Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort Ski Map of Ski-Welt

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My rant to-day is 2004/2005 ski map/information produced by the local area tourist offices for the Ski-Welt.
On our first visit to the region we stayed at the Hotel Christoph in Ellmau, a delightful well run family hotel. In the 2002/2003 the local information contained all you want to know with full details of all lifts together with the usual artist type depiction of the ski lifts and their runs all numbered properly. Inside this brochure one side approximating the size of A4 was given over to a very detailed schematic map of the ski-ing with various circuits and and a numbered index showing the huge number of the bars and restaurants to be found from Westendorf to Going. Clearly this detailed plan had been incorporated into the local tourist information 1) to help skiers find their way round the huge complexity of this area 2) show a number of interesting ski circuits that could be taken 3) point out suitable "watering holes" for tired and thirsty skiers!

We were a group of 25 people of varying skills and the then detailed ski maps made it easy for us to all meet up a suitable "hutte" both for lunch and at the end of the day. For many of us this was our first time in the Ski-Welt and we all thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

This past winter many of us decided to repeat the experience and we again stayed at the Hotel Christoph. However this year to my absolute dismay the local Ski-Welt tourist information devoted one side of the brochure to winter and the other to summer, and the absolutely essential detailed ski map had been removed. I went to the tourist office to see if there were any maps left over from previous years, but there wasn't.

Fortunately a member of group still had the detailed ski map from 2 years previous and our hotel kindly photocopied a few copies for us, which greatly assisted our navigation round this large ski-ing area.

When you go to this area for the first time, I defy anyone to find their way from Ellmau to Itter, without any problems, using the current ski map information. Moreover all the super little "huttes" and restaurants throughout this area have much less visibility now that there is no map to show their exact locations. What's the local tourist office for Ski-Welt thinking of??

What are your experiences of good and bad local tourist office ski maps?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jungfrau region maps have always been pretty good marking all the lifts. pistes (including piste numbers) and restaurants but they tend to be quite big unfolded typically A3 size seems quite common, an example can be seen here
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy