Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

rucksack or not when skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Going on my first ski holl soon, some people have suggested I bring a small rucksack on the slopes to carry clothes if I get too hot and maybe a drink and a snack.

Is this vvv useful? or does it make balancing tricky?

Cheers Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought one of these for the exact reason.....didnt even notice I had it on! I found it very useful for camera, food, drinks, goggles/shades, wallet etc etc

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/backcountry-packs/dakine/440201/heli-pack
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
billy_boy_2010, if you find balance tricky when walking around wearing a rucksack then you'll probably struggle with skiing balance. If not, then you'll be fine.

It's very much a personal choice. I'm more comfortable with empty pockets and everything in by bag, other people aren't bothered. I also get de-hydrated and like to carry water with me, which is a pain without a bag.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good idea. I normally ski with a small backpack. Helps to have one where you can tie or tuck any loose straps away so they cannot get caught on a chair-lift. And one with a strap that goes across your chest avoids it ever sliding out of position.

I don't find it affects my balance at all and find a backpack better than having my pockets stuffed with mobile phone, passport, chocolate and other necessary items.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its down to personal preference, If piste skiing I never ski with one as apart from a phone and some cash I don't carry anything else. The only downside to a rucksac is some people have a tendancy to go out for a days piste skiing carrying everything bar the kitchen sink.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
billy_boy_2010, small rucksack is very useful - mostly for water and surplus/extra layers. BUT no straps, loops, flappy bits etc that will attach you inadvertantly to charilifts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
........ and you mates without the backpack will try to put their stuff into yours........ wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I only take one piste skiing if i'm carrying my SLR as well. other than that, i only really need it to carry off piste stuff and to give a little extra back protection when skiing off the beaten track.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I ski with a very small pack thats not much more than a Camelback with a big pocket; Takes spare gloves, goggles, etc (and of course a water bladder).
If it's your first ski trip though I wouldn't bother. The last thing you need as a beginer having lessons, is anything making life harder when getting up or getting on a chair lift. Once you're a bit more experienced then it's fine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pockets will carry: a bottle of water, a chocolate bar, spare hat (for when yours gets wet and freezes), goggles (for when it snows), spare layer of thermal clothing.

A pack has to be taken off at all lifts (in France at least) and is an extra distraction for a beginner - you will find getting on and off lifts a challenge in itself.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was with a beginner in Tignes taking her to the start of her lesson. The instructor insisted that she should not wear a back pack .... especially as she had her walking boots in it! I had to ski with it till she could pick it up.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

A pack has to be taken off at all lifts (in France at least)

There are advisory signs on all chair lifts - but I never take mine off.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
James the Last, you may be able to get all those things in your pockets, but it would be extremely uncomfortable. Packs certainly do not have to be taken off at all lifts, there may be some signs requesting it, but very few lifties are bothered in the slightest.

I agree that for complete beginners it's probably too much of a distraction to have a bag. I'd also say that of those things you listed, only the chocolate bar is required for a beginner.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
Quote:

A pack has to be taken off at all lifts (in France at least)

There are advisory signs on all chair lifts - but I never take mine off.

never take mine off either, just push it up so i'm not sitting too far forward
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Never take my backpack off on the lifts in france. Mine has a back protector built in so I consider it safety gear. And where are you going to put the shovel and probes etc (Which I always carry)
ski holidays
madmole, I do not recall anyone anywhere recommending that beginners, such as billy_boy_2010, take shovel and probe with them. Looking around the pistes I have only seen a very small number of people with rucksacs. Most people take all they need for the day in their pockets. There are other threads here on Snowheads discussing what to take onto the slopes, but I cannot immediately think of what to search for to find such threads.
snow conditions
Don't use a backpack when beginning... a lot of instructors will tell you to leave it behind because of balance.

But I use one for spare gloves, neckwarmer, sunny googles, and bad weather goggles... I have camera, snack bar, phone, gps, piste maps, sunglasses, hat and gloves in my jacket...

A lot of places do now have signs to say to remove or wear in front on the lifts but no-one ever enforces it.

And I have seen two people get hooked-up on chair lifts with their rucksack straps. It's funny to see, but makes you wonder and check your straps... Little Angel
ski holidays
While resort skiing? "not" I would say. Pocket sized camera, credit car and a few coins should be enough.
snow report
Personally I find backpacks very annoying, make me lean backwards all the time (I don't need any help in doing this. Laughing )

I never see why people feel the need to cart around endless supplies of food and spare clothing everywhere - I usually have camera (round neck), phone (in pocket) possibly water bottle (on belt).
snow report
Sounds sensible to buy a light, cheap one. Unless it is very small it is worth getting one with a waist strap, so it cannot bounce around.
Or you could get a bum bag (or are they too old-fashioned now).
Off piste a pack is essential - I'm normally carrying about 5 kilos or up to 7 kilos if carrying rope and harness and a full water bottle. When I'm skiing I don't notice it. I'd be very surprised if you would be carrying more than a kilo- probably half that. After you have worn it for an hour you won't notice it.
You only need to take a big pack off on chair lifts, but before you get off, check that no straps are caught on the chair. I usually leave the waisband done up and sling it round onto my lap.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 8-02-11 18:14; edited 6 times in total
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
While resort skiing? "not" I would say. Pocket sized camera, credit car and a few coins should be enough.

you forgot the 4 cans of beer, the chocolate and water.
snow report
I found, despite it not having much in it, carrying a rucksack negatively affected my skiing. Might have just been because I was still learning, but it put me off wearing one since. Pockets are suitable, and I've never felt the need for extra clothes - I always dress for maximum warmth unless I'm 100% certain its going to be boiling.
snow report
I don't carry anything like that much. Just money, phone, tissues, piste map, hat. I normally use a 'bumbag' or very small rucksack (fiver from Decathlon) which comes in handy when stopping at a mountain hut to put my gloves and sunnies in.

If you have a vented ski suit, you can just open the zips if you get a bit too warm. I only wear one base layer under my jacket, I tend to suffer from being warm rather than being cold.
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
I don't carry anything like that much. Just money, phone, tissues, piste map, hat. I normally use a 'bumbag' or very small rucksack (fiver from Decathlon) which comes in handy when stopping at a mountain hut to put my gloves and sunnies in.

If you have a vented ski suit, you can just open the zips if you get a bit too warm. I only wear one base layer under my jacket, I tend to suffer from being warm rather than being cold.

last trip used a rucksack i got for a tenner and forgot to take out the metal a-frame. fell (as you do) and aframe dug in a bit.. was a tad sore.
so came back and got a way over specced animal rucky with a bladder.. might be somewhere to put beer Smile
ski holidays
snowball, I believe bum bags are acceptable again, I knew they would be one day Toofy Grin . That's as much as I can be bothered with on the slopes, just so I can bring my camera. Happily use a rucksack for walking though. I have just bought a lovely new Dakine one which is actually a snowsports one, 16L, so I have the option but is actually mainly for a charity walk I am doing in the summer. Was very impressed with simplypiste.com who have videos online to demo each bag they sell.

I agree that beginners don't need the extra hassle of a backpack.
snow conditions
Lou wrote:
snowball, I believe bum bags are acceptable again, I knew they would be one day Toofy Grin . That's as much as I can be bothered with on the slopes, just so I can bring my camera. Happily use a rucksack for walking though. I have just bought a lovely new Dakine one which is actually a snowsports one, 16L, so I have the option but is actually mainly for a charity walk I am doing in the summer. Was very impressed with simplypiste.com who have videos online to demo each bag they sell.

I agree that beginners don't need the extra hassle of a backpack.

bum bags should never be acceptable
ski holidays
mugen, not just any old bum bag Toofy Grin
http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop.asp?desc=VERCOR+BUM+BAG&wce=39204502&wci=product
latest report
As a beginner I skied with a rucksack, and I still do. It is pretty small though. I don't really know it's there most of the time, although for a few minutes after lunch it is a lot lighter, then I forget it's there again.

I got a small compact camera which I hoped would negate the need for a bag, but then it turned out that the OH and Jnrs new jackets had so few pockets that I was carting more of their stuff around. My latest jacket also has less pockets than my old one. Are jackets being designed with less pockets in, or is it something we've just not considered when buying the jackets?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lou wrote:
mugen, not just any old bum bag Toofy Grin
http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop.asp?desc=VERCOR+BUM+BAG&wce=39204502&wci=product

no no no.. all you need is a pair of those early 90's baggy workout trousers and...
Smile
ski holidays
mugen, Laughing
snow report
Funniest sound I ever heard was an Italian guy stuck to a chairlift by his rucksuck in Cirvinia.

To me, it sounded like a mountain goat getting lifted off a cliff by an eagle. As a result, when I heard it, I instinctively looked up to the sky. That was until I noticed everybody else looking towards the chairlift I'd just came off.

I know it's wrong to laugh at other peoples missfortune, and I realise one day it could happen to me, but I was in complete hysterics!!
ski holidays
Despite initial reluctance I now always ski with a backpack.

On-piste with a Dakine Helipack with water bladder, spare gloves, goggles and munchies together with a decent ski-padlock.

Off-piste/good snow I use similar but with a Black Daimond Avalung and another hydration bladder and full avi-kit.

I've never been a fan of taking the ruck-sac off but last season the straps on the Dakine got caught in one of the older steel/wood 2 man chair lifts and the strap ripped off with a long wait for the missing part to complete a full lap: I'll now probably make an informed inspection of each lift based upon that experience and will now take it off if I'm in doubt, especially if it's the BD one as that would be way too incoveneint to damage!

For a first trip, if you need hydration - and I do, then it's easier and don't be put off by the balance as it really makes no difference at all unless it's carrying overnight kit!
ski holidays
Jivebaby wrote:
Despite initial reluctance I now always ski with a backpack.

On-piste with a Dakine Helipack with water bladder, spare gloves, goggles and munchies together with a decent ski-padlock.

Off-piste/good snow I use similar but with a Black Daimond Avalung and another hydration bladder and full avi-kit.

I've never been a fan of taking the ruck-sac off but last season the straps on the Dakine got caught in one of the older steel/wood 2 man chair lifts and the strap ripped off with a long wait for the missing part to complete a full lap: I'll now probably make an informed inspection of each lift based upon that experience and will now take it off if I'm in doubt, especially if it's the BD one as that would be way too incoveneint to damage!

For a first trip, if you need hydration - and I do, then it's easier and don't be put off by the balance as it really makes no difference at all unless it's carrying overnight kit!

does beer work in the bladder.. just got one Smile
ski holidays
mugen, I think the froth would be a problem !! What about wine or G+T avec citron? Cool Cool
snow report
Jivebaby wrote:
mugen, I think the froth would be a problem !! What about wine or G+T avec citron? Cool Cool

oh just dash all my hopes and aspirations. dreams dashed. Smile
it's got to be beer man, get too drunk too quick on wine...
snow report
Fell from a chair. That is why my backpack strap jammed and I did not manage to get down time
ski holidays
Ended up wearing a rucksack skiing for the first time last week, whilst doing a particularly big day in the 3-valleys. I ended up the 'supplies' carrier for the 4 of us as I was the only one with an appropriate rucksack (I had taken my hillwalking one as my hand-luggage).

I didn't find it bad at all, even although it was totally stashed with sandwiches, juice, water etc. I didn't even notice it whilst skiing.

The only issue was on chairlifts. As the rucksack was quite full, I ended up sitting a bit further forward, and this resulted in me constantly getting hit on the head when others tried to lower the safety bar Shocked

Just as well I was wearing a helmet!!
snow conditions
shoneyman wrote:
Ended up wearing a rucksack skiing for the first time last week, whilst doing a particularly big day in the 3-valleys. I ended up the 'supplies' carrier for the 4 of us as I was the only one with an appropriate rucksack (I had taken my hillwalking one as my hand-luggage).

I didn't find it bad at all, even although it was totally stashed with sandwiches, juice, water etc. I didn't even notice it whilst skiing.

The only issue was on chairlifts. As the rucksack was quite full, I ended up sitting a bit further forward, and this resulted in me constantly getting hit on the head when others tried to lower the safety bar Shocked

Just as well I was wearing a helmet!!

best one with the safety bar i saw (was in) was in la plagne. dutch guy pulled the bar too quick on a six chair and the other five, me included, we screaming at him as he kept pulling the thing down.
fortunately there were dutch there to swear at himin his own language, but as the dutch can speak every language known to man it wasn't exactly an issue.

close encounters could have been so much shorter, no messing the the big piano just get a dutch guy he probably knows the lingo..

but i digress, i wouldn't ski anymore without a rucksack now so used to it..
latest report
Quote:

i wouldn't ski anymore without a rucksack now so used to it

Quite so. Did a couple of runs last year while my mates waited in the bar (slackers) and I gave them by pack to look after. Never again, I was all over the shop, didn't feel right at all.
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
Quote:

i wouldn't ski anymore without a rucksack now so used to it

Quite so. Did a couple of runs last year while my mates waited in the bar (slackers) and I gave them by pack to look after. Never again, I was all over the shop, didn't feel right at all.

also keeps your back warm..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy