Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yakkety-Yak

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for that extra thrill? You could always try extreme yak skiing.... Shocked
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shades of that lovely old Gerard Hoffnung monologue about the builder with the barrel of bricks. If you're tied on what happens when you get to the pulley???????? And I've no personal experience of Yaks but I don't think they weigh 2 tons. Bit of leg pulling going on....
Quote:
If you spike the nuts with pain au chocolat from the bakery at the northern end of town (where you'd also find Pete), you'll transform the yaks into slobbering, compliant puppies.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
The male wild yak can weigh up to 1000 kg (2200 lb); females are 1/3 that size. Its shoulder height can reach over 2 m (6.5').
The domesticated variety are slightly smaller apparently - big was obviously not beautiful.

Anybody remember Boots Randolph and Yakety Sax ???
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hmmmmm. Sounds like fun!
Julia snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This topic has been heavily edited to remove references to a PM sent from one snowHead to another. You may find that some of your posts have dissappeared, and for this I apologise.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer, fine by me.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No need to apologise to me, Kramer, and I'm grateful for your correct resolution of the difficulty. I apologise to fellow snowHeads for any upset caused. The reproduction of PMs referred to by Kramer was my fault, and in retrospect was an error. I apologise to the snowHead concerned.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 8-07-05 7:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kuwait_ian, I always favoured the Austrian hotelier myself: "a French widow in every bedroom", "here you will be well fed up" and so on.. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I still don't care.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You may not care, but you're obviously curious.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, people often say that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is definitely turning into a "Yakkety Yak" thread! wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr I was bitterly disappointed this year when we skied Megeve as he was hoping to see the Bison. Has anyone here ever seen them?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have got a yak wool jumper some where in the house - purchsed from Gulmarg about 20 years ago. If I remember correctly it was very warm but the wool fibres also contained things that the yak had eaten, the yak had slept in and so it was VERY smelly. Could be a collectors item by now! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bev bish, Sounds a bit like my Afghan goatskin jacket - very late 60's.
snow conditions
easiski, hasn't it escaped yet? My one walked out of the door under its own steam back in the mid-70s...
snow conditions
PG, I don't know what happened to it - I think my mum secretly threw it away as it was so smelly! Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno wrote:
Mr I was bitterly disappointed this year when we skied Megeve as he was hoping to see the Bison. Has anyone here ever seen them?

Puzzled I'm a Megève regular, and I've never heard of, let alone seen (or eaten, AFAIA) bison. Chamois, marmotte, but no bison!
ski holidays
I've not heard of it round Megève but there's a farm near Geneva airport that has bison and a few other places in Switzelrand apparently.
snow report
laundryman, There were some photos doing the rounds. Off piste skiers got caught out, as the Danger de Mort signs are on the outside of the gate of the field they were crossing on skis Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
laundryman, I thought that Mr I was having me on at first, until I saw it for myself in the local magazine complete with photo's. So . . . Puzzled
snow report
snowbunny, off piste or ski de fond? Might have to check if my off-piste cover includes bison attack!

IncogSkiSno, you learn something new every day on snowHeads !
snow conditions
snowbunny, Thanks for confirming that one - I thought i was going mad ! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
laundryman, I believe that they had descended from the top, regular skis. I will go and see if I can find the pics, I think they were in a UK skiing magazine for last year. Bet good money that your insurers would wriggle out of that claim.IncogSkiSno, could be a forum wide hallucination I suppose mooooo wink
snow report
No, sorry can't find the mag, must have tidied it. One thing that I do remember is that one of the skiers had to get over a 5 bar gate in a hurry-as in without taking off their skis Laughing
latest report
I found this on the net:

Quote:
The first is Dominique Méridol (33-6-09-90-30-29), belonging to the reclusive "cowboy chef" who lives with his 19 American bison at Domaine de la Sasse on Mount Joly, a 20-minute hike from Megève. Make reservations for one of Méridol's all-bison lunches and feast on meat prepared every which way, including saucisson, shaved tongue, steak, carpaccio, and tartare.

Another article talked of the place being a 20 min hike from the end of the road at Côte 2000 and described it as on Mt Joly. All a bit confusing. Mt Joly is a damned site more than a 20 min hike from the village (and the article I quoted seemed to be for non-sporty Americans!). 20 mins hike from Côte 2000 towards Mt Joly is just about conceivable in summer, but no way in winter. On the other hand, it may well be reachable skiing one of the far gullies off Mt Joly - not for the faint hearted. I'm 99% sure it's not a piste-side restaurant, and can only imagine that it's only open in summer. Any ideas ise or anyone?
latest report
I've skied off Mt Joly and dropped into the valley under it towards Cote 2000, it's gently downhill and you can skate out down a road on a good day then walk out towards the XC area and pick up a bus. There's a few restaurants around the area there, maybe it's one of them? The restaurants up there look a bit rich for me really Very Happy
ski holidays
More in keeping with this thread, there's actually a guy somewhere in the Savoie that has a herd(?) of yak, and is organising yak trekking during the summer months. Saw an article recently, I'll dig it out!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, are they really yak? I understood that yak can't function below about 3000 m. In Tibet and Nepal various crosses between yak and domestic cattle, such as the dzho(?), are used to work at lower altitudes. They still look big and hairy and yakkish.
snow report
richmond, what an excellent Scrabble word.
ski holidays
I'll go dig out the article. It'll be a refreshing change from debating the merits of helping the British to win something one day. Think I'll change the title of "A Good Cause" to "Yakkety-Yak" as well. wink
ski holidays
Apparently it's not in the Savoie, it's in the Zermatt Valley on the slopes above Embd... he has a website, but it's only in German at the moment.

http://www.yaks.ch

Yak City is at 1650m, with treks up to 2500m

(I'm no expert, they look like Yaks to me, but perhaps they're only "yakkish")...
latest report
That doesn't surprise me, I've seen bison here and emu and ostrich is popular, not really sure why, it's a conservative country otherwise.
ski holidays
ise, Ostrich is delicious, and apparently has the lowest fat, calories and cholesterol of any meat. I've eaten it quite a few times.
snow conditions
RachelQ, I like ostrich too.
snow conditions
RachelQ, Yup, tasty, Tescos used to sell it along with kangaroo steaks.
latest report
Bison is bred and farmed in some parts of Poland as an alternative to cow.

Ostrich, emu and croc are good, but char and zander are better Smile
ski holidays
Those Aussies will eat anything on two legs.
latest report
RachelQ, yes, they serve it in the restaurant near work, not bad I guess.

snowbunny, I'd forgotton Kangaroo, they do that as well.
snow conditions
You can't beat a good horse steak wink (hides)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy