Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

and a new topic - Wengen...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Chris Brookes, actually I do like jumping on the train at Wengen, the trick is getting one of the trains up that does not connect with a train from Interlaken. Last season I only had to queue to go up the Mannlichen once, again if you get there reasonably early or fairly late it's not a problem the busy time is between 9.15 and 10.45 so earlier or later and you can often virtually walk straight on, do avoid the weekends though as they can be busy

And now for those people who don't know what the area looks like

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The thing that put me off Murren (apart from not being able to get to Interlaken easily of an evening) was that the sandwich shop shuts at 11.45am-2pm. Hmm...lets see...what time do I usually have my lunch Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
D G Orf, to be fair we did go when it was busy so i understand why there was a Q (but im trying to find faults with Wengen not praise it... Laughing ) love the picture

Elizabeth B, true about Interlaken but dont the trains to Wengen stop the same time as the funicular to Murren ?

I don't know any sandwich shop in Murren,the nearest to it would be the Coop which closes between 1-2pm . Saying that you could have just brought a sandwich from any of the restaurants or huts on the pistes.Winteregg and the Birg restaurant do a lovely selection of rostis.The Shiltgrat hut does a good selection of burgers or sandwiches.If you had fancied some food in Murren you should have tried the Junfgrau Hotel(on the nursey slopes),sit back on the sun terrace and have a good choice of sandwiches,pasta,pizza,rostis etc..

Am I pro Murren or what !! snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 11-07-05 14:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From what I can remember, the funicular stops at about 8.30pm and after that you have to get a bus/cablecar.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elizabeth B, We visited Interlaken last summer for the day,wanted a break from hiking around Murren and found not much to see (eg.shopping or of interest).We did thou have a nice lunch at Les Deux Alpes restaurant..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've spent many weeks staying in Interlaken and enjoy it there. It's also good for when I go in the winter with my parents, as they don't ski and my mum doesn't like snow covered ground Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elizabeth B, Chris Brookes, D G Orf (fab pic),
Now you've got me thinking. My dear old (78 year old & fit) mum wants to come with us on an alpine holiday, but I'm cautious about icy ground and hips/wrists, and also want reasonable snow cover higher up for the skiing family. Where do you recommend in Interlaken?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Martin Nicholas, if you're wanting to include skiing, then think about Wilderswil. It's slightly nearer the slopes for you, but is linked into Interlaken by a bus and a train. It's also a walkable distance for someone who is fit.

In terms of in Interlaken, it depands on price range...but the Metropole is really nice, and has great views of the Jungfrau.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Martin Nicholas, If you are woried about your mother I'd actually suggest Wengen as opposed to Interlaken, last season there was a lot more ice lower down than there was in the village due to the warmer temps melting then freezing again I think, I know I fell a couple of times on the flat streets there as opposed to not once in Wengen, Wengen itself has only a few roads and they all get gritted before it gets very icy, there is a walking pass for the area which is cheaper than the ski pass but would cover her for all the cablecars, gondolas, trains and possibly some of the buses, for added stability get her a set of spiked grips for her shoes available in most of the local ski shops and a spiked walking stick or a couple of ski poles. The lack of traffic in Wengen or Murren for that matter makes both areas much safer than lower down.

As for snow cover it's rare for it to be impossible to ski, Murren does have the edge over Wengen as it's about 1000ft higher so tends to get more snow, but Wengen has a larger area of ski runs for immediate access. Much of it would depend on when you plan to go, if it's Christmas or April Murren might be the better bet but I'll be out at Christmas in Wengen this year so you can tell what I think wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Of course im going to say spend it in Murren at Xmas/New Year if thats the time you have in mind. We were there this year and had a great time thou the snow only started to settle the day we arrived so many bare patches on the slopes!! (strange year for the dumping of Snow).

I love it when they come round to all the hotels ringing the different sized cow bells,they stay for a quick one and then move on to the next hotel.The fire works the hotel laid on at New Years Eve was amazing..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy