on the Routes Nationale.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just come back from Tignes and found that the queue to be avoided at all costs was the one for the hot roast chickens in Sherpa Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
>>> Anecdotal evidence from checkin-queue-chatter suggests no queues in Cervinia, Serre Chevalier or Claviere either.

Dodgy info - there were serious queues in Serre Chevalier all week at resort level. However, generally ok higher up.

Much of the problem seems to be caused by the ski school. With lessons all starting/finishing at the same time it's not surprising that there are problems at resort level. A variety of lesson lengths, start times and pick up/drop off points would reduce the queues, but I guess that would leave instructors with the odd slots during the day when they weren't earning anything.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy