Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

euros - to buy now or wait...

Poster: A snowHead
Euro against the £ seems to be on the up. Off to 3v's on Sunday. Do I buy now or hold out for later in the week. Discuss.....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
from past experience of watching as soon as it get near to 120 it drops back,i think its something to do with the BANK OF ENGLAND intervening, i too have been watching as i,m going 19th feb, its at 118.75 right now so i would see if i could get near 114 ( the tourist rate is lower) then buy,but to be honest unless your buying big,one or two points wont make much difference,so i would go for it today
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ansta1, Puzzled rumours are that the interest rate will go up soon, which will push the pound up, but political pressure may stop any interest rate increase. If it were me I would shop around for the best rate locally, around here that is Tesco M+S or the Post Office.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ansta1, been flogged to death really. I never understand either why some snowheads feel they can order us to 'discuss' - rather than asking 'what do you think?'. I am also bemused that this is considered a subject for 'The Piste'.

However, briefly, I think that the government is very content with the exchange rate hovering at the £1= €1.17 to £1:20 mark. Speaking as someone employed by a manufacturer, and thus affording to ski, so am I. My employer is not alone. On the BBC news this morning, the discussion was that the £ will remain weak for the several years. I hope that that is the case.

I'd buy now.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles,
Quote:

I am also bemused that this is considered a subject for 'The Piste'.

Lots of subjects in the piste with no 'piste' content these days.

Regards business, I was told last week by managers at one of the UK's largest Commercial Mortgage banks to expect a base rate of 2% before next March. Which would give a LIBOR rate of around 3/3.5% for commercial lending Shocked
London Interbank Offered Rate (or LIBOR)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 7-02-11 9:04; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Lots of subjects in the piste with no 'piste' content these days.

Yup.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Back on subject, it will make little difference to your rate if you buy now or buy in a weeks time...unless your changing up vast quanitities that is!!??

Anyway, any slight fluctuation you manage to exploit will be swallowed up in the local differences in prices of drinks etc etc

Always makes me laugh when people hunt around for a better deal that is only measured in the decimiles to go and not care whether they pay £4 a beer or £4.50........seems that we are obsessed with exchange rates!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How much would you save by getting before you go, and getting from a cash point when you are there, say for 250 euros worth.

My bet is it's not worth the hassle.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles, it wasn't an order and if I've posted in an incorrect forum I sincerely and wholeheartedly apologise if this has inconvenienced or upset anyone...... I'll go and get back in my box.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ansta1, goody. Don't know what you were taught in English grammar - but using 'Discuss' as you did is imperative to my mind.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles, agreed but an imperative can be a command, order, warning or an instruction and of course if you put 'please' on the end it's then becomes a request, that is if I recall correctly from my comprehensive (as in the type of school and not the coverage of the syllabus) education about 25 years ago.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd buy now. Short of a massive act of god affecting all of Europe and not the UK (due the the link between markets and geopgraphic location the chances are pretty limited) the rate won't change by more than a penny in the pound. That means that a beer will be £4.04 instead of £4.

You also have the advantage of time at the moment, shop around, check on moneysavingexpert, they keep an eye on currencies and who is offering the best deal. Worth remembering that there's little point driving 30 miles to save yourself 40p.

If the trip was 6 months away this might be a discussion worth having, for the moment it really isn't. It won't fluctuate much. It was 1.17 on the 1st Feb, it is 1.18 today. By the end of the week it might get to 1.19, I would be quite surprised if it got above 1.20 by Friday this week, as would a lot of the market.

Everyone does seem to think it will rise a little bit this week, but not by more than a point. Someone investing several million could make some money. You will probably be better off spending your time shopping around the Post Office, Supermarkets, and banks to find the best rate.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dave_m, speedy, my thoughts too. Cash points are brilliant inventions for getting foreign money in foreign countries all for the price of a beer, but no financial transaction are ever skewed in favour of the customer. Just have a backup plan in case your card doesnt work wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ansta1, pay no attention to old grumpy bum
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shimmy Alcott, That's no way to speak of your elders, I hope you are not bringing up your children to show so little respect.

Toofy Grin
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, Very Happy
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, I'm teaching them to be cheery little nippers Very Happy
snow report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
ansta1, pay no attention to old grumpy bum

You may call me a grumpy old bum. I couldn't possibly call you an air-head. That would be rude Little Angel

I do wonder how this "discuss" thing has crept in, though. Do people recall school exams and fancy themselves as teachers?
snow conditions
'The Piste' has basically become a snow related version of the 'apres' section Little Angel , so anything to do with the snowy mountains (be that airlines/tyres/exchange rates/ Ms Alcott in a hot tub etc etc) that does not fit in to other sections seems to find itself here and I can not see the issue with that Puzzled
snow conditions
achilles wrote:

You may call me a grumpy old bum. I couldn't possibly call you an air-head. That would be rude Little Angel

Ah, but at least mine is an accurate observation of your character wink

Even if you were right, I'd rather be an air-head than spend my time just making people feel downright uncomfortable.
latest report
Slight possibilty Interest rates may rise on Thursday,which could help the £££.

I hedged my bets and got a grands worth online at 1.1685 a few days ago.

I used to always just use a Nationwide debit card in resort which didnt cost me and i received the bank rate not the tourist rate.

Sadly those days are gone but the Nationwide credit card is still good value IMO.

I went to Austria in Jan and my Nationwide card didnt seem to agree with the Austrian cashpoints Puzzled so i had to use another Yorkshire Bank debit card in desparation.

When i got home 300 euros had cost me £9 to withdraw. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
hedley, that's what I have to pay every time I dip into my Nat West account and I live out here. 200 Euro = £9 or thereabouts a pot! Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
I only got charged 3.52 GBP for 300 EUR in France last month
snow conditions
BergenBergen wrote:
I only got charged 3.52 GBP for 300 EUR in France last month

Now that is a good exchange rate. I'd convert all my money to euros if you can get 300 euros for £3.52 - 85 euros to the pound!!! Very Happy
snow conditions
Monium, it helps if you wear a mask, stripey shirt and a bag with SWAG written on it. They just give me the money.
latest report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
hedley, that's what I have to pay every time I dip into my Nat West account and I live out here. 200 Euro = £9 or thereabouts a pot! Crying or Very sad

Take €400 out each time then, or better still open a Euro local bank account and transfer a large chunk.
ski holidays
Not many branches about "just yet" but Metrobank debit card gives the Mastercard exchange rate.
This is highly competitive with visas exchange rate, exactly like the old nationwide debit card, with no fees and no loading for wthdrwls and purchases.
It works out at 3 to 6% better over other debit cards for cash withdrawals.
So £30 on a grand min, some debit cards cost double that.

As for withdrawing cash on a credit card its way more and a no no.
The exchange rate is loaded so many percent more (say 2.25%) plus a flat fee of £1.50 or more each time, plus the interest clock ticks from wthdrwl day at 12.9 to 29% on the amount of cash withdrwn until paid off, if you can pay it off.
Sounds like a budjet airline set of charges does,nt it just goes on and on.

If you must use a CCard for cash withdrawals the halifax clarity card and the sainburys one, are the best two competitve choices.
The clarity gives you a total of £60 back a year if used to the tune of 300 a month,the sainsburys cost 60 a year.
Depending how many hols you have and how much you spend on each CCard,the bankers love plastic and probably are in st moritz on all of us.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 8-02-11 11:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
James the Last, my money from the UK has to go into my English bank account and transferring out subjects me to horrendous extra charges. This way I am earning a little interest when I leave it in there. I have a limit which I set at 200 Euro; that way should I lose my card or have my identity nicked - there's trouble for them lifting anything - I also have a weekly limit set. My niece had her ID cloned a few years back and was cleaned out in next to no time. I also have a system whereby my bank call me on my mobile (the security people) if there is "suspicious activity" on my account.

I have a local Euro bank which I use for my European income. Interestingly, I've just been informed that when I receive my new card, I will not be able to use it for cash withdrawals outside the EU. As a result I will be changing my bank pretty soon.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, do bank transfers from your UK bank to your French bank through e.g. currenciesdirect.com - they'll give you a better rate than withdrawing cash from a hole in the wall.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy