Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many new threads will there be...

Poster: A snowHead
worrying about the temperature, lack of new snow, dodgy forecast from Uncle Tom Cobley and all in the run up to half term......

Getting a bit tired of it all, there is nothing you can do to change the forecast, get out and enjoy what you find, if it's warm and sunny, head high, ski north facing slopes, sit in the sun with a beer/cup of tea, enjoy your holiday!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CUP OF TEA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed kitenski. There is NOTHING you can do about the weather. Get over it or cancel.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, I'm very worried so I called the Ski Club and they usefully advised me that conditions will be best on the upper slopes. HTH.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It really is incredible. Am here in France and there has been no new snow since 10th Jan. None forecast for the next week either. Can anyone remember the last time there was such a barren spell in the Alps? I have put a couple of posts on the Montalbert snow report thread re the conditions but there must be questions as to how the reasonable conditions can be maintained on the run up to busy feb holidays with temperatures rising next week?

I am having a great great time ijn the glorious sun! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For what it's worth, despite the lack of snow fall, the temperatures are doing a great job of keeping what there is in good condition. A good season to work those race skis or invest in a pair of park skis and go play silly bugs.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
are the resorts just as busy as they would normally be at this time of year?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
agreed. the old tired slogan "A bad day on the mountains is better than a good day at work" is certainly very true from where I'm sitting right now.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shoogly wrote:
are the resorts just as busy as they would normally be at this time of year?

Yes pretty empty... great time to ski no queues and no crowds...heaven
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mouth, The early 90's were pretty grim
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BergenBergen, yes, remember it well, 3 seasons on the trot were very poor and snowmaking wasn't everywhere like it is now.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Can anyone remember the last time there was such a barren spell in the Alps?

Yes. 4 weeks basically no snow in Les Gets/Avoriaz one January. Weren't even running snow cannon, presumably so as not to deplete the lakes too early in the season. Was beautiful snow all week (on piste).

No snowfall is not an issue (so long as there has been snow of course). Rain is! It hasn't rained and washed it all away yet, and there's still snow.

Even the year it did rain for a week and washed Les Gets away, we still got a full 6 days on the slopes in the PdS. Avoriaz (Fornet sector?) was superb (although the off-piste playground had become effectively a massively wide piste).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BergenBergen wrote:
Mouth, The early 90's were pretty grim

That is my memory too. I went to les orres in Feb 92 and there was a distinct lack of snow and it was quite mild.

Only other time we had a bad lack of snow experience was la clusaz in 2001 - rain and grass skiing at the bottom!

We went to les saisies last week and the snow cover was excellent on all the pistes at 1600 and above. It was sunny but cold and we had a great time. A few icy patches but the red category hire skis were good enough to cope with them. Also enjoyed skiing in some of the lower linked areas on cannoned snow.
It is always nice to ski a bit of powder on holiday and it is certainly lacking at the moment. However last year we had so much fresh snow in montgenevre we were unable to ski the whole resort as visibility was not good at the highest parts of the resort on several days.

Hope there will be more snow soon for those skiing later in the season.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="andy"]
Quote:

(Fornet sector?) was superb (although the off-piste playground had become effectively a massively wide piste).

Well it was a pretty bumpy massively wide piste on Monday when I took this...

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh dear,
Quote:

Can anyone remember the last time there was such a barren spell in the Alps?

Yes. Season 1989-90. Had a reasonable fall of snow December 17th. Then nothing but blue skies and cold temps for 9 weeks (!). IIRC Portes du Soleil got down to 2 lifts (ignoring Prodains cable car) and 4 pistes.

Up till near the very end we were still finding fun things to do.

All our guests still had excellent holidays. All wanted to come back whene there was snow.

And we still ended up skiing bottomless powder in April.

Could be worse. In 1954 there was no snow, at all, all season (allegedly).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="kitenski"]worrying about the temperature, lack of new snow, dodgy forecast from Uncle Tom Cobley and all in the run up to half term...... Getting a bit tired of it all/quote]

Awwww come now. We're British - it's our god given right and general purpose in life to have a good old whinge about the weather, don't get so hung up on it.

Everyone will enjoy and make the most of their holidays whatever once they get there, but most people who only get to ski once or twice a year and after paying 500-2k per head it's not surprising they hope the weather will favour them with nice conditions.

It's only traditional to have a good old fashion groan about the weather in the run up to hols when the weather is going against them.

snowHead
latest report
Thing that gets me is after 10 days of no snowfall, the number of people that seem to assume that the alps must be mostly grass.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
BergenBergen, yes, remember it well, 3 seasons on the trot were very poor and snowmaking isnt everywhere in Austria even now.

There, corrected that for you wink
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, and how would you know? And, if it were true, would it be because they don't need it? One day you'll drive out of the tunnel and turn left, then your life will change for the better forever.
snow conditions
Still look on the bright side, at least you don't need to worry about snow chains or all the various complications surrounding snow tyres at Geneva Airport car hire desks, so perhaps the thread count on these subjects will be reduced! snowHead
snow report
Bode Swiller, Done Austria wink BKK Kaprun Saalbach Hinterglemm etc Very Happy
Dirty secret, I have skied in Soll.
ski holidays
Trenmold wrote:
Still look on the bright side, at least you don't need to worry about snow chains or all the various complications surrounding snow tyres at Geneva Airport car hire desks, so perhaps the thread count on these subjects will be reduced! snowHead

Very good point Laughing
ski holidays
....I will be able to take stilettos for Apres instead of Columbia Boots Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
Bode Swiller, Done Austria wink BKK Kaprun Saalbach Hinterglemm etc Very Happy
Dirty secret, I have skied in Soll.

Now then, that isn't "doing" Austria is it? Arlberg, Otztal, Zillertal and others need doing. I can happily report I have well and truly done France and it has well and truly done me Laughing

And your car would be far more at home on the Teutonic side.
latest report
Now back in the UK and I'm missing the mountains. Why not do what was suggested to me? With the sunny weather and warm temps in the French Alps, why not take the opportunity to work on those 'early season' sun tans and forget the skiing? Shocked
That person is now off my christmas card list!
snow report
This morning's wigglies for Austria look pretty good to me. Fairly warm this weekend but cold enough overnight, then going cold again from 9th Feb with a fair bit of snowfall potential. Admittedly I'm not going until 5th March so it could all change but I'm feeling reasonably positive at the moment.
snow conditions
kitenski, Any concern about the thread drift yet ?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy