Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What board should I race on this weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
So, I'm racing Boardercross for the first time ever this weekend.

I have a bit of a decision to make on which board to ride. My choices are:

1. Head Intelligence I.CT 167
Stiff, responsive, carbon base, ridiculously fast, tight side-cut, clearly the tool for the job. But also with a broken edge and a repaired de-lam that may or may not hold. Coming out of what was a permanent retirement for the occasion!

2. Burton Operator 161
Turns nice and quick, but a bit short and edge-hold is just average.

3. Burton Supermodel 168
Nice enough in powder, but it's not super-stiff and it turns like an oil tanker.

I really should have replaced the Head with another full-on ninja board, but lack of funds lead me to a cheap deal on the Supermodel. At the moment, I think I'm going to take the Head out in the next couple of days and see how it's holding up. If it comes to bits on me, I'll probably ride the Operator.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevomcd, no idea which board, but any chance of a video?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Head, with araldite added as required!

Good luck, what level are you racing at? Wear plenty of armour.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's a local race, usually mostly off-piste and somewhhere between a chinese downhill and a 'cross, but with the current off-piste conditions they've built a proper bc course this year. It's not an fis race or anything, but it's a memorial for a pisteur who was killed in an avalanche so all the local instructors, guides and pisteurs make a point of taking part. The level is savage! I'll be wearing the full stormtrooper suit!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boardercross, last time I was there for Course du Pem it was a free for all! Enjoy the party.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Like i said, it's a bit of a departure from the norm this year!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, I'll try to post up any photos/videos that I can get my hands on afterwards. You keen to see me break myself or something? wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would say the Operator. I had a bash at boarderX of few times and you need something that turns fast.
or how about getting rid of all three and getting something decent?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

all the local instructors, guides and pisteurs make a point of taking part. The level is savage!

Shocked not the same level, but I noticed in Les Contamines a couple of weeks ago notices about free skiercross sessions for kids, with instruction in the morning followed by some races. Had to be 3* level to participate, reasonably. I thought it sounded like a fantastic opportunity for kids.

Good luck, stevomcd, snowHead No, I'd hate to see you break yourself.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

getting something decent

The Head is one of the best boards I've ever owned! Super-fast base, stiff as you like, nice and slim (no need for width on a 167 unless you've got giant feet) and the sidecut is really tight for a big board. Whether the Intelligence fibre stuff works or not I really couldn't say, but the thing never, ever chatters. I'd buy another one in a shot.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Head make great boards.

My Giant 161 that I ride at the moment is like a rocketship..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sadly, the Head failed it's late fitness-test today! Sad

Looks like I'll be riding the Operator.

Definitely investing in a new no-compromise stiff freeride board for next year.

Rocker, taper, TBT, Magnatraction... bah! I want something with a normal camber, no taper and stiff as you like.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stevomcd, i don't know if they will be producing it next season, but keep your eye out for a Burton SupermodelX.
I have a SupermodelX 160cm from 2008/2009 season, normal camber, 10mm taper, very stiff, very fast base. Paired it with a set of C60 EST bindings and have all the response i need, turns like it's on rails, superb edge hold, even on the ice of La Face de Bellevarde over the last 2 weeks. It's fantastic in powder, especially if you ride it fast. Sadly i've just got back home to Scotland or you could have nipped up to Val for a test ride.
Burton didn't produce the SupermodelX this season or last but if you can source one, it may be the no-compromise stiff board you are after?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Backcountryboarder, yeah, I'd like a go on a Supermodel X but I'm not a huge fan of the shape of my Supermodel. I have small feet, so with the taper it feels to me like the nose is too wide. I don't really like taper overall - I want the tail of the board to push back in powder, not sink away.

The race today was.... interesting!

As it's a local thing and for a bit of fun, they made everyone do a running start - 10m sprint, then clip-in. Made sense for the skiers, but I kind of thought it spoiled the competitiveness a bit for the snowboarders and telemarkers. This may be sour grapes on my part as I was slowest to strap-in in my heat and left myself with no chance of qualifying. Humph! Confused

Course was cool though, for anyone who knows Sainte Foy, start line was at the snack-hut at the top of the 2nd lift, cruise the flat section out skier's right onto the red, drop straight down that (couple of easy gates) then onto the Arpettaz slalom run. Couple more easy gates on the initial flat section, than a hard left-hand gate leading into 3 whoops and a drop off (about 4' high, maybe 8' to the knuckle). Some tighter gates as you got into the steeper part of the piste, then across into a banked right-hander with the end of the berm cut off (so the wider you go, the bigger the drop!). More gates, banked left-hander into a biggish jump then (in what I suspect was a last-minute brainwave!) up onto the slope at the side of the piste, swing round and drop-off, back across the piste, left-hand berm and straight-line the final steep section (taking in a kicker along the way).

Only downer was that the landings were a wee bit flat and I'm feeling it a wee bit in my back.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevomcd, well congratulations on surviving! snowHead
ski holidays
Stevomcd, sounds like it was a good day apart from the flat landings. Running start sounds different!
Hope you enjoyed it, and as for small feet, you know what they say......small feet = no toe or heel drag!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy