Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Night skiing

Poster: A snowHead
How can I never had had this *GENIUS* idea?

Many of us who have MTBs ride year-round. In winter, it goes dark early, so we use high powered lights to enable to us to get out midweek. NIght riding is great fun, you can do your normal routes and it feels like a completely new experience - you are going at half the speed and feel as though you're going twice as fast, hidden dangers lurk just outside the field of vision afforded by your light - in short, it's fabulous fun, And of course, it makes the post-ride beverages all the more well-deserved.

So how, despite skiing for 15 years and biking for 12, can I never have considered using my MTB helmet lights to go night skiing? See this video of guys using Hope's 4 LED helmet lights (made in Barnoldswick) to ski La Grave at night...

http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG224
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nbt, Well unless you are skiing off piste and after things officially close, I thought most night skiing was supplied with lights so maybe that's why its never occurred to you to need anything?

I've only ever done it once, but had a fabulous evening on untouched 6" of freshies over bashed piste night skiing once. It was all illuminated just enough to do it. Fantastic experience that I would repeat if ever in the same situation.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some Austrians here go night ski touring, esp when it's full moon. On the way up they wear a small headlamp and on the way down they use LED's. Dedicated MTB lights tend to be expensive but if you already have them then all the better. A couple of P7 LED's can be had for around 100 Euro's.

http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/mountain_bike_lights_review_led.html

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 9-02-11 13:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:
nbt, Well unless you are skiing off piste and after things officially close, I thought most night skiing was supplied with lights so maybe that's why its never occurred to you to need anything?

Not all resorts have night skiing and if they do not all pistes are lit / open.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unless on an official open piste, skiing at night will invalidate your holidaymakers ski insurance as when the lifts stop the ski area is considered out of bounds.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ah Hope the Apple co on mounting biking..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You used to be able to do the Vallee Blanche at night in a full moon - dunno if you still can though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Parlor and i were treated to some unintenional night skiing in the Blackcomb backcountry earlier this year. 2 headtorches between 3 was possibly one too few! other than that, it was surprisingly fun. moguls once we got back inbounds were an interesting challenge!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, let's accept that is the case. So, if you need an ambulance, you will have to pay out of your own pocket. If you have to go to hospital you will be covered by your EHIC, subject to any surcharge. If you are killed, your estate might have to pay for the repatriation of your body. You are very unlikely to crash into another skier who is not a participant in what you are doing. So, not much third party risk. Is there anything else? Some other implication?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
LDA does a Soiree Pleine Lune monthly. Drinks and meal at the glacier restaurant followed by a ski back down to resort (1600m vertical) for 40 euros.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's against the local byelaws to ski on closed pistes at night here - and of course there are the dameuses. But presumably there'd be nothing to stop you skiing off-piste. If you got hurt so bad you couldn't walk your mates would presumably have to carry you down the mountain on their cross-bars. wink

I think night-touring in the full moon sounds terrific. Going up and down one flood-lit piste? No thanks. Very chilly and I'd rather be in having a good dinner.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, The Austrian wire cables across the runs for repair work may pose a danger Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, Ah.............chilly yes, and that's why I'd never done it before, but it was an opportunity to ski the best lightest, driest powder snow I've ever skied in and lights just made it kind of magical - I don't care if I never do it again, but under those conditions it was a fabulous couple of hours Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We did an overambitious day tour from Jackson Hole and ended up skiing back through the side country in the dark. We only had 2 head torches between 6 but luckily there was a moon out.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We went night skiing in La Clusaz (on lit up pistes), but soon swapped our skis for the local-style sledges that were available free to hire and seemed to be the thing-to-do. These weren't any ordinary sledges - for they only had one runner. You kept your balance by sitting on the small seat and spreading your legs out wide in front of you; holding, preferable one handed, onto the stick-handle at the front. I am a pretty decent skier, but these things scared the life out of me.

The locals on the other hand sped down the hill at speeds faster than many can ski, with just enough steering ability to avoid you as they screamed past. Amazing balance. The sledges though really cut up the snow, making it almost impossible to ski.

Has anyone else tried riding these things? Are they common anywhere else in France?

Can't find any information about them online, closest thing I could find is a picture of this antique single-runner sledge:
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/oh/iteml/RL-696#pic1
snow conditions
Alpe d'Huez also do a torch or moonlit (obviously depending on the time of the month) run of the Sarenne twice a month.
ski holidays
We had a fabulous moonlit skiing experience whilst at Hochzillertal in Austria over Christmas. With the short days we just got the last lift up and waited with a hot chocolate until dark and then skiied down the Eberharter run back to the valley floor in the moonlight. We were joined by a few late lift operators which helped to make us feel safe. It was the hghlight of the trip.
snow conditions
We did the Torchlit descent in Les Arc last week from the Arpette restaurant down the blue Arpette piste, it was absolute carnage as a large proportion of the Bath Uni trip was on it, but very, very good fun.

If you're ever in Les Arc then the sunset viewed from the Arpette restaurant terrace is fantastic.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy