Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Unknown from Norway sets new world ski jump record

Poster: A snowHead
Last week, Johan Remen Evensen from Molde (Norway) broke the world record for the longest ski jump with a 246.5m jump. The record was broken on the new Vikersundbakken ski flying hill, which was officially inaugurated on Wednesday.
Ski flying is essentially a more extreme form of traditional ski jumping. The skiers use slightly modified equipment and the hills are built bigger.
...See: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hKhKm39WPu6SDaqWlQ3BYvyhMWaQ?docId=CNG.f2f46ee09510d3feffcf56f324917f92.801 and http://www.skijumping-news.com/component/content/article/38-news/805-johan-remen-evensen-with-all-time-longest-jump-of-243-meters

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 16-02-11 12:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not an unknown, more a young up and coming jumper. He has had some good results this season.

Ski jumping and ski flying are woefully under reported in the UK - Eurosport UK is the only channel regularly showing it. That's why practically all ski jumpers are relatively unknown in the UK! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Ski jumping and ski flying are woefully under reported in the UK - Eurosport UK is the only channel regularly showing it. That's why practically all ski jumpers are relatively unknown in the UK! rolling eyes

I could see why though, it is a tad repetitive. I think it's the kind of sport where to appreciate it you must understand it.

Big respect to the jumpers, must require a lot of guts to do that, but it's not something I'd watch. Nothing ever changes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
loved ski jumping as a kid but find it a bit repetitive as menationed above.
it's the style point part.. a bit too striclty for me
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Leeds_Skier, you could say the same about ski or, heaven forbid, motor racing! wink We have hours upon boring hours of darts and snooker on UK TV don't we!

The slightest variation in technique or weather can cause huge differences in distances &/or style marks. Standing at the foot of one of those hills, or worse still at the top looking down, in real life brings it home to you what guts it really takes. and then we can only judge from our own perspective.

The more people know about the sport, the greater the appreciation Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think tv quite brings home how big the hills are... Stayed in Courchevel Le Praz last year, by the old Olympic ski jumps... Huge things!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On a slight aside allways found the hill record thing a bit weird for ski jumping. The start point on the inrun is set by the organisers depending on wind, snow temp etc. so the jumpers land near the end of the steep part of the landing. For someone to set a record they need to basically out jump the hill and land on the flat so either the organisers have got it wrong or someone has started higher than they should have. To encourage people to try and set a new hill record you are basically asking them to land on the flat! In order to to jump further you need to build a bigger hill which I guess is what has happened here.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think they shoudl use a different pair of skis for each of their jumps, finishing off on a pair of slalom skis Smile

Or, when they do that Nordic combined comp (Ski jump followed by biathlong or cross country) they should get to choose which skis they use for the 2 events - ski jumping or cross country

Sorry
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue, I love skiing more than is healthy (hell I'm posting on here at the moment and have most msps collection on my hard drive) but would honestly prefer to watch snooker than ski racing or jumping. It's much more varied and you can really get into the battle between the two players rather than 160 players each having 30 seconds of screen time. Once you've seen one run you've seen it all, it's just not a good spectator sport.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When I were a lad Ski Jumping used to be a regular feature on Grandstand, and over the course of the season you got very familiar with the main athletes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I went skiing in Norway it seemed to be on Norwegian TV every night.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I saw this jump on Eurosport and immediately went outside to look along the street and estimate how far 246 metres was. Unbelievable! I think I probably went pale at the thought . Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's the style marks thing that really put me off. Providing you make the landing it should be about distance only.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Providing you make the landing it should be about distance only

Yep - that's what I always think when I watch it - but maybe because I don't understand it properly. Some sports you don't understand can still be good spectator sport though - I don't understand the finer points of rugby (or even some of the coarser points) but I still enjoy watching. Especially if Wales is playing! Ski jumping is a bit like juggling to me - very clever, but not very entertaining. I enjoy watching many of the other events though, even without much understanding of the finer points.

I always wish the commentators would provide more analysis - maybe some slo-mo of the slalom, for example, to see why a particular gate was taking very well, or badly.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pah, I did 5m further than that on the Wii last Xmas.
latest report
Samerberg Sue,

I guess it would be similar to a Ski Jumper watching Cricket, as much as I enjoy it, I can appreciate it's an acquired taste wink .

I'm not going to turn around and say Ski Jumping is boring, because I don't understand it enough to make that judgement but it could very easily be enterpreted as repetitive (i.e. ski down in a straight line - jump - keep the front of your skis high and your body aerodynamic - land with a telemark finish).

Alpine skiing and the downhill event particularly on the other hand I think is a good watch, the camera doesn't do justice to how fast the skiers are actually going and they are constantly on the edge of control. 2 minutes to descend from the summit to the valley on what is basically a steep ice rink.
ski holidays
Skijumping is like watching paint dry.

But it was a monsta jump.

The dude was in the air for a full 8 seconds.

Vid here.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy