Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet - as cold as possible

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I just thought I would see if anyone has a recommendation for a helmet with Superb venting. Having skied with my helmet for the last couple of seasons I have got very used, and somewhat attached to it. I have found, however, that I just keep on getting overheated when I wear it. I should state, that I am one of those people that sweats in a freezer due to tying my shoe. I don't want to stop wearing my helmet, but it is starting to impact my skiing enjoyment, esp if I need to hike before or after a pitch. Anyway, I just thought I would see if anyone might have some suggestions. Oh, sorry, my current helmet is Giro 8 and I always ski with the vents unplugged.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not just use a bike helmet, there are plenty of models with huge numbers of vents/holes all over them. Not sure how waterproof it would be though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I didn't know if there would be a big difference in heat between a ski and a bike one. Will look into it. Thanks for the thought.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use salamon x wing, seems to stay pretty cool.

Hang in a minute, it might actually be 'cos I don't have any hair either.
so if your have ample coverage ontop, you could try shaving it off.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dublinfella, The new smith vantage has all the venting you will ever need Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have the Giro 9 that has quite big holes in it just like the Giro cycling helmets. If I ever take the little rubber plugs out of the holes, I get ice-cream head brain freeze when skiing due to the draft(draught?)! Oh dear, I seem to have forgotten how to spell.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a Salomon Ranger . The venting is very good and the vents can be opened and closed using a little slider on the top.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I didn't know if there would be a big difference in heat between a ski and a bike one. Will look into it. Thanks for the thought

There's a huge difference as I found out one day wearing a ski helmet on a bike - was horribly hot.

I suppose it would be silly to suggest that when hiking you hang your helmet on your backpack? wouldn't do you much good in an avalanche, I guess.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
curry-queen wrote:
I have the Giro 9 that has quite big holes in it just like the Giro cycling helmets. If I ever take the little rubber plugs out of the holes, I get ice-cream head brain freeze when skiing due to the draft(draught?)! Oh dear, I seem to have forgotten how to spell.

+1 for Giro. I've a G10 and it's got lots of (cycle type) vents also which you open and close with a slider towards the back of the helmet
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
But the OP already has a Giro with all the vents open!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is it definitely your helmet, or could you improve your layering/venting on the rest of your body?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm like you Dublinfella, and quite literally have had sweat pouring out of my lid on many occasions in the past. But my new POC Skull lite is a different kettle of boiled me. It's warm but it doesn't cook you, although there aren't many vents, the air flow is ducted through the helmet and vents out the back. Rode with it for a week in both very cold and warm conditions at 3 valleys in December and never once gave me a problem. POC gets my vote.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dublinfella, my mate walked into SnR with exactly the same question. Walked out with a Smith Vantage, which he's very happy with.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got a Giro Fuse as it

A) fitted
B) seemed to have the most vents of any helmet I could find out there....

Has been fine in temps up to +20 a few springs ago!!

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/2250/products/Giro_Fuse_Helmet_Red.aspx

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dublinfella,
http://bimoto.eu/en/ski/helmets/ The dainese air soft has great venting as the top is all vent.
snow report
Thanks for the suggestions. pam w, yep, it does sometimes come off on a hike, but I also tend over heat when working hard coming down. clarky999, I don't think it is the layering that is the problem, I tend to go with either two short sleeve or one short sleeve and one long sleeve when it is cold (-10 to -25) otherwise I just go with short sleeve base. Both Jacket and pants are hard shell, with no insuluation.Bob, to be honest, not much to shave off, me and Friar Tuck have a number of similarities.

I'm going to have to go study the suggestions so far. Thanks for all the help, hopefully can try and keep that pesky heat away!
ski holidays
Dublinfella, facewest have 10% off helmets at the moment...

http://www.facewest.co.uk/protection.html
snow report
Dublinfella wrote:
clarky999, I don't think it is the layering that is the problem, I tend to go with either two short sleeve or one short sleeve and one long sleeve when it is cold (-10 to -25) otherwise I just go with short sleeve base. Both Jacket and pants are hard shell, with no insuluation.

What sort of hardshell fabric are you using? Could a more breathable fabric help with cooling down? From what I've read, eVent seems to be the most breathable, though for the 'non-overheaters' it's maybe not so good in really cold weather. There’s a comparison here between goretex and eVent.
snow conditions
Hi sloop, the shell is Gore Tex, I think I might look at a lighter one again, if I can find and afford it. I was looking to try eVent alright, the only thing is the fact that it looses its breathability easier and requires more washing - always worry that I'll ruin it when washing.
snow conditions
Quote:

Dublinfella, my mate walked into SnR with exactly the same question. Walked out with a Smith Vantage, which he's very happy with.

Saw him coming wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy