Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The family conunndrum

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, been lurking on the site for a while now whilst things "progressed" at home to the stage I'm at now. Which in itself has raised problems - more of which below.

I've been an on/off skier for a fair few years now, and would say I'm currently at an intermediate level (although I havent been for 3 years so thats probably a bit of a pipe dream now). I've ski'd a few places over the years when I was in the army, (Austria/Cyprus), and have also done Whistler (which I absolutely loved).

My wife, unfortunately, has never been into the skiing thing - until now Very Happy . She had a couple of hours lessons on an indoor slope (Xscape) and realised (what I'd been telling her all along) that she really really enjoyed it. She's off for another few hours lessons next week so she gets a bit of confidence up, before we go to a hastily arranged trip up to Glenshee the weekend after. She doesnt like cold and rain, so i'm hoping this will be a success. Our 3 and a half year old is being looked after by grannies for the weekend Very Happy Very Happy

Well, on to the main point I suppose. Unfortunately we have already booked our holidays for this year (yup, the lazing by the pool in the sun routine, which she loves). I am however, hoping to try and book a ski holiday for the end of the year or early next year. Obviously this throws up all sorts of conundrums as to where/whens the best time/best resorts/price, and probably most importantly child activities/care.

I'd be willing to travel pretty much anwhere, but ideally it would involve somewhere with reasonably decent weather, and something (probably shopping Sad ) for my Mrs to do, as she deffo wouldnt ski every day. Somewhere to take our little boy would be nice as well.

I've trawled around a few of the big holiday operators sites but cant seem to find anything firm (or within price really) that I think that would do nicely. We are pretty much accustomed to arranging our holidays ourselves, but think that a first time skiing one (especially with a 4 year old) would maybe be better left to the experts. I honestly dont even know what country I'd like us to go to - let alone what resort.

I dont really have a budget to hand but for a week I suppose would be looking at something in the 2-2.5k range (I'm not even sure if thats in the right ball park), and would like it to include flights/transfers a decent hotel, and preferably kit hire or lift passes if they could be squeezed in.

I'd ideally like it to be a really nice holiday that my mrs would say "Can we do this again instead of going to Tenerife". And one where we could spend some fun time on the slopes with our son.

I realise theres probably loads of posts like these, but I think this could be my last chance to convert her to letting us become a skiing holiday family so any help would be most appreciated.

I'm off to look at Ski Esprit and Snobizz now.

Thanks

Billy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 11-02-11 22:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
blert596, Welcome to snowHead I think this is a story as old as time i.e. there are many in your situation. Well, you either go alone (which may not be right for you / your family) or you go somewhere with alternative things to do. Other posters will make good suggestions but I'm wondering if somewhere like Innsbruck might be good for you. You have the facilities of a town, you are in the Alps and you are close to several ski areas. You'd need transport, ideally. However, it could be that your wife gets more and more enthusiastic as she improves - my wife, once a reluctant skier, now happily skis for all 6 days of a week's holiday (unless it's snowing hard or very icy etc). Your son is now old enough to learn (my youngest was 3yrs 10mnths and that was in Scotland - at 20 he now out-skis me and has his own equipment) and it's nice to see them progress over the years. If you go, don't turn it into an ordeal i.e. insisting you have to ski every minute the lifts are open - do other things, it's a holiday. And make sure she has good gloves and warm clothing - that transforms it for nervous or uninspired beginners, I think. All the best.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blert596, not long back from our second family trip to Kappl (Austria). My kids are 7 10 and 13 but have to say that I wished I'd discovered a bit earlier. Very good creche/ski kindergarten area mid mountain. Very good value too. We stayed here http://www.alpenfrieden-kappl.at/ right on the piste and was around €1k for 4 of us for the week half board - food really was excellent. Kappl is only an hour from Innsbruck too. If you're hiring, your son will get free ski hire together with free pass. http://www.kappl.com/ski-holiday-tyrol.en.htm Not much in Kappl itself but Ischgl only 10 mins away if wifey wanted to shop.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Find another beginner for her to go with. That will avoid:

1. Your getting frustrated at having to ski with her the whole time.
2. Her feeling guilty that you're having a "rubbish time" having to ski with her.
3. Massive lesson costs.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would put a vote in for Les Contamines in France, if you are confident in self booking summer holidays a week in the Alps is no different and a car would ease the juggling act of trying to cope with a part time skier.
There is an ESF ski school with a cresh at the top of the first bubble lift, I don’t have kids but from a mother I was chatting to on the intermediate coarse I did one year she was impressed as they also fed the kids lunch as well (a French style meal) this gave her and her hubby some time together on the slope before one of them had to pick up their child I think there little un was 4 as well.
The ski area is not massive but it’s unintimidating and a good snow record and enough to keep an intermediate skier interested for 5 or 6 days. Down the hill there is a Thermes at St Gervais for your wife and Chamonix, Megeve and Annecy are about an hour’s drive away for an afternoon trip out, Annecy a bit further but worth it.
I have been there twice with a non skiing partner and both times we both had a good time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
can recommend this location and this company, not a hotel, and certainly not 5* luxury, but great staff, good food and a great location.

http://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A vote for Esprit; at 4 they will offer the little one lessons (at a cost of course).

For the wifee maybe try France as they are usually only AM or PM lessons and so she can shop (or maybe get the bug properly and ski); if she does get the bug then Austria might be better as lessons are usually 4 hours (10-12 and 1 to 3) with the same instructor.

We've done 3 or 4 with Esprit in St. Anton (another one this year, Chalet Alber Mid March) and Meribel (Chalet Hotel Alber) and Obergurlge (Hotel Mhule that they do not use any more)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm not convinced that Glenshee is the place to enthuse a reluctant beginner who doesn't like cold/wet weather. Still, double or quits, maybe. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w,

pam wahat are you doing,did i not see you on another thread getting attacked for the austria/france beast snow etc.... now Glenshee trashing Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
get ready to get in your bunker Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
phillip33, I love Scotland - lived there for some years - but then I'm not a reluctant beginner who doesn't like cold and wet. wink

You're right though, I was quite wrongly accused of belittling Austrian snow record by someone who was quite unable to back that up with the slightest shred of evidence. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We used Esprit in Obergurgl last two years. 2009 we booked a pre Christmas week last minute ish and it was very good value. This season we went after Christmas and it was much pricier (but still good value in my view)

We used Esprit purely and simply for the Childcare as my Wife was new to Skiing (as were the boys, aged 3 and Cool and dealing with all the attendant issues would have had me coming back early. The Esprit Childcare staff were top notch, both years. Pleasent bonus was getting on well with the other Chalet dwellers.

As my Wife decided this year that she will hang up her downhill skis and the kids are a little older, we are now more flexible. So do not worry about your Mrs, once she sees the fun your boy has, even if she doesn't take to it, she'll understand it simply has to be done Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w,

quite right blooming austria too gooders,they,ll be getting their bikes out long before us frenchy skiers Toofy Grin hope they dont read this tread though,any room in your bunker?!!! Shocked Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Innsbruck would be perfect, gives your wife a lot of other things to do besides skiing, and it's a lovely city. If you go jsut before Christmas, the Christkindl market is excellent, loads of tasty food around too. Plenty of skiing roundabout too, with a few different resorts on the same lift pass - including the Stubai Glacier, Schlick2000 and Axamer Lizum, which all have some great terrain.

If you want more of a resort feel you could try Kitzbuehel, fairly large in itself but also an easy train to Innsbruck.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blert,

I've had mainly good experiences with Esprit, but avoid the peak holidays if possible, the staff don't have as much on their plate and the resorts will be quieter as well. I didn't enjoy their Chalet Hotels - but have enjoyed some really good company for us and the kids in their chalets. Esprit had quite a lot of deals on their website in early Jan this year. I'd suggest having a look at their chalets in Plan Peisey, Les Arcs, Paradiski. But their childcare/lessons can add lot to the cost.

I've also seen guys on here saying they had a great time in Serfaus, Austria with the kinderhotel's for the kids. We've just started booking our trips independently with the kids, cheap flights to Grenoble, hire car and hour self-drive to resort, self booked apartment and local municipal creche for the kids and ESF for our 3 year old for snow garden and lessons. No different from bashing out a quick admin order - can work out quite a bit cheaper, depending on board. Good luck.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow, thanks for all the replies. They've made me even more confused Very Happy if that was possible.

Looking forward to Glenshee next week, and hopefully there's some snow due over this weekend and some forecast for next week. Fingers crossed.

I think the approach I'm going to take is that, depending on how much she likes Glenshee, then we might try and get away for a 3-4 day break somewhere by ourselves before the season ends. (Gotta love grandparents Very Happy ) I think it will probably be more enjoyable when we go as a family if we have done it before and know what to expect. It will also be good research - especially if we go to a child friendly resort. Knowing the routine beforehand will hopefully take away the stress we normally have to endure on day one of our holidays.

I think I'm going to look for a deal that does the whole package (flights/accomodation/kit/passes) and see what they can come up with price wise. Then unleash my wife on the internet to see what she can come up with. She's very good at that sort of stuff.

As a week holiday for the 2 of us and aour 4 year old, is £2-2.5k a reasonable budget for all in for 2011. Or would I have to change my expectations a little. Going outside of the kids schoolbreaks is not a real problem.

Thanks again for the advice so far. Gotta do some digging now.
latest report
blert596,
Good luck with Glenshee, but I agree with pam w, it ain't everyones cup of tea and I would not push it there if things arent going well. Can be cold wet and windy and the tows are not the easiest for beginners to get used to.

If your wife enjoys the sun, later season options are the ones to go for. Mountain weather and temperatures are not predictable but you ae decreasing the chances of getting bitterly cold weather if you avoid december and january. Late March and early April are often mild but retain good snow particularly in resorts with North facing slopes.

Personally I would say your budget looks pretty good for a decent holiday outside the school holidays and the more expensive resorts. Don't know what kind of shopping your wife likes but most ski resorts are not great places to shop for very much except expensive ski gear, jewellry and tourist tat. Somewhere like Innsbruck may suit but I have not been. Of the places that I have Briancon is abvout the best (and has excelent skiing) though you are probably best DIYing here as most of the packages that I have seen look unappealing.
snow report
Quote:

I think it will probably be more enjoyable when we go as a family if we have done it before and know what to expect.

That's a good idea. It really is a lot to get used to and ski holidays with little kids are not for wimps! They can be very hard work - it's bad enough getting yourself on a bus with skis and poles, without having to lump the kids up as well.

There might be a direct choice to be made between "facilities" and "shopping" and ease of skiing - doorstep skiing is so much easier with littlies, who will sometimes go out full of hope and enthusiasm and be fed up, tired and cold, an hour later and want to go in to play Lego.
latest report
We all learnt to ski at the same time we were 30 and the kids were 5 and 6 . Great fun.
latest report
Quote:

We all learnt to ski at the same time we were 30 and the kids were 5 and 6

we did too, but we were all very enthusiastic, and had all (except the teeniest, who was barely 4 and spent the first week watching and playing, looked after by grandma) had lessons on a dry ski slope - an exceedingly primitive one without even a lift and where it inevitably poured with rain the entire time (Ayrshire). Given that our enthusiasm survived that, we were OK, but it was still hard work - we were all in different ski lessons, we had barely time to buy the passes, and I was dashing round dishing out passes and Mars Bars and briefing someone in the OH's group about the symptoms of his hypos. My lessons were entirely in German, which was a challenge in itself. The fact that our apartment was just a few minutes walk from the ski school meeting place saved the day.

The thought of doing any "shopping" during the week, except for essential supplies to supplement the loads we had taken with us on the plane, would have been laughable!

But coaxing a reluctant partner is a different kettle of fish, isn't it?
ski holidays
I was in La Rosiere with Esprit last week and thought the child care was fantastic. I have been skiing for 20 years, the last 7 being with children, but I have always organised childcare indepedently due to the child-free groups we have travelled with.

The difference was incredible, I haven't done so much skiing or been so relaxed for years. It started off well on the day of arrival when we collected our skis - we didn't even have to carry the children's back to the chalet as Esprit put them in buckets and took them to ski school for the children.

They collected the children (aged 7 and 4) at 8.30 each morning, took them to ski school where they had Esprit Snow Rangers (for the little ones) as well as the ski instructors. I thought it was worth paying for the all day child care so that we knew it was there, and though we did take them out a couple of afternoons, they were really happy and made loads of friends (even in term time!!) They took them from ski school to lunch and then snow club for the afternoon. Brought them back to the chalet at 5 and even sat with them while they had their tea from 5.30 to 6, while we loafed around. The snow rangers were great and I also liked the fact that there were as many boys as girls looking after the children which my son was delighted with. The food wasn't exactly haute cuisine, but it was OK (except for vile carrot cake one day which i think our chalet host must have made with salt or bicaronate of soda instead of sugar) and the wine was fine too.

We booked around Feb/March last year for early discounts, though there were good last minute deals around in January, and it cost around £3,000 for the 4 of us - this included everything i.e. flights from Southampton to Chambery (which involves a supplement), transfers, chalet board, all child care, skiing lessons, ski and boot (& helmets for kids) hire and lift passes. Not much shopping in La Rosiere, so there may be more suitable resorts for your wife, but let's face it, you can shop anywhere!
latest report
Quote:

The snow rangers were great and I also liked the fact that there were as many boys as girls looking after the children which my son was delighted with.

Yep, that sounds excellent; can be so girlie otherwise!

BUT, that amount of childcare must cost quite a lot (we could never afford it) and the OP has a fairly tight budget.
latest report
Andorra. You can have skiing and shopping in equal measures. As a rule, both are dirt cheap
snow report
I'm afraid I can't suggest anything that exactly meets all your needs, but I can sugggest two options that each meets about half of them.
First, if you want to emphasise the child care, then along with others above I'd recommend Esprit. We've tried a few of their resorts and they're very kid-centred everywhere. So I'd suggest asking your other half to take her pick from their resorts.
But if you want an idea that offers other activities for your Mrs to do, AND is an alternative to Tenerife then I do have something more original to offer. Which is that you could look at Granada in Southern Spain. I would particularly recommend it for a late season long week-end for the two of you.
This may sound mad, but Granada is only about 30 minutes drive from Sierra Nevada, and although this isn't the largest of ski-resorts, it's enough for a long week-end / relaxed week. (I think I read elsewhere on here that it's also got the largest snow depths in Europe at the moment so it should last?) My wife and I went there for a combined city break (her choice ) / Ski break (mine) at Easter a few years ago, and as far as non-skiing activities go it obviously has a whole city's woth of entertainment to offer.
It also provided us with evenings that were about as far removed from the usual apres-ski as you could get. We'd start with a relaxing glass of wine, in shorts and t shirts in the hotel balcony sunset Cool , and then go out for the Easter fiestas. And to picture Easter in Granada imagine a pack of extremely elegant Senioritas parading alongside a (benign & non-racist) group of the Klu Klux Klan on acid, all in the middle of a mardis gras parade, and you'll get something like the reality Shocked . Gluhwein it ain't!
We were there before we had children, so I have no idea how that would work out for a family, but it was the best non-skier's ski holiday we've ever been on.
latest report
Once again, thanks for all the replies. You're certainly not helping, and I mean that in a nice way Very Happy

I've run the idea of a short break (just the two of us) past her and she seems reasonably keen although not too happy about not being able to take the little feller.

I dont know why, but I've got Innsbruck into my head now, which would appear to cover most bases - or to many of them . Seems easy enough saying Innsbruck, and then finding out all the different resorts, all the different slopes, will we both be able to ski together somewhere, will I get bored on the baby slopes, will she get fed up with me wanting to try slopes that she cant do, different accomodation, different access to the slopes, distances to the lifts, nightlife, hotels or chalets. It really is a bit more difficult than a normal holiday which we usually sort in a day or two - I seem to be getting more confused with the various options as I dig deeper.

Maybe I'll open a "recommend (and organise) our first ski trip away together" thread as things have now changed.

I suppose this thread could be closed now really as I think it'll be next year before we actually go as a family, but the more info the better for others I suppose.

Thanks a lot everyone

PS. SD2010 thanks for the PM. I'll reply when/if I get some time tomorrow after swimming with the little one, then taking SWMBO shopping for some "nice" ski kit. Which will mean expensive and fashionable for her, cheapish and functional for me

rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

will I get bored on the baby slopes, will she get fed up with me wanting to try slopes that she cant do,

possibly, but the way to solve that is for her to have lessons, to give you a chance to go off and have a bit of a blast. Then you will have to resign yourself to skiing together on slopes she enjoys. No need to be bored though - there are loads of good drills you can do on easy slopes to improve you own skiing. Heres one http://www.yourskicoach.com/SkiGlossary/White_Pass_Lean.html
snow report
Quote:

will I get bored on the baby slopes, will she get fed up with me wanting to try slopes that she cant do,

possibly, but the way to solve that is for her to have lessons, to give you a chance to go off and have a bit of a blast. Then you will have to resign yourself to skiing together on slopes she enjoys. No need to be bored though - there are loads of good drills you can do on easy slopes to improve you own skiing. Heres one http://www.yourskicoach.com/SkiGlossary/White_Pass_Lean.html

Unless you are exceptionally skilled you will sometimes fall over doing that drill (I speak from experience here) and that'll be really encouraging for your OH. Laughing
snow report
Certainly get the 4 year old on skis and in lessons, and don't be surprised if by the end of the week he is out skiing you and demanding weekly trips to your local indoor slope till he can get back to mountains. Probably worth getting him some indoor lessons before the mountains so he can get the boring bits of learning out of the way. That's what I did with my 4 year old before our first trip to the mountains last Feb and by the end of of the holiday she was happily skiing reds and most annoyed her instructor wouldn't take them down the blacks as 'they looked more exciting'
snow report
We went with Esprit to crystal 2000 in Courchevel with our 4 and 1 yr old. We went between 12 and 19
dec their first week in that accomadation and that season. We had a great time. The staff were
brilliant the food good. Our 4 yr old as in lessons with 2 others both were three. I would highly recommend them and we will go with them again
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
St Moritz for the wife. Leave the infant at home, or take a nanny with you.

I think all the posters who have taken three and four year olds skiing must have very talented children. I have had a series of grandchildren with me this winter range age range from seven down to 15 months in different combinations, with and without their parents. I have to say that it has been very hard work, and I would not recommend taking a child under six skiing.

Better still leave the wife at home and go with a mate.
snow report
Have a look at Kitzbuhel. It is a good sized town with shopping and a sports centre and the option of getting the bus or train to Salzburg or Innsbruck. Good range of intermediate skiing too!

We are going back with our 2 and 4 year old next season because the town offers a good range of facilities and it's a relativelty short airport transfer. It's also really pretty. The ski schools take children from age 3 so we are hoping to get our 4 year old on the slopes, while my husband and I will take it in turns to look after our youngest in the afternoons and we will use the Crystal creche for mornings.
ski holidays
planeurge, if you view it is a family holiday first and foremost I think you can have a cracking time with children of any age ... but then I would I suppose Laughing
ski holidays
planeurge wrote:
St Moritz for the wife. Leave the infant at home, or take a nanny with you.

I think all the posters who have taken three and four year olds skiing must have very talented children. I have had a series of grandchildren with me this winter range age range from seven down to 15 months in different combinations, with and without their parents. I have to say that it has been very hard work, and I would not recommend taking a child under six skiing.

Better still leave the wife at home and go with a mate.

I only agree in so much that any holiday with children is hard work, and actually our ski holiday with Ski Esprit was the easiest holiday we have had since having children. Certainly far easier than when we went with Granny and Grandad and my sister in law, to share child care, and easier than hotel complex type ones we done in Marjorca and Lanzarote.
snow report
planeurge,

Quote:

A classic. We have been skiing 4 weeks with our two, currently 3 and 5. Not only that but we have self taught them. The eldest can ski most stuff now and the youngest ski's by herself most of the time. I am expecting us to be able to ski pretty efficiently as a group when we go again April. Whilst we've had our frustrations and the odd tantrum (more often than not from me or the wife) there have been many magical moments and it's been great fun. One such moment was when 3yo skied turning nicely past a ski school group, singing as she went, as she likes to do on occasion. The instructor stopped and stared, as did the group. I think they were just trying to figure out how a toddler could be so happy and comfortable skiing by herself. It does require some organisation and patience but then they are my kids and I love them so it's worth it.
snow conditions
We have been taking our boy with us skiing since he was 9 months old, and have used both Esprit and Crystal.
I would have to give a big thumbs up to both
A lot of people will go on about how they have taught the kids themselves, and how its the kids holidays as well and couldnt leave them in childcare.
However - how many of these will happily go away without the kids skiing !

anyhow suggestions are
1) look for a place with the childcare in the accomodation, as this is really easy for drop off pick up
2) look for the full day care even if you dont use it at least its their - there will be nothing worse that getting too far away to get back in time for collection of your child
3) pyjama clubs are a great option - again you dont have to use it - but then your kids may decide otherwise - lets see - go and play with all the other kids, run riot, etc, or eat dinner in complete silence with mummy and daddy

4) look for places that have lots of blue runs - untill both your kids & YOU are confident in going down them as a group.

suggestions i have ( all from having been there) - and in no particular order

Peisey Vallandry - small friendly chalets - the lifts are easy to get to and planty of skiing - bit sttep for walking around ( the buckets are fun)
claviere very small - go across the border to montgenevre for shopping , with fance and milky way there is lots of skiing - underrated resort
la rosiere- great skiing area small amount of shopping
flaine - small shopping , some other things ( skating etc) to do - great ski area
scheffau - a few things to do - the land alpin is well run, and has a pool sauna etc

One for the hit list ( trying to get a good deal to go here)
les deux domaines ( with esprit) - big hotel - large pool, sauna, etc - so large often found at very good prices in the special offers on esprit looks excellent for non skiers.

one thing we have found is that on more than one day you will find that you kids dont want to ski all day - which is where the availability of all day childcare comes into its own.
snow report
gazza2, a good run down of things to think about. I would add that for many people with young kids trying to find somewhere with a short transfer time can make a huge difference too. Portes du Soleil resorts and Grand Massif fit the bill well.
latest report
ctskifam wrote:
gazza2, a good run down of things to think about. I would add that for many people with young kids trying to find somewhere with a short transfer time can make a huge difference too. Portes du Soleil resorts and Grand Massif fit the bill well.

Absolutely that was top of our list of priorities! It is fine if yours are so young they are in nappies, if not it is essential.
snow report
gazza2,

Quote:
A lot of people will go on about how they have taught the kids themselves

TBH we seem to be in a minority. Most people seem to go down childcare and ski school route. Which I think is the best and most sensible route for most people. I only mentioned it in the general context that going skiing with small children was not a nightmare, in whatever form that takes.

Quote:

and how its the kids holidays as well and couldnt leave them in childcare.

It's not that we couldn't leave them in childcare. We use a childminder at home. But we'd rather not if possible. For a variety of reasons. One of which is that we don't see the kids so much when we are working and so like to spend the time with them. We cheated the first time we went and took the grandparents Very Happy

Quote:
However - how many of these will happily go away without the kids skiing !

I became a dad quite late so had already skied a lot without the kids and indeed I did a trip two years ago without kids or wife. But I do like skiing with the kids. We've also skied with friends, with the kids. And indeed with their kids! I'll ski with anybody me!
ski holidays
Quote:

the youngest ski's by herself most of the time

[at three years old.] As I said, talented children.
snow conditions
planeurge,

Quote:
As I said, talented children.

Well obviously, she's mine Toofy Grin

But seriously, it is fortunate that both me and the wife are experienced skiers and we enjoy teaching them. We said at the start that we would keep it fun and not military. By the same token we know they will take the easy option if allowed to, so we box clever and always have a little chocolate at hand.

But back on topic the message to the opening poster was really to get the little un out there and involved. It isn't always easy but very rewarding.
ski holidays
Layne, hats off to you....our 3 year old has done just under 2 weeks. We tend to ski morning and then play/ski with her on baby slopes in afternoon as also don't get to spend as much time with them during the rest of year as would like due to work.

Planeurge ref what said earlier, "I have had a series of grandchildren with me this winter range age range from seven down to 15 months in different combinations, with and without their parents. I have to say that it has been very hard work, and I would not recommend taking a child under six skiing."

I thought taking them at 3 years old was ambitious, but 15 months............................ Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy