Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada/USA or Europe for late Feb deal?

Poster: A snowHead
Was in Tignes in Jan and now looking to book a late deal for end Feb.
Given current snow conditions wondering if it might be worth the extra journey to Canada or USA for 7 day hol. Any thoughts?

Have done all my skiing over last 12 years or so in Europe, mostly France. Love the big resorts and great range for upper intermediate level cruising, but have no idea how Canada/USA would compare and whether I'd like it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
take the plunge and try the US, the tahoe resorts have some great cruising runs with a bit extra if you want to push yourself. The US has great snow and in resorts prices are pretty cheap even with the weaker dollar. Best to book your lift passes before hand and preferably with a UK operator as prices of lift passes in resort are very expensive. For Tahoe we went with Virgin on a flight into San francisco and this included car hire probably the best way to do it as you can then visit all the resorts quite easily.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dkirkuk, Its a long way to go for just 7 days, could you not make it 10 ?

I wouldnt really go to Tahoe for 7 days, much better to head to Utah or Colorado in the US, transfers are so much easier. As for Europe V North America theres been plenty of discussion on it. Its a different experience, as to whether you would like it? Do you like plenty of fresh powder on ungroomed runs between trees etc ? Empty runs and friendly locals, orderly lift queues if a queue at all ? The expense of a car isnt needed if you choose your destination, however the expense of it can be beneficial and make life a lot easier.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For moderate cruising probably Colorado is your best bet - direct BA flights into Denver & plenty of largish (for US) resorts to pick from. Nowhere is anywhere near as big as the Franch/Austrian/Italian mega linked areas so expect to go to a few places if you need to be skiing different runs every day. Tahoe has some excellent skiing but I'd say only Heavenly meets the Euro spec of lots of cruising groomers (& maybe Northstar).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi,

If you're only thinking of the US because of the european snow this January, I'd say wait a few days before you decide. Snow is forecast for Mon and Tue across the french alpes, with local feeling that we'll be in for a huge dump once it arrives . . .

Happy planning!

Heather
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow and Sunshine wrote:
with local feeling that we'll be in for a huge dump once it arrives . . .

No disrespect but I've never heard "locals" with a vested interested in tourist visits talking down potential snowfalls. Though of course no one ever points out that truly huge dumps mean lock down on skiing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dkirkuk wrote:
Love the big resorts and great range for upper intermediate level cruising, but have no idea how Canada/USA would compare and whether I'd like it?

If you want to stay with upper intermediate level cruising, the main benefit that you'll get from North America is empty pistes. On the other hand, you'll sacrifice the big resorts and you'll have to get used to repeatedly skiing the same runs.

If you want to stretch yourself, though, and start exploring powder, bumps, glades and steeps, you'll find the whole experience much more accessible in North America.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you do decide to go the USA route, Tahoe has not been getting much snow this winter. Best bet is to look for deals in CO & UT. Blue cruisers abound in places like Breck, Beaver Creek and Vail. You'll find the same in Park City, Deer Valley too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the comments.

Found a really excellent deal to Banff with the lift pass included and hotel that in the main has very good reviews on trip Advisor so we have decided to just bite the bullet and go for it.
Realise that it is a fair amount of travelling for 7 days but it feels like a bit of an adventure and will be good to try something new. A friend from the group I've skied with for the last few years has been to Banff several times and reckons we will like it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

local feeling that we'll be in for a huge dump once it arrives . . .

locals round here are sucking teeth and shaking heads....."pas grand chose"
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We go over to Whistler for 7day and get 6.5 days of skiing in as it is really 8days with the over night flight back.

Loads of runs there to keep you happy and nearly always ok for snow somewhere at the relevant height. In fact most years we get too much.

Super place very welcoming and a reasonable 2.5hr transfer after a long flight. Pedestrian village so no need for a car take the transfer options.

Maybe some cheap deals going at this late stage if you miss half-term and the american holidays.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

In fact most years we get too much.

I dont understand this remark Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Havent been anywhere yet thats had too much snow wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bones, when it snows in Whistler you can never see where you are going as it tends to bring cloud too.

Greedy me wants the snow over night !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jake43, Have been and experienced all that Whistler can offer, more than once wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dkirkuk, another consideration is that the big French resorts will be very busy with French school holidays in full swing (till mid March). Unless you specially enjoy lift queues, sounds like a good opportunity to go to N America.
snow report
Good choice buddy... they've had some epic conditions lately. I came back at the end of january. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy