Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone planning to be in/around Bovec/Sella Nevea any time between now & April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I am spending the rest of the season until the end of April in the Julian Alps, based in Bovec, Slovenia, linked to the Kanin / Sella Nevea resort. Would be great to hook up with people if you're out here at all during this time. Have car, so will travel to nearby resorts, and can lift share if you're based here but carless.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How are the snow conditions there? We spent a week there this time last year...bloody brilliant for fourth time skiers as long as you're not looking for Three-Valleys-esque two million km of pistes. And two Euros for a large beer, lovely friendly people, uncrowded slopes, fresh snow up top most days.

I'm a fan and might be back there in late-March or early-April.

Best wishes and enjoy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Conditions are pretty good here at the moment, and we have some snow forecast for middle of next week so I hear. Snow at the top of Kanin is great, not icy at all despite the sunshine we've been having, and we were in Tarvisio on Wednesday and had pretty much the whole resort to ourselves, which was awesome! Still have a couple of Austrian resorts to try on my lift pass too Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There was one day while we were there last year when the Kanin gondola was closed due to high wind. So our instructor/guide, Dejan, together with Dragan from Joffitours/Bovec Ski Rental, drove us to Tarvisio where we had an excellent day's skiing. You might not get such attentive personal service in more fashionable places.

Didn't get to Austria though...maybe next time. If the snow's still good early April, may just hitch an easyjet ride to Ljubljana.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Forgot to mention I'm also a qualified snowboard instructor - BASI level 1 (ie. new to snowboarding) , so if anyone fancies trying out the dark side, let me know wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wondered if I might tap into your collective knowledge of Bovec. We've booked flights for January 2012 and I'm looking for (low budget self catering) accommodation in Bovec that is near to the main ski lift. I can't find a map anywhere which shows where the main ski lift up the mountain is - if you know your way around the resort so can tell me where the best place to stay is, please let me know.

Also, can anyone recommend a ski guide for a bit of off-piste? Will need to be a patient person because I'm still learning....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fatmanoffpiste wrote:
Wondered if I might tap into your collective knowledge of Bovec. We've booked flights for January 2012 and I'm looking for (low budget self catering) accommodation in Bovec that is near to the main ski lift. I can't find a map anywhere which shows where the main ski lift up the mountain is - if you know your way around the resort so can tell me where the best place to stay is, please let me know.

Also, can anyone recommend a ski guide for a bit of off-piste? Will need to be a patient person because I'm still learning....

The town of Bovec is quite a long walk from the Gondola, so if you're renting a car I'd recommend driving (there's free parking), if not take the free bus.

In terms of accommodation, there's loads out there, but depending on whether or not you're driving it might be a good idea to make sure it's on the ski bus route. Kaninska Vas is at the start of the bus route, and has many privately owned as well as company operated apartments for rent. How many of you are there?

When it comes to an off-piste guide, I believe that Outdoor Freaks are the best. If you're after a ski school Soca Rafting are the best (imo). Both of which have offices close to the town centre - Outdoor Freaks are accross the road from the tourist office, Soca Rafting are up the hill on the road that goes to Kaninska Vas.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I visited Slovenia in the summer a few years ago and thought it was an absolute delight. I now have the opportunity to ski Bovec in January 2013 and just wanted to get a heads up about the terrain.

I am not bothered about the piste, what I'm interested in is big back country. I can see that the mountain isn't that high but how much vertical drop can you get, what kind of snow might you expect, ie big damp flakes from the sea or dry powdery? Can the mountain be subject to a lot of wind, I have read that but is that just one persons view. Does the Slovenian side of the mountain remain in shade in the aftenoon? Do you really need a guide to avoid certain death off piste or just a just a day with one to get the best out of the visit?

Is there much hiking to be done to get back to the lift stations are there buses linking areas? Is the off piste best on the Slovenian side or the Italian side, does the lift pass cover the whole mountain, how much is it?

If anyone has a good insight I would love to hear from you.

Cheers

Mike Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy