Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler 2011/12 season anyone?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to if there is anyone out there planning on doing a season in Whistler next winter?

It's been a dream of mine for years and I'm finally going to take the plunge. After the winter season I am going to Banff for the summer.

I will be going alone though which is a bit scary so I wanted to start chatting to others about their plans.. I am from Australia and looking forward to meeting people from all over.

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brookebowrey wrote:

I will be going alone though which is a bit scary so I wanted to start chatting to others about their plans.. I am from Australia and looking forward to meeting people from all over Australia.

Cheers!

Fixed it for you. Whistler & Banff are like Sydney in the snow so I wouldn't worry about going alone - meeting Canadians may prove more of a challenge.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sure Whistler has plenty of Australians, but also plenty of Brits, various Euro countries are quite well represented (especially Scandinavian) plus lots of Japanese. WB does a hiring fair in South Africa nowdays too. If you come to Whistler you will have plenty of fellow Aussies to party with, but you will also meet lots of other nationalities and create friends from all over the world for life. Lots of Canadians too, as many WB supervisory roles and local businesses are owned and run by non-seasonal staff (who would've thought that), the only nationality you won't meet many of (employee wise anyway) is Americans .

Otherwise you can do a season where fatbob likes to advertise, and not have so many Aussies around - so you don't get the fun of Australia day celebrations, the fun rivalry of Cricket/Rugby test with the poms, pubs where you can watch the AFL and other sporting events from back home etc...... plus you get to ski less terrain and live in a 'working' town rather than a 'party' town.

I am an Australian who came to Whistler 8 years ago, and have no plans on leaving. I highly recommend it, you will have a great time.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok great. I've heard some Aussie behaviour over there can be a little cringeworthy so I don't really want to be part of that crowd lol

I chose whistler more based On the fact you can't get bored of the terrain and the skiing, your work and nightlife is right at your doorstep, so convenient to get out there and enjoy the scenery.

What do you do for work there?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was in Whistler for Australia Day this year... respect to all those people skiing and boarding in nothing but shorts and an Aussie flag.

My brother in law's there at the moment. He went on his own in December; by the time we got there in late January, had met loads of people and seemed rarely to be short of boarding buddies.

I'm also considering taking a sabbatical from work and spending the first three months of 2012 out there. I'd also be on my own - unfortunately my wife is in a relatively new job and not able (or willing) to take that much time off. If I went she'd come out and visit me, probably in two lots of ten days.

One stumbling block for me is accommodation. I'm a long way past sharing rooms; could probably put up with my own room in a shared house at a push but am looking into the possibility of renting an apartment with some like-minded (and aged) fellow enthusiasts.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ajrduff, Depends on your bugdet but I could probably help!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Brookebowrey wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to if there is anyone out there planning on doing a season in Whistler next winter?

It's been a dream of mine for years and I'm finally going to take the plunge. After the winter season I am going to Banff for the summer.

I will be going alone though which is a bit scary so I wanted to start chatting to others about their plans.. I am from Australia and looking forward to meeting people from all over.

Cheers!

hey! iv been looking for more posts like this Smile my friend and i are heading over in late october, we are hoping to get a job in whistler somewhere, we're 2 girls from adelaide Very Happy

Also we need some info from anyone else who knows..

when are the job fairs usually held... when should we make sure we are over there? any certain dates?... other than a work visa... what else should we make sure we have? ideas for cheap accomodation etc would also help Cheers!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am coming over 6th April for 10 days, where are the best places to eat and drink without breaking the bank?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
leedsunited, Splitz Grill for the Saltspring Island Lamburger, apres always used to like Crystal Lounge with pitcher deals and cheap wings but Longhorn probably most lively apres.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Accommodation is getting easier and cheaper to find the last few years (except for the Olympics) - best bet it to keep an eye on the 'Pique' and 'Whistler Question' classifieds. Or in you work for WB - stay in the staff housing (ski in/ski out)

For jobs, there is generally job fairs in October - keep your eyes on this page for info
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment/jobs/index.htm

Whistler Blackcomb also holds a job fair/s in Australia - you should try and get to one and secure a job (or at least learn more info about the jobs from people who work them - WB sends real staff to do the interviews)
some info about that is here - linked from previous link
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob wrote:
leedsunited, Splitz Grill for the Saltspring Island Lamburger, apres always used to like Crystal Lounge with pitcher deals and cheap wings but Longhorn probably most lively apres.

Fatbob = Many thanks i will check them out
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
leedsunited, Cheapest place to eat we have found is the Old Spaghetti Factory which is in the village. There may be better further away from the centre but this place has some great deals for $13 each. Off there tomorrow yippee.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wbsr wrote:
Accommodation is getting easier and cheaper to find the last few years (except for the Olympics) - best bet it to keep an eye on the 'Pique' and 'Whistler Question' classifieds. Or in you work for WB - stay in the staff housing (ski in/ski out)

For jobs, there is generally job fairs in October - keep your eyes on this page for info

Whistler Blackcomb also holds a job fair/s in Australia - you should try and get to one and secure a job (or at least learn more info about the jobs from people who work them - WB sends real staff to do the interviews)
some info about that is here - linked from previous link

Thanks so much.. im sure we will have lots more questions that need answers.. iv got these in my favs so il keep an eye out Very Happy

Whats the best jobs to apply for ?? Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pocket_rocket86, the one that suits your requirements! Decide what is important to you (regular hours/ wage vs lots of mountain time + evening work) then research and start planning! Good luck.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
leedsunited, Unless you want to be one of those 'Whistler is so expensive' people - stay clear of the Longhorn - classic tourist priced place.

Crystal is cheap, I like a place called the Cinnamon Bar and Grill (located in the Hilton hotel), 'Brandys' at the Keg is a great place to drink with appies - a little hard to get a seat at times (not very big)
Cheap dinner - try Pasta Lupinos near 7-11 . Not big servings, but good food and cheap. There are a number of decent Japanese places too.
latest report
Jake43 wrote:
leedsunited, Cheapest place to eat we have found is the Old Spaghetti Factory which is in the village. There may be better further away from the centre but this place has some great deals for $13 each. Off there tomorrow yippee.

Jake43 - Thanks for that have a great trip Very Happy
ski holidays
wbsr wrote:
leedsunited, Unless you want to be one of those 'Whistler is so expensive' people - stay clear of the Longhorn - classic tourist priced place.

Crystal is cheap, I like a place called the Cinnamon Bar and Grill (located in the Hilton hotel), 'Brandys' at the Keg is a great place to drink with appies - a little hard to get a seat at times (not very big)
Cheap dinner - try Pasta Lupinos near 7-11 . Not big servings, but good food and cheap. There are a number of decent Japanese places too.

wbsr - great to hear reccomendations from somebody in Whistler, we are staying at Stoney Creek Resort, we are told that it is an easy walk to lifts and main areas and on the map it looks good however a real opinion would be appreciated. Many thanks
latest report
I think Stoney Creek is opposite the IGA so its not exactly slopeside but right on the free bus loop with only 1 more stop to the lifts. Handy for 7-11, Splitz etc (i.e. the cheaper end of town. I'd have no problems staying there, way better than Creekside for mix of amenities/access to mountains.
latest report
Fatbob - Thanks for that, dont mind free bus and as long as regular no problems Very Happy
ski holidays
leedsunited,
I presume the map you mention is mine - but just in case you can see the location of Stoney Creek here
http://whistler3dsolutions.com/whistler/?x=stoney_creek_lagoons

you will see there are actually 3 'stoney creeks'

It is at the far end of the village, but as mentioned there is a free bus to the lifts - which is supposed to run every 7-8 minutes - and is pretty reliable
it drops you off at the 'bus loop - ski lifts' (search on the map)
snow conditions
Hi

Im looking to do a season in Whistler 2011/12 as well! Im currently in the process of trying to sort out a visa. Anyone got any tips in that department at all. Im a qualified ski instructor but Whistler are not sponsoring overseas instructors this year!! Crying or Very sad
latest report
leedsunited,
Stoney Creek is a pretty good spot, Stayed in all 3 versions and they were all fine (Sun Path marginally more convenient than Lagoons, which is marginally more convenient than Northstar). Lived in Stoney Creek lagoons for one of my seasons, and we used to stay there before we moved "just down the road". As mentioned, the number 5 bus (free village shuttle) goes from just over the road and does a lap round to Blackcomb base, then Whistler base, so Pretty handy. It's not particularly far to walk to the lifts either - just cut through the bus loop.
lots of bars and restaurants close by including Splitz, and Sachi Sushi, Brewhouse... TD bank in the marketplace for when your cash card runs out! wink

richjobling, do you qualify for a BUNAC visa? Do they still do them? If not and you can't get sponsored, it's going to be tricky as I think you need to be sponsored by an employer to get a Canadian work permit. Not an instructor so not tried, but I can imagine getting an instructor job there will be tough next year, as it's been a pretty tough year numbers wise this year.
snow report
stuarth, yeah i took a look on the BUNAC website but it seems they charge you quite a bit to effectively get your visa? Not really sure on that one. Iv had a quick look at the Canadian embassy web site and there is a Working holiday permit which looks to me like you do not need an offer of employment to obtain it?

Do you reckon I will be at a dissadvantage being an overseas instructor looking for work out there?
snow report
Brookebowrey, pocket_rocket86,

Hey Brookebowrey/pocket_rocket.

I'm from Adelaide and I am heading over for a season in late october. Im doing the solo thing to, So pumped cant wait. I ended up going through OWH/WHC, Figured it was the easiest option no stress, Job, Accom, lift pass all sorted.
I've Paid the OWH/WHC fee ($800) Passport sorted, Work permit in the mail now I'm just waiting for my interview in july for a Rental Tech position.

How are your guys plans looking?
ski holidays
Freakazoid wrote:

I'm from Adelaide and I am heading over for a season in late october. Im doing the solo thing to, So pumped cant wait. I ended up going through OWH/WHC, Figured it was the easiest option no stress, Job, Accom, lift pass all sorted.
I've Paid the OWH/WHC fee ($800) Passport sorted, Work permit in the mail now I'm just waiting for my interview in july for a Rental Tech position.

Hey! my friend and i are going it alone.. we have our passports and police clearances and are applying for our whp visa this week, we are hoping to get something in whistler.. we just need to know when the job fairs are on.. we are heading over in october also Very Happy if you have any info keep us posted Very Happy
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:
pocket_rocket86, the one that suits your requirements! Decide what is important to you (regular hours/ wage vs lots of mountain time + evening work) then research and start planning! Good luck.

honestly.. we really dont care, we just know we want a change, fun, meet new people, new experience and more fun! but we will definately be researching so we dont get stuck Smile
ski holidays
pocket_rocket86 wrote:
Freakazoid wrote:

Hey! my friend and i are going it alone.. we have our passports and police clearances and are applying for our whp visa this week, we are hoping to get something in whistler.. we just need to know when the job fairs are on.. we are heading over in october also Very Happy if you have any info keep us posted Very Happy

Hey, I just found this website from september last year.

http://www.whistlerquestion.com/article/20100908/WHISTLER01/309089958/-1/whistler/recruitment-patterns-change-job-fairs-dwindle

It discusses the changes to Whistlers job's fair thought it might bet helpful to ya.
It was written by Jennifer Miller She left her email address so anyone with any questions can contact her.
Send her a email she will prob answer any questions you have.

jmiller@whistlerquestion.com
snow report
I was in Whistler in January and the standing joke amongst our group was that are there ant Australians left in Oz!!?? The place is packed with them - not a bad thing though!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sparkzter wrote:
I was in Whistler in January and the standing joke amongst our group was that are there ant Australians left in Oz!!?? The place is packed with them - not a bad thing though!

its all the good ones NehNeh
latest report
Freakazoid wrote:
pocket_rocket86 wrote:
Freakazoid wrote:

Hey, I just found this website from september last year.

http://www.whistlerquestion.com/article/20100908/WHISTLER01/309089958/-1/whistler/recruitment-patterns-change-job-fairs-dwindle

It discusses the changes to Whistlers job's fair thought it might bet helpful to ya.
It was written by Jennifer Miller She left her email address so anyone with any questions can contact her.
Send her a email she will prob answer any questions you have.

jmiller@whistlerquestion.com

where are you looking to work? we really want whistler but we are worried we might miss the boat Sad we are heading over in october, do you know when the job fairs are held in australia? cheeeeeeers Very Happy
snow report
pocket_rocket86,
Hey, Yeah I am going to whistler, Other resorts are Awesome but whistler just has it all. I was just talking to my contact at Overseas Working Holiday's and she says that at this time of year there is no job fair or anything else in Australia. Also the programs are full OWH Have been full since jan. Your best bet is to apply for the jobs fair at Blackcomb Daylodge in early November, The Exact dates and details on how to book an interview will be available here in late September. See link below.
Since your heading over in october you should have plenty of time to sort stuff out Job/Accom. It sounds scary but the more forums i read the more people keep saying that they just rocked up got accom for a few weeks ask around and used http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/pique/index.php and notice boards in whistler and scored a job and accom After all it is Whistler the place is Massive.

Keep me posted on what you decide.
snow report
I don't work for WB or anything, but I am 99% sure there will be at least 1 job fair in Australia, more likely 1 in Sydney and 1 in Melbourne. Normally around July/August I think. Keep your eye on the WB site, links above, and they will update it. Right now everyone is more concerned with stuff for summer, once summer is under way they will organise the stuff for next winter.
latest report
wbsr wrote:
I don't work for WB or anything, but I am 99% sure there will be at least 1 job fair in Australia, more likely 1 in Sydney and 1 in Melbourne. Normally around July/August I think. Keep your eye on the WB site, links above, and they will update it. Right now everyone is more concerned with stuff for summer, once summer is under way they will organise the stuff for next winter.

Yea I thought there was at least one held in aust, we will keep an eye out on the websites cheers Happy

Does anyone have any stories from their experiences either working in whistler or Canada in general, things to do, things you must see when there etc? Please share away!
ski holidays
Hey pocket_rocket you were spot on I found that expo you were talking about if you havn't already the web site is below. Its in Melbs on 15th of may and in Syd on the 22nd of may. http://www.snowtravelexpo.com.au/index.php.
snow report
Freakazoid, Thankyou! I knew there was at least one over here! Eep! That's this weekend! Shocked
snow report
Hi all, I thought I'd put some input into this - I have an IEC visa and have booked a flight for 31st October. I chose that date as I think there is a jobs fair on the 4th/5th November, so that gives me a bit of time to sort stuff out in Vancouver then head up to Whistler, however I'm worried that might be a bit late to get a decent(ish) job?
snow report
Hi all!

I'm also on a solo trip heading to Whistler this year.........leaving bonnie Scotland and heading for the mountains of Canada for 4 months Smile Hopeing to get there near the end of October and stay till March-ish time. I've got all the same questions as other people on here so it's been a great help to read through this! I suppose like everyone, my main worries are 1) job and 2) somewhere to live. Not too fussed about what I end up doing work-wise, I just want to have a good time, meet some great people and just enjoy myself for a few months!

Looking forward to it!!

Lisa x
snow report
Lisajf84 feel free to get in touch if you need help on the accommodation side of your adventure.
snow conditions
Hi guys,

Heading to whistler mid January. How is the accomodation situation over there. Will i find it difficult to find any? Heading over on my own from Ireland. Hope it all works out!
latest report
Hi I did a short season in whistler well a long holiday really 10 weeks in 1991 and stooped at seppos log cabin is it still going .
We had wonderful fun he was wreak character
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy