Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Career Break 2012

Poster: A snowHead
update:

Still really keen to get away and am trying to save money but its tough! Found some friends who are doing seasons in the French Alps next season which will always be an option...

... to be continued
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mikee_j,

If you want to get a qualification and get some skiing you could take a week off over the summer and do your Basi level 1 in a fridge in the uk and get the hours in you need to do so that you could do your level 2 during the winter 2012.

Combine a level 2 course with a couple of weeks skiing before to get to the requred level and still have some money left if you cant do a season Smile

level 1 in a fridge is about £500 so depending on whether you need to travel or premier in u can do it reasonably cheap- 70 hrs shadowing/instruction can be free as some fridges like the help.

a level 2 course is about £550 but you'll need lift pass, accomodation and flights but will still be cheaper than a GAP course especially if you can find somebody to share the accomodation with, when i looked at it for this year it was the accomodation that was expensive for one person.

Im about to start a thread as I plan on acheving my goals in life and i'm 41.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You are clearly not enjoying your career and at 28 it's a very long haul to retirement! I don't think a few months away skiing is going to close any doors for you (apart from losing your current job of course) so I wouldn't consider it a big gamble. But I'm not sure I'd bother with an instructor course unless you really want to instruct in future. When I was out in BC this season I spoke to a few guys on the 11 week courses and they were getting a bit bored with the routine towards the end. Just buy some big fat powder skis and get out with the locals.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd add my voice to those saying only do an instructor course if you want to instruct, although it will undoubtedly improve your skiing you will also spend a lot of time learning how to teach skiing and other aspects that are very relevant to instructing but not so much your personal skiing. I'd suggest you spend the money that would go on course fees on high level private instruction focussing on your personal goals, occasional lessons throughout a season interspersed with skiing with good skiers will see a massive improvement in your ability.

Obviously if you aren't on a long term course you have to be pretty focussed on getting out all the time, it sounds easy now but it's easy to avoid heading out on a cloudy, icy day when it hasn't snowed for a while and then miss a few more similar days and before you know it you haven't been on the hill for a week. The best way to avoid this is to find a number of regular ski partners you can do this by advertising on sites like this, TGR, pistehors and skipass you'll also meet people in resort.

Best thing I ever did and so good I did it again the next season Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IMHO unless you really want to make a career out of being an instructor (and think carefully, how long will that career be?), then your money may be more economically spent enjoying a season at leisure.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mikee_j, Just do it, i have always been of the opinion that i would much rather regret something i have done rather than regret something i had'nt.

Good luck
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mikee_j - have you thought of looking for a development surveying job in Geneva?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bf and I decided in January we fancied it, apartment booked, part time jobs almost landed, sabbatticals agreed.

Stop dithering and do it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Life's too short and you only get one chance at it

Three years ago I decided that after eight years of working as a solicitor and saving to buy a bigger house just for me enough was enough (a New Year trip to Soldeu with some amazing skiing also helped). After loads of research I decided to do an instructor course out in Canada and then go off and do some backpacking round the world. I planned to take 12 to 16 months off depending on a second ski season.

On my return from backpacking I had an offer of a job at the mountain where I had done my instructor course unfortunately I couldn't take it up as I had a job offer back here in the UK that I would have been supid to turn down. However I negotiated as part of my return that I could go back out to Canada for four weeks before returning to reality. For me the instructor course meant that I met a lot of local people I wouldn't have otherwise and I now have some true friends out in Canada that I keep visiting - I have racked up four more weeks since returning to reality last Feb Laughing

My return to work after the time out was hard but I always knew it would be however I always knew I had to return and earn some money even if I decided to go off and do it all again. Having been back 17 months I have taken a step back once again and decided enough is enough. I am now walking away from my career and off to become a primary school teacher. This once again is a risk given the current funding/budget cuts etc however I feel it is the right thing for me and whilst I also realise that I will be stuck to kids holidays for skiing holidays in the near future I am looking at the bigger picture and plan which for me will involve escaping the UK.

In reality a lot of people talk or wish about doing a ski season of travelling but never do as there is always an excuse. If you really want to do it you will always find a way. I know I was lucky that I quit my job and was able to walk straight back into one on my return but I was never going to be too proud to do any type of work (within reason as prostitution is not something I could imagine myself doing) to earn some pennies till something else came along. NehNeh

My theory is who knows what is round the corner and something will come along eventually.

Like others have said earlier in this thread savings is going to be the key. I had saved up a lot and always made sure that no matter how much I was enjoying myself I was coming back to enough money to survive and restart my life.

Good luck and enjoy! snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
for those who contributed and followed this thread, and by way of an update, i have now taken another job in London so the career break thing will have to wait for a few years.

I believe i have made the right choice now as the job is a great opportunity. Maybe i should focus on the career in london in order to afford an apartment or chalet in the alps??

still feel a little annoyed that i'm not 'following my dreams' but hey, one day i will!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mikee_j wrote:

I believe i have made the right choice now as the job is a great opportunity.

Congratulations!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This thread has inspired me. Thanks all Smile

I'm 28 and had several jobs since leaving school (I was in line to go to veterinary school, but life sort of jinked and I went into IT, my other childhood passion) and like you (perhaps?), was promised things by bosses that never materialised / did an excellent job and was never recognised (or the boss buggered off to a competitor in one particularly galling situation)... So frustrating.... So much in the working world comes down to luck (two self-made millionaires told me that separately, so I'm inclined to believe them) and mine for many years stunk. But I learnt a huge amount...

I'm now (thank God) in a job/company where the Directors reward commitment and appreciate and recognise talent... Which makes life so much happier...

... But I've recently connected back to skiing (after a few years without any trips ; learnt to ski when I was about 3 I think, skied regularly till about 20 odd) and really am desperate to get my ability level up as high as possible; also my fitness ; and make skiing a huge part of my life again. Work hard/play hard stylee...

I will use this thread as the somewhat needed motivation to ensure I'm not going to have regrets when I hit 50, 60, 70.... And I'll kick a$s at work till I'm 30 ; then probably use the 5 week sabbatical option the company offers to get away from it all and head to Argentina or Chile (I speak Spanish) and get some serious private tuition in / make some local contacts and investigate what the possibilities are for regular visits out there / options on employment out there / possibilities for consulting in UK whilst based out there. Maybe I can find a way to work on UK time out there (5am - 1pm would be 8am - 4pm in UK) ; that'd be awesome. Bah much, much more research needed but thanks all for your input and if anyone has more to add please do.

mikee_j, 'Grats on the new position ; I hope it works out well for you and that you still find a way to make a go of incorporating more skiing into your life. Perhaps keep your ear out for anyone who is working from home in the existing organisation or keep an eye out for consulting roles that could see you working remotely ; it's similar working remotely from the UK as from afar... Lots of people do it in the UK (and from my experience, achieve far less than those that attend the office, but who's to say) and it makes for a fantastic "model" to use to get more slope time in... Hard to do regular site visits though.... Shocked Anyways good luck man. Hope to see you on bashes soon! I'm just back from the PSB and as a Part 1er only (half the trip), it was a great short break, for a piddly sum! Recommended.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FYI - I took the "dream", left London for a season and am now sat in our apartment in the Alps watching the snow fall - will be here til April and our jobs are there when we get back snowHead
(lost deposit for our holiday but not that fussed as this is WAAAAAY better Very Happy )

mikee_j, good luck with the new job
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JaMMi, whereabouts in the UK do you live? Anywhere near an indoor or dry slope? You can go a long way towards improving your skiing by skiing regularly with a ski club.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks for the congrats on the job... i'm pretty excited about it.

JaMMi, glad this thread has inspired others too... your in a good situation where you can take a sabbatical! Hopefully me new place will offer this in a few years time. This is probably the perfect way to get some more skiing in.

Nadenoodlee, nice!! and not jealous ha!! Sounds perfect as you got the job to come back to... enjoy!
ski holidays
mikee_j, have you just moved to London? Make the most of it! For all it's crazyness I love the place Very Happy
latest report
Nadenoodlee, no, been here 4 years. I love London and am making the most of it!!! Just no mountains and snow wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy