Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

English ski instructors robbing French jobs?

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1354810/After-Polish-plumber-English-ski-instructor-Extraordinary-attack-ex-pats-robbing-French-people-French-jobs.html

OK I know - it's the Mail.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting article. Bit fictional I think. I heard today that the French authorities were keen to employ more BASI instructors and said they were looking for as many as 250 ISIA-qualified instructors who had passed their Test Technique to work for ESF schools around the country. The fact that there are less than 150 BASI ISIA qualified instructors might pose a problem, of course.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, do you mean BASI L3 ISIAs or L4 ISTDs with the ISIA card (or is it stamp, I can never remember)?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
roga, L3 with Test Technique, presumably to work as a stagiere. L3 gives you ISIA Stamp, L4 gives you ISIA Card.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been there, done that. When I worked in France in the early 1990s there was the same outcry. Non French instructors were being arrested on the slopes.

There was very poor snow cover back then too & part of teh problem was that the French were staying away so ESF wasn't getting any business but the British tour operators were flying planeloads of customers out every week & not sharing any of that business with the local skischools.

I wonder if there's a bit of deja vu going on?

I wonder if there's a bit of deja vu going on?

CW Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Since when did facts need to be incorporated into a Mail story?

Surprised that it printed this though :-
Quote:
Mr Parker, who is now a qualified instructor in France, said he had passed the tests easily in the UK, but had to sit them over and over again across the Channel.
'I took the technical test more than twenty times before passing, while in England I had the highest certificate,' said Mr Parker.

Obvious conclusion - Brit tests are too easy and Brit Instructors not as good ... more a case of British Plumbers going to Poland wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
roga, L3 with Test Technique, presumably to work as a stagiere. L3 gives you ISIA Stamp, L4 gives you ISIA Card.

Ah thanks for clarifying that, will have to try and remember which way round it goes Embarassed

I presume when you say there are only 150 of them you mean 150 qualified since the ISIA stamp came in because there must surely be way more than 150 BASI L3s and old money Grade 2s?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Around 70 per cent of ski instructors workin gin the Trois Vallees region are British

Tells you all you need to know about the Mail's "facts" (and spell checking, that typo is on their site)

This is a very interesting read about the Mail's tactics

http://nosleeptilbrooklands.blogspot.com/2011/01/true-story-of-daily-mail-lies-guest.html?spref=fb
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
roga wrote:
I presume when you say there are only 150 of them you mean 150 qualified since the ISIA stamp came in because there must surely be way more than 150 BASI L3s and old money Grade 2s?
I think the numbers are posted in a thread on snowHeads somewhere, perhaps by Beanie1? As far as I remember it is the number of people who have passed all of the L3/ISIA units, who are up to date and currently members of BASI (not all the old Grade 2s will be eligible for L3/ISIA status because, AIUI, they need to do mountain safety and something else (2nd discipline?).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agenterre wrote:
Since when did facts need to be incorporated into a Mail story?

Surprised that it printed this though :-
Quote:
Mr Parker, who is now a qualified instructor in France, said he had passed the tests easily in the UK, but had to sit them over and over again across the Channel.
'I took the technical test more than twenty times before passing, while in England I had the highest certificate,' said Mr Parker.

Obvious conclusion - Brit tests are too easy and Brit Instructors not as good ... more a case of British Plumbers going to Poland wink

Hmmm, but as you say this is Daily Mail reporting - I'll bet they've wildly quoted out of context and find it hard to believe that if the instructor quoted was already an ISTD he found it hard to pass whatever test he's supposedly referring to (there isn't one for ISTDs is there?). More like he was in reality saying that to get his ISTD he had to get his speed test and tried that 20 times before passing!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Think iSIA stamp is nearer 500?

Welcome to th EU France and the freedom of labour movement between EU members!

Viva la France!

PSG
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
roga wrote:
I think the numbers are posted in a thread on snowHeads somewhere, perhaps by Beanie1? As far as I remember it is the number of people who have passed all of the L3/ISIA units, who are up to date and currently members of BASI (not all the old Grade 2s will be eligible for L3/ISIA status because, AIUI, they need to do mountain safety and something else (2nd discipline?).

Yeah I think that's right, there are a few old Grade 2s working at Cairngorm who have mentioned to me they need to do some extra units to get the full ISIA, I hadn't actually realised that before I was told by them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
English ski instructors! It's the Scottish and Welsh ones you want to watch with all their strange customs!

PSG
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gilleski wrote:
Think iSIA stamp is nearer 500?
That includes those with ISTD according to Beanie1. Currently 145 L3/ISIA members.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gilleski wrote:
English ski instructors! It's the Scottish and Welsh ones you want to watch with all their strange customs!

Laughing
snow report
roga wrote:
Yeah I think that's right, there are a few old Grade 2s working at Cairngorm who have mentioned to me they need to do some extra units to get the full ISIA, I hadn't actually realised that before I was told by them.

Seems to be quite a long list that Grade 2s need to do:
Beanie1 wrote:
Current grade 2s need to do second discipline, common theory, mountain safety, second language, and coaching and then they get their L3 with ISIA stamp
snow conditions
gilleski wrote:

PSG

See you Jimmie ... Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
We are introducing some competence tests at The Snow Centre using the French model.

Instructors will need to be fluent in the local dialect ( a cross between estuary English and cockney )

They will need to demonstrate the ability to hold on to the rope lift for at least 5 hours (strength and stamina test)

They will need to be expert mogul skiers, especially if they work the late shift.

They must prove that at least one great grandparent had a birth link to Hertfordshire.

And finally they must support Watford FC ( just like Elton John) Luton supporters need not apply!

Men from the boys!

PSG
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
roga wrote:

Seems to be quite a long list that Grade 2s need to do:
Beanie1 wrote:
Current grade 2s need to do second discipline, common theory, mountain safety, second language, and coaching and then they get their L3 with ISIA stamp

That'll be why they were so grumpy sounding when they told me Wink
snow conditions
Daily Mail wrote:
and even then they have to master French before being allowed to work in France....

I find that hard to argue with.
latest report
Here is the article in Liberation

http://www.liberation.fr/societe/01012318646-europe-apres-le-plombier-polonais-le-moniteur-de-ski-anglais
snow report
gilleski wrote:
We are introducing some competence tests at The Snow Centre using the French model.

Instructors will need to be fluent in the local dialect ( a cross between estuary English and cockney )

They will need to demonstrate the ability to hold on to the rope lift for at least 5 hours (strength and stamina test)

They will need to be expert mogul skiers, especially if they work the late shift.

They must prove that at least one great grandparent had a birth link to Hertfordshire.

And finally they must support Watford FC ( just like Elton John) Luton supporters need not apply!

Men from the boys!

PSG

Are you sure that'll be enough to stem the tide of French instructors wanting to work at The Snow Centre? Wink
ski holidays
Should keep a few out......at least!
snow report
Just a couple of points:-

The ESF is not the official government ski school in France. It is a private business like any other and operates as a franchise. There may well be unfair practices in many resorts where the ESF gets preferential treatment from lift companies, the tourist board and local council as the ESF has often been installed for a long time, since the 1930s in some areas and has deep family ties. It is often ESF instructors who turn out to help clean the resort, do repairs or other chores out of season so they may feel they are entitled to some perks. The Liberation article is clear on the ESF status.

The Libé article says la Tania has 70% English speaking skiers. The Daily Mail mistranslates this as "La Tania, in the Trois Vallees - an area of the Alps where some 70 per cent of British skiers to France head". As the post above says "enough said!"
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
It is often ESF instructors who turn out to help clean the resort, do repairs or other chores out of season so they may feel they are entitled to some perks.
I think other instructors, including Brits, give some time to the resorts for various jobs during the winter, in return for a free lift pass.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
I think other instructors, including Brits, give some time to the resorts for various jobs during the winter, in return for a free lift pass.

Yes that's the case in Val d'Isere for example. My point was just that the ESF is a major force in some ski resorts for a variety of reasons but remains a private company and so should not get preferential treatment.
snow conditions
gilleski wrote:

Men from the boys!

PSG

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Looks like I need to update my recruitment checklist for Welwyn!
ski holidays
If the customers want easy to understand instructors its natural for the jobs to go to brits

seems reasonable to me
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm more worried about the standard of French journalism, I first heard this story in 1988, and even then it was a few years old.

Come on guys, keep up, news is only news if it's, err, "new".
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
Daily Mail wrote:
and even then they have to master French before being allowed to work in France....

Presumably you'd also find it hard to argue with a requirement that anyone working in Wales can speak Welsh? Or Gaelic to work in the Hebrides? What if fluency in French isn't essential for the role in question - perhaps because the customers would all prefer to converse in English? It sounds like discrimination to me.
ski holidays
Oh dear, the Daily Mail!

As said above the ESF are very keen to employ British instructors and have said they would like to employ 250 (one in each school) who are qualified to teach in France. However there aren't enough! Definitely not overrun by British instructors...
ski holidays
Jonny Jones wrote:
Presumably you'd also find it hard to argue with a requirement that anyone working in Wales can speak Welsh? Or Gaelic to work in the Hebrides? What if fluency in French isn't essential for the role in question - perhaps because the customers would all prefer to converse in English? It sounds like discrimination to me.

All ISIA qualified instructors (wherever they qualify) are required to do a language module, nothing too onerous just basic phrases and basic technical words in a language of choice - one option being French and I'd guess elsewhere in Europe English would be a popular one. No discrimination there although I guess you'd have a better chance of employment if you do speak the language of the country you wish to work in reasonably well.
beanie1 wrote:
Oh dear, the Daily Mail!

Yup and they can't even translate the article they're cribbing properly rolling eyes
Quote:
As said above the ESF are very keen to employ British instructors and have said they would like to employ 250 (one in each school) who are qualified to teach in France. However there aren't enough! Definitely not overrun by British instructors...

Precisely!
latest report
Maybe a bit off topic... if I was an ISIA ---- i.e. have an internationally recognised qualification... why would I take a test to get 'Trainee' status - and wages ! - in France ?
ski holidays
Jonny Jones wrote:
achilles wrote:
Daily Mail wrote:

When I am being instructed in France, it is discrimination I want applied. If there were an accident, I would expect the instructor to be able to speak fluently in the local language to the pisteurs and the emergency services. No problem on this one with easiski.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
When I am being instructed in France, it is discrimination I want applied. If there were an accident, I would expect the instructor to be able to speak fluently in the local language to the pisteurs and the emergency services. No problem on this one with easiski.

So on that basis anybody skiing abroad should be able to speak fluently in the local language lest they are involved in an accident when not in a ski lesson? Otherwise foreigners should only be allowed on the slopes with a tutor/guide?

Perhaps you shouldn't even be allowed into a country unless you speak the lingo fluently?
latest report
James the Last, if you may have to be liaising with local emergency services as part of your job, yes. Moreover if you are going to network with other professionals - discussing latest techniques, local risks and so forth, it does seem a good idea. I certainly would not want to be with an instructor who could not deal with the locals in their language. Heck, I expect the TO resort rep to be able to do that - let alone a ski instructor.
latest report
There's no requirement for foreign instructors to 'master' French - don't think I know any who could be described as fluent and I can only think of two offhand whose grasp of the language is as good as/better than mine.

This is the Daily Mail, everyone, the piece is largely a pile of badly researched and crudely-slanted balderdash. As ever.
snow report
Lizzard, IIRC your ran a French supermarket checkout - that's fluent enough for me. As for 'foreign' instructors, easiski sounds fluent in French both in technical an matters and everyday conversation. If the majority of English instructors are not fluent in French though, that seems a good case for skiing with a French English-speaking instructor.
snow report
It's almost as if I'd never said:
Quote:
All ISIA qualified instructors (wherever they qualify) are required to do a language module, nothing too onerous just basic phrases and basic technical words in a language of choice - one option being French and I'd guess elsewhere in Europe English would be a popular one. No discrimination there although I guess you'd have a better chance of employment if you do speak the language of the country you wish to work in reasonably well.
rolling eyes
ski holidays
ski wrote:
Maybe a bit off topic... if I was an ISIA ---- i.e. have an internationally recognised qualification... why would I take a test to get 'Trainee' status - and wages ! - in France ?

If the wages were better than you could get elsewhere it'd be worth it ... not sure they are though for an ISIA?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy