Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Murren Inferno - advice for a novice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I'm seriously thinking of doing the inferno next year (or at least in the next few years before my knees get too old Laughing ). Does anyone have any advice?

I know I can cope with the skiing - I'm not too slow (did the men's downhill course at Sansicario in 3:45 with traffic) but I've never entered a ski race in my life. Puzzled

Do I have to wear the racing outfit or will normal skiwear be OK?

Are there any protocols (other than the race rules) I should know about?

etc, etc etc - any advice at all would be great.

Many thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a guy we know locally who did the race the last 2 years. I saw him only last Sunday - no doubt I'll see him again, so will ask the questions you raised
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
onefff wrote:
Hi all, I'm seriously thinking of doing the inferno next year (or at least in the next few years before my knees get too old Laughing ). Does anyone have any advice?

I know I can cope with the skiing - I'm not too slow (did the men's downhill course at Sansicario in 3:45 with traffic) but I've never entered a ski race in my life. Puzzled

Do I have to wear the racing outfit or will normal skiwear be OK? normal skiwear is fine aswell as normal skis

Are there any protocols (other than the race rules) I should know about?see the link below

Many thanks.

more info -

http://www.inferno-muerren.ch/frame_e.html

Make sure you arrive and ski the run a few times before the race and make sure you enjoy yourself !!

Anymore questions just post
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Chris - I think next year might be 'the one' then Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Do I have to wear the racing outfit or will normal skiwear be OK?

Are there any protocols (other than the race rules) I should know about?

Many thanks.

I'm not an expert but this year was my 9th Inferno. It's a blast. You do need to make sure you can get an entry. The first year I and my chums did it we just entered on line, I'm not sure that's a likely prospect any more. You are better off if you can enter under the aegis of a ski club for e.g. Kandahar.

Assuming you get an entry...

Your first will almost certainly have you starting right at the back. Assuming there is still daylight, you will be at the mercy of all the ruts, etc that build up over the day. The upside is that as long as you finish reasonably well, you'll have a much better start time the year after.

So year 1, you can wear whatever you like. After that, a catsuit is quite an advantage. I have a fetching example that I will sell you at a price.

Many other people will be using silly DH skis. While this is a lovely excuse to use kit you wouldn't normally otherwise, I personally prefer a pair of 190 GSs (factory race... delicious things to ski on). The DH boards help on the two long schusses, but are a fricking liability on the turny bits, as you would imagine.

Expect to drink very, very heavily, particularly after the race. Well, we do anyway.

Get fit. The uphill section is, IMO, where the seconds are really won for those of us who aren't insane.

Expect also to (if you put in the effort on the race day) to take a couple of days to recover. It can be quite exhausting!

PM for more considered wisdom... Twisted Evil

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 13-02-11 20:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
i see that they have one of teh Super 4 in Saa fee on teh Allalin

A few of us spent half of the other week doing top to bottom at first lift. I'll have to see what time sthose serious guys do it in, without admitting what we were doing

It was a good week to go, on more than one occasion on first lift we saw one other person on teh slopes between top and bottom, so we were able to give it a blast
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Onefff-- I've tried to enter for the past 3 years by printing off the form and posting it in but to no avail..I'm a member of the Ski Club of Ireland but reckon you must have to be in the know or just plain lucky to get in,they say that all "spare" places are awarded by "raffle" but I'm amused by the number of entries gained by Kandahar and D.H.O. ski clubs in proportion to the numbers gained by the also rans.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy