Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ladies' all mountain ski recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowheads!

After 20+ years of rentals, I am about to take the plunge and buy my first pair of skis. Very excited! Unfortunately no opportunity to demo so any advice/recommendations gratefully received.

Relevant details are...
Height: 5' 5"
Weight: 122 lb
Experience: Skied mainly on-piste for 20-odd years, very confident, generally prefer to do medium-radius relaxed carving turns. Have been doing much more off-piste over the last 2-3 years and really enjoying it. Want to get better at powder and moguls. Now spend my time about 45/55 on/off piste.

I don't want to jump straight from carving rental skis to something that has a really wide turn radius or is super fat. Also don't want to go too heavy, as I'm not used to a lot of weight underfoot and like being able to float over powder without having to work hard. But I do want something that is stable on all terrains, even at speed, and powerful enough for cutting through heavy stuff. I'm bored of rental shops looking at my height and build and giving me something that is too slalom-ish and far too easily flexed.

So far on my list are...
Fischer Koa 78s (probably in 159cm)
Fischer Koa 84s (again probably 159cm)
K2 Lotta Luvs (156cm)

Any views on any of the shortlist above? Should I be looking at any others?

Many thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry, left one off the list: Head Wild One (156cm)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Test in German

http://www.planetsnow.de/test/skitest-10-allmountain-ski-fuer-damen.479799.6.htm?odckampagne=42er_aktuelle_tests_tourenski

Summary

Piste / Off Piste / Sport / Enjoyment (cruising)

Stöckli LXL ..........100 60 40 70
Head Great One... 100 60 80 50
K2 Free Luv .........100 60 40 90
Scott Realm ........ 100 60 40 80
Fischer Koa 75....... 80 40 30 70
Blizz' Viva Mag' .... 100 60 60 90
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, in the context of that test, does "sport" mean racing/speed?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
DB, in the context of that test, does "sport" mean racing/speed?

They are not race skis but yes "Sport" is for Ladys who want to push it a bit (fast women Wink ) and "enjoyment" is for ladys who want to cruise around (probably more forgiving with a lower speed limit)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My wife is also looking at skis for similar usage her hit list so far is Head Great One, K2 Lotta Luv and Scott Rosa. She currently skis on a 156cm but is now looking to go a bit longer 163cm to help with a bit more float off-piste.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many thanks DB and kevinrhead.

Kevin, are there any particular reasons why your wife is looking at the Great One over the Wild One? From the reviews and the stats it looked to me as though the Wild One had a better width and radius for off piste but happy to be corrected...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Two of the ladies we were skiing with this year were on Salamon Ladies. One loved them, the other one complained she couldn't engage the edges quickly enough. The lady who loved them was a strong skier, the one who didn't was slightly less so. Hope this helps....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Londoner27,

An 84mm wide ski for someone of your low weight is probably going to give you more float than a 120mm wide ski for a 'heavy' man. If the skis you have been renting were too soft it might be worth trying normal/unisex (non-lady) skis although it might be that you were given soft learner skis because of your size and unisex skis will be too stiff. If you can it's best to try in different conditions (i.e. arrange with the rental shop to try many skis with a view to buying and knocking at least some of the rental cost from the purchase price should you buy).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Londoner27, I've tried all sorts of skis and for piste skiing you can't beat a pair of Stöcklis. I have the Rotor 74 which is a relaxed, smooth, easy carver with fabulous edge hold, goes as fast as I like and isn't bad for a bit of off piste. Alternatively, I really liked the Dynastar Exclusive Legend - although a softer ski than the Stöckli.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Londoner27, I'm 5'6 and 135lbs and ski a 159cm.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi erica2004, I agree that Stocklis are fantastic: used their carvers in Engelberg and Zermatt and was very impressed. Sadly they seem expensive and hard to find in the UK!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
this thread might help
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=73498&highlight=
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Londoner27, when I was looking last year I had the ones in your opening post on my shortlist, the Dynastar Exclusive Legend and Movement Spicy. Settled for the Movement Spicy in 163 cms which I really like Very Happy Very Happy (I'm 5' 7", 9.5 stone)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cathy thanks for the suggestions. How does the Movement Spicy compare with the others you tried for weight and stiffness?
ski holidays
Scott Rosa or Voelkl Aura.
snow report
I would stick with the wider end of your choices, high 70s skis are pretty pistey, even for someone of your size. If it's really icy rent some slalom carvers. I am a lot bigger than you but haven't been skiing nearly as long. I bought a pair of Volkl Bridges ( 90ish underfoot) and really loved them, fatter skis make skiing off piste much easier so you end up spending more time there Smile I really like them on and off piste as long as there is fresh snow. They make skiing in slushy spring snow more fun as well. The only condiitons I don't love them is when it's really icy and I have just bought a second hand pair of slalom skis from ebay for this. I would second SMALLZOOKEEPER, suggestion of the Volkl Auras. I just got a a pair for touring, they are really light and easy to ski but don't feel at all noodly. I haven't loved most womens skis I've tried but I really liked these and they carve pretty well as well, unfortunately they have discontinued the size I have Sad
snow report
Londoner27, I second SMALLZOOKEEPER's suggestion of Scott Rosa. I'm 5' 6" and about the same weight as you and I liked them. Seemed to work well on and off piste.
snow conditions
Thank you all so much for the helpful recommendations!
SMALLZOOKEPER and maggi, how are the Scott Rosas in terms of stability at speed? And what length would you recommend for the Scott Rosa? (158cm looked about right to me.)

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on the Rossi S80W?
snow conditions
Londoner27 wrote:
how are the Scott Rosas in terms of stability at speed? And what length would you recommend for the Scott Rosa? (158cm looked about right to me.)

They were fine for me at speed and I had the 158s. I don't own these skis. They were chosen as a demo ski for me. I skied them for 3 days and was impressed. Previously, I knew nothing about them so I wasn't buying into any preconceived hype.
ski holidays
My other half bought some Line Celebrities a couple of seasons ago and is delighted with their all round performance - they are 90mm under foot so very good in the soft stuff but they also carve on hardpack - very quick edge to edge. They got very good reviews in the North American magazines. I f you want an all in one -do anything quiver well worth having a look at.
latest report
Londoner27, Perfectly stable at all speeds. Given that the world has now gone rocker mad with tips flapping around the piste like fish on the back of a Norwegian Trawler, i'd say they were perhaps too stiff. Toofy Grin
snow report
Hi. You must try them first.
I'm a fairly dynamic skier, 168cm (honest) and 63Kg. Bought Saloman Shoguns last year which are brilliant.
Despite width (99) and length I find them quick edge 2 edge with good hold on ice. Not too shaped so ok to side slip yet soft enough to carve into short turns.
I have 173s, stable and transformed deep powder skiing. I found Lords too flappy and Scott Mission stable but stiff at my wt so hard work for all day use. Rosa are softer?
My older skis are Rossi B83s @ 168 which are good general purpose. Many find them a bit soft but depends on wt of course.
Shoguns do everything at least as good and powder better

I would look at Shoguns in one size down - or the Geisha of course

Good luck
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy