Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sleeper train and station questions Paris Austerlitz to bourg-st-Maurice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello, I'm travelling on the sleeper train to bourg with some very little (read slow moving) children. Once you arrive in at Bourg can you stay on the train for a while or are you all kicked off straight away? Just trying to decide whether to book bus transfer leaving 25 mins after arriving or 1hr 25 mins.

Also we're going from Paris Austerlitz is there a decent waiting room or do you just have to hang around the concourse as they're bound to be asleep? Also do the trains come in early so you have plenty of time before departure.

Sorry for basic questions but rail Europe woman was quite vague about the whole thing so hoping plenty of Snowheads have done it before and found it a breeze.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Millie1, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Even at some of the intermediate stations like Moutiers, you get 5 mins or more for boarding/disembarking and as Bourg is the end of the line, there's no real rush to get off.
I'm not sure it would be feasible to remain on the train for an hour though, even at BSM.

The bus station adjoins the front of the train station so I'd have thought 25 mins would be ample time to get them off the train and to the bus, no? The guard tends to come down the carriage knocking people awake about half an hour before arrival anyway so plenty of time to get ready.

Typically the trains are available for boarding around half an hour before departure at Gare d'Austerlitz. There is a waiting room although it's often very crowded. There are also various cafés in the station which might be more comfortable to wait in for the small price of a glass or two of whatever takes your fancy.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get ready for a bun fight at Austerlitz, I'm afraid.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think 25 mins would be plenty of time to catch the bus.

Waiting at gare d'austerlitz is not much fun I'm afraid. Wrap up warm. Spend as long as possible in the restaurant on the concourse and then you just have to wait in the general waiting area. I think our train left around 10pm and we allowed far too much time. The train arrives in time for you to board but maybe only 30 mins or so before departure.

My children loved the sleeper and despite being very excited slept well.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok thanks for your help my visions of an orient-express type experience are being grounded and I'm thinking more national express. Will find a cafe and settle down for the long haul at the train station. Kids are so excited already. Have decided to take the later transfer at the other end since I've found out the tickets aren't changeable. Also when I say slow moving I mean really slow. Thanks again Millie1
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Millie1, you can get out of the train in Bourg and cross the road to bazoom bar opposite or the Tonneau bar on the right out of the station in Bourg. Both are a very short walk. Easy for the kids. I think they are open for breakfast. If not up the road on the left out of the station is Chez Roger, about 300m and they are open for breakfast most days. Hope you have a good trip out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Millie1, my husband and son are leaving from Austerlitz too, on Friday. According to last years communiqué de presse SNCF have lots of people in red "gilets" to help travellers find their trains/composter their tickets etc. It sounds busy - last weekend they said there was a train every 3 minutes from/to the Gare de Lyon Shock . And 50 sleepers arriving/departing on busiest weekend last year. So does sound like
Quote:

a bun fight at Austerlitz, I'm afraid.

They put on special waiting areas for children (colouring and toy trains etc) at Gare de Lyon last weekend but unfortunately didn't mention Austerlitz! I will look out for the communiquéde presse for this w/end on Thurs and see if there is anything useful in it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Millie1 wrote:
Ok thanks for your help my visions of an orient-express type experience are being grounded and I'm thinking more national express. Will find a cafe and settle down for the long haul at the train station. Kids are so excited already. Have decided to take the later transfer at the other end since I've found out the tickets aren't changeable. Also when I say slow moving I mean really slow. Thanks again Millie1

Millie and AW - I'm sorry I have been a bit matter of fact about the sleeper experience. The children love it and it is great arriving in the alps in the morning and having plenty of time to get organised for skiing.
We went on the Briancon line 3 yrs ago and paid for the first class 4 berth sleeper. I think I was expecting it to feel more first class than it did and was a bit disappointed. It was great having the sleeper part to ourselves. however as i mentioned to AW the loos were a bit smelly and only one at the end of each carriage. It would have been nice to have had a private wash basin at least. there was also no food or hot drinks on board the train. However these two issues aside the beds were comfy enough and the children slept very well. I was quite excited and felt wide eyed and unable to sleep much unfortunately but my husband slept like a log.

If either of you have under 6s ask the SNCF for side bars for the bottom bunks (to stop children rolling out). I think you can request them in advance.

Millie - I mentioned in another thread started by AW that I'd recommend taking a loo roll, parazone loo wipes and anti bacterial hand gel for the journey. Just in case loo lacks water, soap or paper by the end of the night. A large bottle of drinking water might be a good idea too. I think they may provide small bottles in the sleeper compartments.

We have been to the alps 5 times by train since having children (they are now 5 and 8 ) and on the whole it is a great way to travel.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy