Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski lesson video - would you pay a few quid for a memory stick?

Poster: A snowHead
skimottaret, I think it's worth putting in place and you should be able to turn a profit on it. Personally I like copies of any course video but Trainers seem to struggle to actually supply it.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
david@mediacopy wrote:
skimottaret, You need 'Inside Out' branded memory sticks and I can help - http://www.mediacopy.co.uk/USB_flash_drives.htm

however, I suspect that you are probably better branding DVDs as they are significantly cheaper. Decent quality USBs will make the proposed price point in the OP unsustainable.

Off topic, but thought you'd be interested to know that webpage opens up in super widescreen for me, wider than my screen which is running at 1920x1200, whereas the homepage is fine....

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, Odd, my screen is 1440 x 900 and it seems fine... It's a pretty old design, originally coded for 800 wide monitors. I changed the background image a while ago to allow for winder screens and I wonder if that's the issue.

If you've a sec, could you have a peep at some of the other pages and let me know if they are the same ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
david@mediacopy, other pages seem ok, seems it only does it on Chrome, appears ok on IE.....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, if you need branded goods. www.brand-inc.net

i have no shame Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, Cheers. Not got Chrome (Google phobic !) but will have a look.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Youtube does have two mechanisms to limit access: only to specific users, and to anyone who has the link. In neither case can you find the video by searching for it.

Ah - useful. Suspected that may be possible but never investigated. I'm not a signed up user. Would also be a video left in cyberspace for the average punter, who wouldn't be able to download the original file. Did have a script for that but not sure what I did with it. Have Vimeo one - uses about 25% of the resources to play full screen HD compared to the normal in-page flash version.

A lot of effort. I'd prefer either video on a stick, or video somewhere online for me to download.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy wrote:
I'd prefer .. video somewhere online for me to download.

If it's on youtube then it is online and you can easily download it and watch it offline.
Quote:
I'm not a signed up user

Well you are certainly doing a good job of showing you know little about it!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RobW wrote:
andy wrote:
I'd prefer .. video somewhere online for me to download.

If it's on youtube then it is online and you can easily download it and watch it offline.

The original file?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
.Ro wrote:

The original file?

How "original" do you want to be? When recoding video, there will always been bits in it which that needed cutting out, and then the whole thing will need to be stuck together to make a something that is watchable, and then rendered into the chosen output format.

When someone uploads a standard definition video to youtube, then youtube transcodes it typically to 240p 360p and 480p - these resolutions are normally AIUI in flash, so will have been converted from the original format. But if you upload at higher resolutions, then youtube also makes 720p and 1080p versions available, and these are in mp4 format. These aren't necessarily in the same format to what you uploaded - depends what you uploaded - but the highest resolution available is the same as what you uploaded.

There are two real-life problems with putting the "really really original" files somewhere for people to download: firstly they may not have suitable software/codecs to play the video; and secondly is the bandwidth costs when you get people downloading videos can really start to mount up. Video sharing sites (youtube, vimeo etc) make sharing video easy for both the video maker and the customer - why make life difficult for both?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
david@mediacopy wrote:
skimottaret, I think it's worth putting in place and you should be able to turn a profit on it. Personally I like copies of any course video but Trainers seem to struggle to actually supply it.

I looked into doing proper edited video some time ago but the time involved to do a decent job was too onerous. I would just be giving people raw footage of the clips during training dont think we will be making anything on it just more of a courtesy service. the clips are typically 50meg so i am thinking i might be able to use cheap CD's instead of DVD's for day courses and perhaps DVD's or sticks for week long courses but seems as though the people on our away clinics that are bothered about video bring a stick anyways...

I cant stand that on a basi course they wont give you video. i dont have any tape of myself for at least three years cause of that.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:
i dont have any tape of myself for at least three years cause of that.

that may not be a bad thing wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops, oi ! how about a challenge i will get skimottaretjunior to get some tape and will stick it up here for movement analysis if you do the same with some boarding footage
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm so forgetful I would be the sort of person that would forget a stick or disc but I am also the sort of person who would like the video too. So for me an option to purchase would be great. Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, no chance - I do not want to be humiliated Very Happy
ski holidays
skimottaret, I think video is great, but without the detailed analysis that you and Rob provide, it's useless. Perhaps I ought to make notes while you analyze - if I did that then, yes, that would be an incentive to buy a stick, CD, whatever. As it is now, I can't say that having numerous records of myself skiing like a drain is particularly appealing. wink
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
without the detailed analysis that you and Rob provide, it's useless.
Perhaps you should video us doing the video analysis Happy
snow report
rob@rar, ah Rob san. forget to get your opinion on this wink , waddya think CD, DVD stick ..branded or unbranded
snow report
USB スティック. それ以外はあまりにも時間がかかるだろう
ski holidays
I'm a relative newbie on the site, so hello to all.

I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned Vimeo. In many ways it has the same functionality as Youtube, but with greater control over access and look (at least if you sign up for the pro option), it also allows people to hit a download link and get the movie file, as well as watching the video online.

Also as a media professional I use Amazon AWS for hosting video files for download by my clients, it's dirt cheap, has unlimited storage and if you use Cloudfront it's fast worldwide - I thoroughly recommend it, though it will take a little bit of HTML coding for you to set up user friendly download pages for your clients, so this might be a barrier.

Memory sticks get lost, DVDs scratched, web downloads are the way to go, just make sure you cut in a logo at the top and tail of your video so that it's branded!
latest report
formerskibum, thanks! we already have a vimeo channel but uploading the video takes a while we tend to only use it for edited video not the raw clips of clients.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
USB スティック. それ以外はあまりにも時間がかかるだろう

yeah hadnt thought about the time to format the disc
snow report
skimottaret, I would pay £4-£5 for a stick if I forgot my own one. But I would still like to be able to supply my own one and not made to buy one
snow conditions
Glen Charman, absolutely bring your own will always be an option
ski holidays
Quote:

Perhaps you should video us doing the video analysis

That's what we do in Treble Cone, called private intense! Video analysis and while we're watching it, someone else is videoing the screen with voice over of instructor talking. Works well and fairly quick to edit once you've got your head around the editing software.

I think an option to get a stick is great, also as suggested by formerskibum, maybe having an online/download-able option too Smile
ski holidays
heidiky, interesting and as ansta1 suggested as well. that may be more of a "for sale" product, is it just a voice over or screen in type of video. could you post a sample?

we currently provide an end of week action plan for out clients foc and if we coupled this some relevent voiceover against video may be a good thing for clients on a paid for basis.

just looked and most of our week clinic videos total 300 to 400 meg and all the clips from our most prolific lesson taker is 2.1 Gig so a half gig stick may work out fine
snow report
skimottaret, This is a promo clip for the private intense - the bit where you see the tv screen is the bit I'm on about! So we basically just film the tv whilst giving analysis then edit in the important parts and give the client a dvd with their skiing and their analysis session.

http://youtube.com/v/5GCHHhjzDEg
I think having a written action plan is great too, as long as it's not overwhelming it should compliment the video Smile Something I think that could be added to our product!
snow report
heidiky, thnks we could probably do that without a huge stretch in time and will test it out indoors to see how it goes over here.

our written plans are a single sheet of handwritten notes so people feel they arent cut and pasted, not too much info or too techy but hopefully a decent summary they can review. we had a guy turn up recently with his action plan from a year ago so were pleased they take em in the spirit intended. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy