Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

37 Quid SKi Carriage with Easyjet!!!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked an extra one of our kids on a Squeezyjet flight, LGW- Sofia. £37 for one pair of skis!! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nearly 3p a mile! Easyjet thy name is Dick Turpin. I mean you probably only paid two or three times that for your skis in the first place! I'd burn them at checkin as an act of defiance.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plus an extra 12kg of luggage.

I have no problem with it. Aircraft have a maximum take off weight.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mollerski, there is a thread on ski allowance with Easy Jet stickied somewhere. Personally, I don't think that's too bad at all.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mollerski, compared to what it would cost to post them from Penryn to Exeter, that's actually quite a bargain.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
£18.50 there £18.50 back again, wots up.
Provided you actually get them back Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mollerski,
Just think remember it's £80 with Ryanair and you'll feel a whole lot better....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kruisler wrote:
Mollerski,
Just think remember it's £80 with Ryanair and you'll feel a whole lot better....

Vowed to never darken Ryanair's door several years ago. They're just nasty. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
£37 is cheap! If it is not cheap for you then rent in resort! Oh sorry that would be close to £100. Drive to Sofia instead, that could save you £37! Foolish post IMO, skiing is not the cheapest sport when you are based in the UK or Ireland. £37 sounds very good value to me!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
From a summary of the Office for Fair Trading's investigation into misleading pricing, published in December last year:
Quote:

Practices identified by the OFT that were most likely to cause harm included:

* Drip pricing. Where optional or compulsory charges are added during the buying process, such as taxes, card charges and delivery fees. This is especially prevalent in the budget airline industry...

Extras such as ski allowances are never part of the headline price, so it's difficult for consumers to include them when making a comparison. That's why the price charged to the customer is so much higher than the cost of the service.

You have a right to be mad. And the OFT agrees with you.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonny Jones wrote:

Extras such as ski allowances are never part of the headline price, so it's difficult for consumers to include them when making a comparison. That's why the price charged to the customer is so much higher than the cost of the service.

You have a right to be mad. And the OFT agrees with you.

Er, no you don't have the right to be mad.

By that example, everyone on a flight to Geneva should be charged for carrying skis in their ticket price, even if they are going on business for the day or even if they just don't own skis.

It's £37 FFS. How much is the rest of your holiday costing?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonny Jones wrote:
...Extras such as ski allowances are never part of the headline price, so it's difficult for consumers to include them when making a comparison. That's why the price charged to the customer is so much higher than the cost of the service.......

A former boss of mine went into the airline business, and told me that skis were a PITA. The extra handling itself was a cost - and on top of that, they were awkward to load into the hold. I note, however, that you feel you can do better - and look forward to you starting an airline. Will snowheads get a discount?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree that tax and airport charges which are predictably included as part of the basic price OUGHT to be included from the outset, and with easyJet they are.

However, to suggest that it is wrong to add baggage, skis, etc "during the buying process" is crazy - when else would you add them, for goodness' sake?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No-one - not me, not the OFT - has suggested that drip pricing shouldn't be allowed. But there is a case for arguing that additional items should not be charged significantly above cost price. That's perfectly normal in other regulated industries; for example, if you have a loan, the OFT won't allow you to be charged more for a bounced direct debit than it costs the lender to process (and, yes, the OFT checks this regularly).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonny Jones, skis are probably being charged below a reasonable level as a marketing ploy. Your remarks intrigue me though. Are you suggesting that businesses should be government controlled so that they charge only costs + a government decreed profit margin? If so, I look forward to Spyder kit becoming a lot cheaper. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
I don't think the £18 each way is that bad. It also costs the same with my 8.5 foot kayak, which I reckon is a bargain!
ski holidays
A bargain compared to Ryanair and not much more than a normal bag, what's to get excited about Puzzled
snow conditions
I agree with Mollerski

It's not so much the actual cost. I feel we mainly get a bargain with the low cost airline's headline prices. It is all because many of us feel they are profiteering with the 'extras', and taking our own skis feels like a necessity for many of us.

I have no problem with any company making a profit, but get peeved when I feel I'm being robbed and can do very little about it.

I realise that more fuel is required to carry my enormously heavy skis, but if they can fly me at 80Kg for £80 return then the fuel cost could be considered as costing £1 per Kilo. My skis/bag weigh 10Kg so the return cost should be £10. Oh wait! the £80 flight charge also includes Government taxes and staff costs etc., so they should be able to do ski carriage cheaper than £1 per kilo. But let's just say the extra charge is for the 'extra' handling required for skis. So a £10 is probably just about spot on. And probably includes a pretty good profit margin as well.

We all know that the low-cost airlines use ski carriage as a really nice little earner. Even most of the TO carriers only charge £30 return and they include a promise to pay for hiring sports equipment in resort if it doesn't arrive. There is not much chance of this with the Low Cost/High Profit shyster Del-Boy airlines!
snow conditions
Mr Marmot wrote:
....We all know that the low-cost airlines use ski carriage as a really nice little earner.....

Who's 'we all'? You and your computer?
snow report
Mr Marmot wrote:

We all know that the low-cost airlines use ski carriage as a really nice little earner. Even most of the TO carriers only charge £30 return and they include a promise to pay for hiring sports equipment in resort if it doesn't arrive. There is not much chance of this with the Low Cost/High Profit shyster Del-Boy airlines!

I would suggest you vote with your feet and don't take your skies.

That'll show 'em.
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
Mr Marmot wrote:
....We all know that the low-cost airlines use ski carriage as a really nice little earner.....

Who's 'we all'? You and your computer?

Sorry Archilles, when I said 'we' , I really only meant those of us who can see the 'bl**ding obvious'
snow conditions
bar shaker wrote:
Mr Marmot wrote:

I would suggest you vote with your feet and don't take your skies.

That'll show 'em.

It will eventually come to that, of course. In the meantime I can, fortunately, afford the current charges. But it doesn't mean to say I have to like it. Don't get me wrong, I feel that the low-cost carriers provide a great service in many respects, and I hope that they will always continue in business. Fortunately, they all seem to be making a good profit , but they seem to make too much of this profit on 'extras' which some customers just cannot avoid, and on punishing customer 'mistakes'. This business 'model' leaves a sour taste in many people's mouths and I often wonder if they have ever thought that being more 'fair' and 'reasonable' would make many people hate them less. I notice that there doesn't appear to be as many people who hate Marks and Spencer or John Lewis, for example, than there are with Easyjet, and Ryanair in particular. They almost seem to revel in it!
latest report
Mr Marmot wrote:
and on punishing customer 'mistakes'.

So that'll be BA refunding me £21 on a £158 booking which I screwed up. Oh, no it's not. They are not a Loco - so that's fine. Well actually, it is. I screwed up, and got back what I was due under the terms of the deal. A bit like booking with a loco, really.
snow conditions
Mr Marmot, if you think that all the airlines are making good profits you might consider reading a bit more widely. And it is a sector with a fair bit of competition now (unlike the olden days when the national carriers had a lot of protection).
latest report
Easyjet - 160 million loss predicted this year versus 78m loss last year. Ryanair 10 million loss.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
Jonny Jones, skis are probably being charged below a reasonable level as a marketing ploy. Your remarks intrigue me though. Are you suggesting that businesses should be government controlled so that they charge only costs + a government decreed profit margin? If so, I look forward to Spyder kit becoming a lot cheaper. Madeye-Smiley

I'm not sure if your inability to understand what I said is because you're deliberately belligerent or simply slow-witted. If it's the latter, I apologise.

My objection - and, for that matter, the OFT's objection - is not about businesses making a profit. I wouldn't seek to restrict the prices that businesses charge, provided the charge is transparent and open.

If you care to read the OFT's report, the objection with drip pricing is not that the total amount paid is too high. The losses suffered by airlines in recent years would suggest that, on the contrary, they haven't been able to charge enough to their customers. The problem is when a business seeks to entice customers with an unrealistic headline rate and then bolster an unsustainable business model with overpriced extras. The issue is about transparency, fairness (the OFT isn't keen on cross-subsidies as they're inherently unfair) and open competition encouraged by ready access to the total price of a service.
ski holidays
Jonny Jones, if you go through the easyJet booking process, you first identify your flight (all taxes and charges included) and then add very clearly priced extras. Most contributors to the thread have thought that the ski carriage price charged was quite reasonable. Some other airlines seem to charge less reasonable prices - but easyJet seems to me to have the balance about right. Do you think it would be preferable if they put up the cost of the basic seat, and charges less for baggage? At least people do have a choice about how much stuff to take with them. In the olden days passengers without baggage, or with very little, subsidised those with a lot. Was that preferable?
latest report
Jonny Jones wrote:
...... because you're deliberately belligerent or simply slow-witted. ......

Mmm. Personal abuse, now. Do get a grip.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Drive over with the skis in your car that'll show 'em Very Happy
snow report
Has anyone tried this service? http://www.skis2you.com/index.php? Ok no good for Sofia but France at least!
latest report
tallman, that's actually quite reasonably priced! The other courier companies seem to charge a crazy amount. I'd still be worried about collecting from my hotel/chalet at the France end - most places there's no-one there during the day so where would the courier leave them?
ski holidays
landmannnn wrote:
Easyjet - 160 million loss predicted this year versus 78m loss last year. Ryanair 10 million loss.

OMG! I take it all back! They should charge even more for ski carriage!

I don't want any of them to go bust, they are just so damn convenient!
snow report
£100 with KLM. Easyjet seems a bargain.

And charging for skis as an extra is hardly drip pricing. THe vast majority of passengers do not take skis, golf clubs, kayaks or surf boards with them.

Not that I'm against free ski carriage. Had to buy a long roller bag and stuff everything in it to avoid KLM's excessive charge. just as well they allow 23kgs as allowance. I snuck in under that by 100g.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 11-02-11 13:23; edited 3 times in total
snow report
This was cheap. Paid 80£ for one snowboard both ways with Ryanair.
latest report
Of course it is cheap! Those argueing are just either too mean, or expect that the airline should carry them in the luxury that they are used to! They (he/she) seem to want to insult those that disagree that £18 each way seems reasonable! Puzzled
snow report
i think the prices are probably about fair, though it does put me off owning my own skis.
ski holidays
With the 'drip charges' I don't think Easyjet are bad, none of the extra charges are essential, just for things you may want (ski carriage/speedy boarding (lol)/etc). What really pisses me off is FlyBe, you think you're getting an absolute bargain 'cos they don't add the compulsory taxes until like the last page of the process!
latest report
clarky999, be very careful with flybe if you have skis - look at the t&cs and see that they will accept your ski bag length on your flight.
snow report
achilles, they say they only go upto 167, but they have never had a problem with my 176's. I do try and avoid them, but sometimes it's the only way to get from Aberdeen to one of the London departure airports - usually ends up being one of the small propellor planes too.
snow conditions
clarky999, interesting. My skis are 178s - and the bag adds a bit. It's put me off.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy