Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva Car hire

Poster: A snowHead
I know this has been covered before (many times) but I carn't get the serach tool to work.

I'm going out to Chamonix in September for a 'summer' holiday and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a reccommened car hire company. Something simple and straightforward from the airport.

I've looked at easy car (EUROPcar) but it seems a bit pricy at £25 per day for an Ibizia, or is that the going rate ?

Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Occasionally I've found cheap rates with SixT but you have to book well in advance. Normally the best rates that I can find are with Holiday Autos booked via the Fleet Europe website ( http://www.fleeteurope.co.uk/main.aspx?page=wwh ). This was a tip I picked up here on snowHeads, although I can't remember who posted it (nevertheless I continue to be grateful to them).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Book in the Swiss side, even if you're going to France.

Look on the Geneva Airport site for loinks to the car hire sites (about half a dozen) and check rates on each as they vary a lot.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter S, sounds reasonable to me.

But, the Ibiza is a bit cramped if you have skis, we've got one and it's a hard to get my 180's in the back.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A lot of people have talked about these - http://www.holidayautos.com I have used them and they were cheaper than booking direct.
snow report
 brian
brian
Peter S, try www.sixti.de They've recently changed their pricing model though, so I think it's only really cheap now if you go in a little Smart 2 seater.

rob@rar.org.uk, the fleet europe link was from me, no problem !

Ray Zorro, use the link rob@rar.org.uk posted, it gets you into the holiday autos site with a 10% discount. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers brian! Saved me a few quid over the last year.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I tried the Hoilday Autos link a few days ago and could'nt get the link to work. It didn't recognise the fleet eurpoe code.

Used Autoeurope.co.uk in the end and got an Ibizia a/c and no damage excess for £22 per day from GVA for 10 days.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steve Sparks wrote:
I tried the Hoilday Autos link a few days ago and could'nt get the link to work. It didn't recognise the fleet eurpoe code.

I tried a dummy booking just now and it seems OK for me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
www.travelsupermarket.com is a pretty good place to go for comparisons - it'll return prices for all the major operators in the car hire market with info on what is/isn't included. That said I just tried a dummy booking and their cheapest was the same as holidayautos through the link above. Interestingly, holidayautos didn't return a quote through travelsupermarket - apparently there isn't a car availlable for the dates I chose at random - can't think why it quotes through one site and not through another??
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't think easyrentacar have their own cars at Geneva any more - or anywhere else? - they seem to be just an agency for other firms. Not one of Stavros's great successes. Pricing a good sized car for a week in October, last week, I found that Avis, at £213 were FAR cheaper than Europcar, which I've found good in the past, and even a little bit cheaper than Holiday Autos. I don't think there's much rhyme or reason to the car hire market, got to shop around. The French side used to be cheaper, but unless it's a lot cheaper, which hasn't been the case the last few times I've tried, it just isn't worth the extra hassle for people who don't know the way through to the French side intimately. I do, now, but got hopelessly lost the first several times I tried! Easyjet now have a check in on the French side, which makes like easier.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I booked on the French side last time, but will book on Swiss side next time. The issue is that if you book on the French side the car will not have the Swiss motorway sticker so to get to Chamonix you need to drive through Geneva rather than going round the motorway. If you do go round the motorway you will have to pay extra.

My experience of car hire is whatever you are quoted it will be different when you pick up, and the car you want could be different as well.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the one and only thing to remember when renting a car is: To always remeber your license!
we got to geneva in april & my fella forgot his (i cant drive)! it was a very expensive taxi ride as well as having paid for a hire car we couldnt even drive!.... a lesson we only need to learn once!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Has anyone had any luck booking a car with ski a rack online. We've been let down a couple of times , we get to the desk and get blank looks when the question of a roof rackcomes up, is this a common problem? How can you guarantee getting what you ordered, should we have phoned the desk direct after booking?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rich, never had a rack problem, just make sure it's detailed on your confirmation.
snow report
Steve Sparks, I have used Autoeurope on a few occasions, different hire companies depending on the airport, all except one were good.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy