Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which carvers and which fat skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Right I've had a pair of Scott Punishers for two years now. I find them really capable across the board and do love them but I find in deep powder they are just not up to it and on hard packed pistes going full race pace they just don't cut it. So I've decided to get rid and buy two sets. The first should be a dedicated on piste carver. I'm thinking a GS or skier cross race ski. Any ideas? The second should be at least 110mm probably with a rocker. Again any suggestions would be welcome. Price range would be up to £400 for each set of skis. Also is there an easy way to swap bindings on skis. I'm thinking if I'm taking 2 sets I'll struggle to get them both in my luggage with separate bindings but would be easy if one didn't have them.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I tested a Rossignol S3....and although I know you want 2 skis that ski seemed to cross the divide very well, it has a big rocker that will engage und load, so try a longer one that usual.

otherwise... well I would go for the extemes... a Volkl tigershark 10FT I found to be the utlimate carving machine , and a Volkl Katana the ultimate JCB Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't know much about piste skis, but I'm absolutely loving my Moment Bibby Pros offpiste, way way more versatile than I expected at 118mm, rocker in the tips camber underfoot works really well. Shame the topsheets next year are minging.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I'm thinking a GS or skier cross race ski. Any ideas?

Kneissl Black Star, or next years Silver Star. Both awesome!
Off piste - Whitedots all the way Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Diddly, if you do get a set of bindings on each pair of skis, get a double ski bag (£45 for a salomon one from EB) and you'll be fine.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Off-piste - Whitedot Preachers (and suprisingly good on piste too)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Diddly, compromise? Volkl Mantras?

Otherwise, if you can cope with them, go all the way and get full bore FIS slaloms for your on piste.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Diddly wrote:
Also is there an easy way to swap bindings on skis.

Yes, see the threads about binding inserts. i used them this year, and they work fine.

Don't discout slalom ski for on piste fun either.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
s7 they carve mint and can do everything else aswell i the right hands piste,park,powder,trees,chutes,drops,bowls 1 ski does everything as long as you keep smooth they carve suprisingly well Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pimp my ride: http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.browse/category_id,46/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=46&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon, I have been meaning to ask you,can you put the inserts into already mounted holes?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
meandrew, no they don't Little Angel

Actual, useful input... Head Titans/Magnums, Dynastar Contact 4x4s/Cross Ti's, Nordica Fire Arrows are all I'd consider - all around 15m~ radius, stiff. I don't think any recreational skier has made the best choice picking a purely race bred ski... and a GS-esque sidecut is just awkward if you have people in the way ever.

Fat skis really are to taste - I hate tail rocker because it makes maching groomers or chopped snow, but is pretty fun if you use it as intended, and width between 100-130mm is pretty much down to preference too - at that point if you're struggling for float it's definitely not the tools at fault. I really like early rise, long turn radius, cambered underfoot, pin/square tail because it's very capable of everything but adds a lot more options in ungroomed snow. Like clarky999 said, internet research on fat skis is actually pretty straightforward if you work out what you actually want your ski to do.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DaveC, yes mine do if you have had time on a pair you would know this ask any s7 users and they will say the same,if you can ski you can if you are a c**p skier you might struggle. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
s7 or inserts? Dave Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
meandrew, s7s - I'm not going to bother going round every S7 user I see asking if they "carve mint" or worrying about how crap I must be if I disagree Wink
ski holidays
DaveC, have you skied on them? and I aint saying You,are a crap skier.What I was trying to say is that modern fattish ski`s now also have the abillity to be fun on piste aswell as off Bentchetlers,billy goats,wailers,Ep,s7,blogs,Line prohets and the white dot skis.If you have the skills to carve your turns I think you can have a great time anywhere on said skis but yes you are right it is a choice thing.I sold all my ski`s once I had a ski on the s7`s as I like their abillity to do pretty much everything I want in one ski and cheaper than dragging two pairs off ski`s about and changing ski`s when the conditions change.I didnt mean to offend DaveC Little Angel
snow report
http://on3pskis.com/products/billy-goat/ http://www.ski-review.com/ski_reviews/review/dps_wailer_112rp_2011/ http://homeboyski.com/2009/02/25/atomic-bent-chetler-183-cm-0910-ski-review/ http://www.evo.com/skis/rossignol-s7-2011.aspx if you read the reviews of other people they seem to think the same or is it just little old me rolling eyes .DaveC,
latest report
Cheers for the suggestions everyone. The S7's definitely look good. I'll have to demo them to see along with some of the other suggestions. I guess I still want a dedicated piste ski as although I'm sure they do carve well I'm sure they are somewhat compromised on piste. Surely you won't get the rebound and acceleration of a dedicated carver out of the turn. The video I found of them being demoed showed that In my opinion and I'm pretty sure the guy riding them wasn't crap. I'm sure they are fun carving on piste but I'm pretty sure you would have more fun on piste with a dedicated on piste ski and I'm willing to put up with the hassle and cost of lugging two sets around to get the best out of all conditions.
snow conditions
yeah diddly you are right hope you find what your looking for snow and rock demo but best bet is in resort if we get any snow that is Laughing
latest report
meandrew, yes, I've skied them, they're OK, heavy though. Didn't like them, sorry. My current pow ski is a 196 Lhasa Pow, which is similar but with a longer radius and is way lighter. S7s are not torsionally or longitudally stiff enough to carve exceptionally - or particularly grippy. You can edge and rail them like any ski with edges, but that doesn't mean they're good at it, even for a ski it's size.

Not really sure why you're linking me to other generic fat skis, but the first actual S7 review I read said...

Pros: Forgiving
Cons: Heavy, Poor Grip, Poor Ride, Unstable
Describe Yourself: Competitive Athlete
Bottom Line: No, I would not recommend this to a friend

Anyway, not offended, just mildly trolling - you can roll your eyes all you want Wink
snow report
DaveC, did you write the first review?. Laughing lhasa pow that is like a fantasy ski lucky you,I am just slumming it on my noodly peices of poo-poo Very Happy :lol:hows the delamin going or has it not got you yet.
ski holidays
Diddly, Try to get some heads to demo. I'm currently skiing some Icon TT 80s on piste (in a 176). Quick and like skiing on rails. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
DaveC, Diddly, was asking for two skis to do two different things I only recomended rossis as a easy to get along with ski that is a lot of fun and could if wanted to be a single ski quiver I would say your Lhasa`s are more of a powder ski than the s7 and really what he was asking about .I guess the Lhasa`s are top ski`s after reading up the previous threads I would hate to have the probs some people have had though in regards of Qual/Cont its a long way to get things sorted out when probs arrise.You must ski big places?. :)TBO I was wrong as he said they are to under £400 a piece,I guess opinions on here are purchased biased and thats fair enough,but it is a tough one to demo skis as you need really to be in the mountains and not all Manufacturers are in all resorts so to narrow it down off peoples opinions and then find out that you can only get to demo at a certain time and place is a nightmare for people wanting to spend wiseley on a exspensive piece of kit.Like yourself as you said in another thread you want a smaller ski but who now wants your larger ski you have bought,if you dont demo it can be a costly mistake,do you now get on with them?.
snow conditions
Has anyone got any reviews on the movement jam ski
ski holidays
Going to buy new skis for my holiday ,thinking about the movement jam or the solomon lord , would appreciate any feed back .
snow report
meandrew, you've totally lost me - anyway, my point was S7s definitely don't carve as well as you're making out, for obvious reasons. If you're reading my previous threads you'll probably notice I have a decent background on fat skis and I guess with technique... I actually haven't heard any issues with quality control on the newer PM Gear skis anyway but not really interested in brand loyalty anyway. Like I said, I don't think demoing fat skis is all that vital if you have the time and know what you actually want out of your gear.
ski holidays
DaveC wrote:
meandrew, yes, I've skied them, they're OK, heavy though. Didn't like them, sorry. My current pow ski is a 196 Lhasa Pow, which is similar but with a longer radius and is way lighter.

Anyway, not offended, just mildly trolling - you can roll your eyes all you want Wink
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=1508706 now I am confused you skied them didnt like them but you also love them Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
meandrew, are you high? I like the style of ski they fit into, which is the context of that quote. I didn't like them directly compared to the Lhasas because they do everything worse. I'd never buy a pair, like I'd never buy some original Spatulas when there are better versions, though I love the Spat style ski too. I appear to of upset your applecart by not agreeing that they're the best ski ever and saying they don't carve turns well. They can be the second coming if it makes you happy, I really don't care.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveC wrote:
meandrew, are you high? I like the style of ski they fit into, which is the context of that quote. I didn't like them directly compared to the Lhasas because they do everything worse. I'd never buy a pair, like I'd never buy some original Spatulas when there are better versions, though I love the Spat style ski too. I appear to of upset your applecart by not agreeing that they're the best ski ever and saying they don't carve turns well. They can be the second coming if it makes you happy, I really don't care.
Dave I dont either Toofy Grin i want to sell mine any how Laughing saving up for some lhasa pow`s wink
latest report
buthnot wrote:
Has anyone got any reviews on the movement jam ski

buthnot, welcome to snowheads snowHead
See: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=72804
snow report
I've been skiing on a pair of Rossi 8GS this season and can recommend them as all rounders. Excellent on piste and seem to work well off piste, on steeps in proper powder. I've been very pleasantly surprised.

http://www.rossignol.com/TR/TR/radical-8gs-worldcup-oversize_RA0BC02_product_ski-men-skis-race.html
snow conditions
Back to your original question, for a set of piste specific skis I can highly recommend the Fishcher RC4 Worldcup RC C-LINE. I'm a convert to the 2 ski approach, right tool for the right job and all that. I've never skied a fat or mid-fat ski that can get close to these for on piste performance.
ski holidays
Cheers Adie I saw your review on those and they look good.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy