Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packing Strategies vs Airlines' Ever Decreasing Weight Limits

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

What I want to know is why those who don't find limits a problem think they're helping those that do

crosbie, it was you who opened this thread offering to help by making some suggestions as to how people might manage to fit within the increasingly tight limits (sic) imposed by airlines these days. Most of those who responded said they didn't have any problem, thanks.

And I did suggest that if YOU needed help you post a list of what you plan to take, and we could suggest what you could do without. Unless you tell us what, exactly, you are trying to take, how can anybody help?

You were initially offering help, now you seem to be complaining that nobody's helping. wink

Quote:

At least it looks like Canada might get a bit more fresh snow than the Alps at the mo

Well they could hardly get much less!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, I didn't start this thread to help those who don't have any problem.

I'm not complaining that nobody's helping, I'm wondering how those who don't have a problem are helping by saying they don't have a problem and can't understand how anyone can have a problem.

I'll get back to you on my packing list.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I didn't start this thread to help those who don't have any problem.

But you started it, presumably, because you've found a way to tackle the problem?

Those vast great wheelie bags are the source of the problem, I think. they are heavy, in themselves, and they are so big they encourage the stuffing in of all kinds of unnecessary stuff. someone posted the other day that they take 7 sets of base layers for a week's skiing. Shocked Apart from anything else, I can't imagine even possessing more than 2 (I ski many weeks in the year, and 2 lots do me fine). Obviously if people want lots of spare sets of skis and snowboards they either need to pay for a bit of excess baggage or hire. Or drive.

Given that on many airlines you can pay for as much baggage as you want to take, I still fail to see the problem and, to be fair, you've not yet explained where your problem lies.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
1 pair each of skis, sticks & boots + bag=12.5kg

1 bag with wheels =4.5kg (I have a bad back and don't want to risk it carrying much more than ski bag and hand luggage)
ski ancillary gear 8.5kg (backpack, shovel, probe, transciever, , skins, harsheisen, harness, rope, karabiners, 1:25,000 maps, compass, water bottle, hip-flask full of whisky, goggles, sunglasses in crush-proof box, suncream etc)
roll of memory foam (for my back)2.5kg

28kg so far.

I haven't mentioned clothes (ski and non ski, including 2 hats, 2 pairs gloves) and toiletries or books (including off-piste guide). I sweat so I change my under layers and socks every day (my holidays are 8 or 8 1/2 days of skiing).

I now don't take any snow boots for the evening and last time had to leave out my ski service kit and second book and took my 15m rope instead of the 30m which saved .6kg. I haven't yet bought a helmet but I probably should.

Yes, I know, it is astonishing I have any problem.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 5-02-11 14:13; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, I started it aiming to help those with a problem - with the strategy I have in mind - and invited others to submit theirs.

The baggage limits I'm dealing with define 'ski carriage' as not containing anything apart from one set of skis/snowboard+bindings+poles. For me to take a 2nd board would cost 2x£15x7Kg, i.e. £210. I consider that expense problematic.

I'm hoping my packing strategy will satisfactorily solve my problem of reducing 50Kg from my last Banff trip (23Kg holdall+17Kg board bag+5Kg boot bag+5Kg carry on) into 35Kg (20Kg holdall + 10Kg board bag + 5Kg carry on). I was going to use someone else's unused 10Kg to take my 7Kg board, but they now want to reserve it in case they buy skis. So ditching the 5Kg boots too, I've now lost 12Kg. Only 3Kg more to go, which shouldn't be too difficult (using my strategy).

Your strategy of 'paying for as much baggage as you want to take' works if you have a lot of money. I'm concerned with the problem of how to pack and remain within the limits, i.e. to avoid penurious excess fees (for those where such fees are a problem).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball wrote:
1 pair each of skis, sticks & boots + bag=12.5kg

1 bag with wheels =4.5kg (I have a bad back and don't want to risk it carrying much more than ski bag and hand luggage)
ski ancillary gear 8.5kg (backpack, shovel, probe, transciever, , skins, harsheisen, harness, rope, karabiners, 1:25,000 maps, compass, water bottle, hip-flask full of whisky, goggles, sunglasses in crush-proof box, suncream etc)
roll of memory foam (for my back)2.5kg

28kg so far.

I haven't mentioned clothes (ski and non ski, including 2 hats, 2 pairs gloves) and toiletries or books (including off-piste guide). I sweat so I change my under layers and socks every day (my holidays are 8 or 8 1/2 days of skiing).

I now don't take any snow boots for the evening and last time had to leave out my ski service kit and second book and took my 15m rope instead of the 30m which saved .6kg. I haven't yet bought a helmet but I probably should.

Yes, I know, it is astonishing I have any problem.

If I were carrying touring kit, I too would have a problem. I do hand wash underlayers and socks; keeps down volume and weight.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are lucky to have Jet2 as the local "low-cost" airline flying from Leeds/bradford. They have a 22kg bag limit and 10kg carry on limit. So it is not such a big problem for us. I have however just bought a lighter case (2kg) so that I can put my boots in the bag as I am too lazy to carry them !.

Added to specific seat allocation and I do not want to use any other airline - we have done when needed but they are horrible cattle markets. The bit I find hilarious is the headline price and the actual full cost.

Ryanair has started flying routes out of Leeds/bradford and surprise they where mostly the same as Jet2 so I just hope they can keep going. Most flights we go on seem to be full so fingers crossed.

Air Canada is 23kgs and 10kgs so we should be ok with that too.

I find it strange that daughters bag is always the heaviest ! Confused
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

For me to take a 2nd board would cost 2x£15x7Kg, i.e. £210

easyJet seem to charge a fair bit less than that - are you quoting excess baggage rates there>

Obviously taking vast amounts of kit for touring will be a problem - but that's always been the case - limits in the past were much more rigid, in fact. 44 lbs and that's it, every other extra item would be charged at excess baggage rates. Nowadays you can buy the weight you want in advance - and if you don't have any bags, you don't have to pay for them (again, was no choice in the past - if you carried nothing you got no reduction over people who were carrying 44 lbs). And travel is still, in real terms, vastly cheaper than it ever was in the bad old days of "included" baggage limits. Maybe the more energetic young skiers who are touring etc don't actually remember the old days and think you used to be able to jump on a flight with all your gear for the cost of a heavy evening's apres ski. Laughing

I don't really get why people who are not "made of money" make such a big deal about having to swill out a few base layers in the evening - it takes seconds, and they dry quickly.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
easyJet seem to charge a fair bit less than that - are you quoting excess baggage rates there

Yes. There is no ability to pay say £35 and take an extra ski bag. I've asked, and this is the response:
Quote:
We do not have the facilities to agree to extra ski carriage we do however allow 10kgs of ski carriage on our Thomas Cook flights free of charge.

You will receive 20kgs of hold luggage one piece of hand luggage of 5 kgs and 10kgs of ski carriage.

If you are over with your luggage this is payable at the airport and is £15 per kilo.

Other airlines may vary.

And for those who: a) have plenty of money, or b) are flying via an airline with an ample weight allowance, or c) don't have any difficulty packing for 20+5+10Kg luggage limits, or d) are flying in the past; such people don't have a problem or need of any packing strategies. Though it does seem such people have a problem understanding that others might have a problem.

Maybe there's a need to create a new thread? "Why do some people have a problem with some airlines' luggage weight limits?"
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, but where do you hang all this washing in a hotel room? Can't put merino wool directly onto a radiator and that's usually full of wet gloves, hats and buffs anyway. Can't even hang it over the shower rail on a hanger now because many hotels use those stupid detachable hangers in the wardrobe. Now considering that I've paid a mint for the room, why do they think I'm so poor I need to steal their poxy hangers anyway? Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
maggi, no problem - I just hang stuff over shower fittings (bviously, if you are sharing a room, you do need to time things with your room mate). Usually enough for an overnight dry. My Helly Hensen synthetic layers have needed deed to be bung on a hanger to dry. In practice, I have never had a problem finishing off woollen socks on a radiator.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy