Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

returning to resorts year after year

Poster: A snowHead
what do folk prefer then, to visit as many diffefrent resorts as possible, or find a one they like and revisit many times. i have enjoyed winterpark so much i feel i could go there year after year
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To many resorts out there to sample to bother returning year after year!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ROAD TRIP!

not always doable or a success but I do prefer a multi-stop road trip dealie
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like to try new places.... Though I have returned to a few on away days (La Plagne when in Les Arcs and vice versa, Serre Che from Montgenevre). I can see the appeal of going to a resort several times and getting to know it well but that doesn't satisfy my travel bug.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
agreed, but you could say the same with beer/wine/alcohol/women. If you find one you like why not keep going back. That doesn't of course stop you trying other things as well. But if you only get one shot at it what's wrong with going where you know.

look at the upsides, if you are somewhere you know you don't have to spend any time looking at piste maps or finding restaurants. You get to spend more time on the slopes and also potentially in the bar afterwards.

we've been back to vail (and associated resorts) several time (including honeymoon skiing). 3 valleys, Zell am see a few times. plus lot's of others.

my 2p duly inserted into thread!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When you're travelling as a family it's easier in a resort you all know - lunch meets, timing to get to school rendezvous and so on are easier when you know the terrain.

If you're young free and single I'd be trying a new place each time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Different requirements for different people

We have been to the same resort for the last 5-years as it suits. Over that time all 3-kids have learnt to ski, so I have been confident as to where I could take them as I know the resort. The apartments we have stayed in, well we know what we will get and that they are fine for us. We also know what there is there, where to shop and that it is a quiet family friendly resort. Therefore it has been ideal - why would we go anywhere else.

I suspect this year will be the last year as kids are now more confident than us so we can explore further.

Vallandry has been the resort concerned in case anyone cares
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bit of both. I've been to Tignes the last 3 years in December and will be at LDA again at Easter for the 5th year running. However at half term I'm going to St Anton where I haven't been before and generally go somewhere new then.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agree with MazDave, If you have young family it's easier to go to resorts you know. Also if you are limited to times of the year such as late april or early december its better to go to resorts that high (unless you can book last minute).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A few years ago i would have gone out of my way NOT to return to anywhere I have been before...

Now though I can;t believe we have returned to the same resort & chalet 5 years on the trot.
Several reasons, the 3 valleys has an extensive range of piste to suit my experience, I can still find runs I have not used either for a long time or ever and both my wife & son enjoy the conditions and possibly it helps to gain confidence as you know the regular pistes better.
and
As we can only really afford one major weeks holiday in the year, I want it to work as best as we can afford and the people who regularly return to the same chalet also add greatly to the fun and to the skiing - so that is a really important factor.
Plus
The chalet owners really helped make it, really ensuring you felt it was worth the extra.

As my son is quite a good experienced skier it wouldn;t hurt to try elsewhere if we can get away for another week just us 2 but I would still like to stay in the 3 valleys for our main week as a family.

I am not sure if that is sad or just me getting older & more easier pleased ?? NehNeh Laughing Laughing

Noisey
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm sure for many people it's a case of "we know and like xxxx", so place "yyyy" has to be 20% better to be the same or better. I used to go to same place every time. Then I went on some bashes to do something different. But now going back to the same place for the 3rd time (and contemplating a possible 4th next month Confused )
For a quick bunk of work early on a Friday, and get 2 days of slides in, then I'll choose somewhere I know, mainly for parking, getting up on the mountain etc. without faff. Would rather explore some more resorts though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
for me it's all about the snow, i usually book a couple of days before i go. so if that means i end up in the same place twice then so be it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Both, but then I get enough ski time to do both. Exploring somewhere new is always cool, but I also really like it when I know all the secret pow stashes and can find my way top to bottom without touching a piste - and I'll be going to Westendorf at least a few days a season for this reason. I also like to go back to Saalbach for at least a week a season - it's easy for me to get work in a really nice ski school, but mainly I have lots of mates who also go back every year.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 3-02-11 0:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

for me it's all about the snow, i usually book a couple of days before i go. so if that means i end up in the same place twice then so be it.

mugen, I do same as U,, its all about the snow Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's an interesting question. We come back here because we have an apartment here - simple enough, it's infinitely cheaper, we have a season pass, etc etc. There are other places within easy reach for a day, and I enjoy going somewhere different, but it's expensive - petrol, lift pass, lunch (when on home ground we often eat at the apartment). Runs are different each time - weather and snow conditions make a big difference - and I don't have to put my specs on to read a map. wink

Having a regular holiday haunt with young kids can be great - they love rediscovering old favourite bits. Not just on ski holidays, but beaches, campsites etc too. when we lived in Scotland there was one particular campsite my daughter always wanted to go to because there was a tree where she rigged up a swing for her doll! She talked about it for years as though it was some kind of magic spot. And if you have found a winning formula which everyone enjoys, then there's no argument to change, really - holidays with kids can be tricky. But kids grow up, their ideas change, they might want somewhere new too. When we were doing annual ski hols (could never afford more than one, and that not every year) we went twice to La Rosiere, twice to Les Gets, but we also did 2 Austria trips, Serbia (Kapaonik), La Plagne, Mottaret, Les Houches - and maybe others that don't spring to mind right now.

I don't think we could easily have found somewhere we knew we would be happy to return to again and again, without that experience. We did think hard about whether it was a good idea, as it would mean the bulk of future holidays (not just ski hols) would be in the French Alps. As it happens, 9 years down the line, we like it more than ever and enjoy the late spring/summer/autumn visits as much as the skiing. But we're retired - and in our time we travelled a lot (for work) so we've lived all over the world and we do feel we've "done" our travelling. When you've had access to deserted beaches in the Caribbean and the Pacific the thought of a beach holiday in Spain or similar is just not remotely attractive - I'd rather sit up my Alp. Actually we rarely had expensive summer holidays because we could only afford one a year and it had to be skiing. I've only ever been to Spain once. But if we hadn't done all that travelling, and if we were younger, I don't think a fixed point like an apartment abroad would be nearly as good an idea.

At different stages in life I guess people want different things. I do think it's a shame when young people close down their options too quickly and won't try something new - or when people go to an interesting foreign country then spend all their time in a tourist "enclave" seeing nothing of the local scene. They might have gone to a whole swathe of countries, but done exactly the same thing in all of them. Our ski holidays were often like that - the only bit of local colour I got in Serbia was when we found the only shop in the resort was closed on New Year's Day (the day after we arrived late at night, self-catering) and I had to go exploring and buying some very local foodstuffs from some Serbian farmers in old raincoats tied up with string. The 50 words of Serbo-Croat I had learned for a sailing holiday in Croatia the previous year (quite unnecessarily as everyone on the coast spoke German) came in useful. It was actually one of the highlights of the holiday for me - and them, probably, as I no doubt paid 3 times the going rate. wink
ski holidays
You pays your money and takes your choice. I enjoy seeing different places, but have been back to many. If I could work out how to own somewhere I'm sure I'd enjoy going there every year. If's not difficult to enjoy yourself in the mountains and what suits one is not for everyone.
snow report
I prefer to go somewhere different each year. One life, so many resorts to ski. However, this season I am going back to Kitzbühel having been there 3 years ago. A couple of reasons for this. Firstly, I loved Kitzbühel the first time round. Secondly I was far from being fully fit and healthy when I went in 2008 (only a matter of months after my cancer treatment and only 10 weeks after breaking my arm) so I didn't ski as much as I'd have liked to. And thirdly, the lengthy list of resort requirements for my group of ski buddies is such that we're really struggling to find new places to go. We're already having email conversations about where to go next season as it's essential to book early to bag those all important single rooms.

However, I'm still hoping we might find somewhere new to try next season.
snow report
I'm fortunate to be able to try new places as well as return to places I know well. If I had to make a choice I'd rather return to places I know, not to have the same holiday time and time again but to get to know the area better and make the most of what's on offer. I've skied Les Arcs a lot and still don't feel I know the place well enough to make the most of it. Resorts that I visit once I feel like I only get the headlines and I miss so much.
latest report
There is simple pleasure to be had from returning to the old favourite (Soll) where I know the runs, the mountain restaurants and my way round the village. However it's also nice to be able to visit new resorts never seen before - to see if they live up to their reputation. One resort I've not visited but fancy trying is St Anton - heard so much about it that I would like to ski there - maybe later this season.
snow report
As I say, for the most time its depends about the snow,, but there is one resort,, I have skiing alot of time, make 2 season in, try to come to at least 1 week every winter, its not the best resort in europe, and I love and hate the place in the same time Puzzled Chamonix
ski holidays
i tend to go to all the big resorts once or twice. my family (me included) dont really like smaller resorts.
snow conditions
The luxury of both ideally. Done a huge road trip and one good one in the past and generally prefer different places but . . . the more you know a place, the more you know exactly where to go when and what the 1 weekers don't.
ski holidays
It depends. Having only 6 says skiing on a trip makes me tempted to go with an option I know so when (if) the pow arrives I know where to be however I usually end up going somewhere new. It does depend on the resort though for example I know someone who stayed a winter in St Anton and will still skiing new lines he didn't know existed when he left! Local knowledge and secret stashes are rather handy to have. Conversely the only resort I have actually gone back to is Les Arcs (totally by fluke, filled up a group with some friends) and by day 2 of the second trip I was a bit bored I have to say.
snow report
I have my favourites but always try somewhere new every season. For example this season I have been to Verbier (an old favourite) and have just been to, er, Bulgaria for the first time! snowHead
snow conditions
SWMBO isn't that fussed about skiing at all, so she's more happy going to the same place every year (since 1998 Shocked ) as it's like a second home, the kids are happy cos they know it like the back of their hand and I'm happy cos I get to go skiing. I also try to sneak in some variation if budget and time allow, as I like to experiment. )We are still talking about skiing, right? wink ).

I can see that pretty soon the kids will want to try somewhere new, but as we go to PdS there's another 500-odd km of piste they've mostly not seen, never mind the bits in between, so no reason to wander yet, really.
ski holidays
The only resort I've been to twice is Alpe d'Huez, and that wasn't for any reason other than extraordinarily low cost. With approximately a zwillion ski areas in the world, going to any of them more than once seems perverse.
ski holidays
Nowhere more than twice in a 3 year period. If we can feel like we've done Espace Killy enough by doing two trips in two years, then we will feel that way about any resort or ski area.

Plus variety is interesting and fun. Some people will stick to the same beach in Lanzagrottey every year, drink in the same bar, eat in the same restaurant, no doubt shag the same slappers from the same pikey town. I am not one of those people. If you stick with places you know and trust you will never find the Holy Grail of ski resorts for you. When you find that holidays start getting compared to "that great week we had" somewhere like some ex-girlfriend you look at with rose tinted specs then you might want to stick with it and go back. But I find it is very rarely as good as you remembered it, for whatever reason.
snow conditions
Bit of both. I've been to Wengen 5 times now - but was looking forward to the Dolomites as something new.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Current policy is Megève and somewhere new each year.
snow report
Quote:

If we can feel like we've done Espace Killy enough by doing two trips in two years

Espace Killy exhausted in 2 weeks? You must have a very low boredom threshold, Monium. wink
snow report
We started driving to Flaine 11 years ago and have returned every year since (apart from last year) with a couple of other trips elsewhere. We chose it initially because a) it is the nearest large area by road from Calais b) the SC apartments are (or were) comparatively cheap for a family and c) friends were also going. I guess we got to know the GM but there are still many pistes we haven't done. Sure, it's a concrete jungle in the town but we know our way around. We will go elsewhere sometime in the future (I want to ski in the USA) but we're returning at HT again. I like the fact it's not full of hooray Henries also. And the view of Mont Blanc from the top is fabulous.
snow conditions
I like to try resorts/areas new to me. I also have several favourites which draw you back and are like old friends. You can overdo it but with large linked areas you can stay at a different resort to get a different vibe.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 17-04-15 9:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
what ever is convenient/cheap to get to with the airlines and whatever has the best chance of better snow, so not bothered if it is the same resort that I have been to before or a new resort, but not really in to this 'I like what I know and I know what I like' attitude expecially if I only had one ski holiday a year. One thing for sure though is that I have never lost any time on the mountain because I was at a new resort and I am not going to beat myself up over the issue of catching the odd dodgy restaurant either at a new resort.
ski holidays
Quote:

Espace Killy enough by doing two trips in two years,

Monium, I was in one season in Espace Killy, Val d Isere, 1987, and still after that try to go there at least 2 weeks every season, and Im still find it exiting, U must be a hell of a skier wink
snow report
Of the 6 weeks i have had on the snow 4 of them have been in the Poretes Du Soleil. I have stayed in Morzine, Ardent and Chatel and i love the place but next year i am trying somewhere different. The other 2 weeks are Les Deux Alpes and Killington - somewhere i wont be returning to in a hurry!!! Confused
latest report
This is only my third season but the pattern so far is a different resort each winter coupled with several trips to Chamonix each winter because that place is a magnet I can't resist.
snow conditions
This is my first year for ages where I am not going somewhere new. Usually go to at least one new place a year. Good to mix it up a bit - but returning to a place you know can be easier for holidays with a young family.
snow conditions
My aim is to try at least one new resort per year. I have my favourites though (Val D'Isere, Portes du Soleil, St Anton, Chamonix..) and will also aim for a week in one of these each season. I will return to a particular resort if there is an instructor that I particularly like to learn from.
ski holidays
Mr Technique wrote:
The only resort I've been to twice is Alpe d'Huez, and that wasn't for any reason other than extraordinarily low cost. With approximately a zwillion ski areas in the world, going to any of them more than once seems perverse.
Perverse? No, I don't think so.
snow report
I aim for both new and known. Past 5 or 6 years I've gone to one of either 3V or ESK + one or two other new places. 3V/ESK because I go with a regular group of mixed ability who like going to large areas with a variety of runs, and I know them very well so I can either guide or just blast around knowing exactly where I'm going without having to use a map. I go to a new place or two each year with another mate of the same standard so we can go adventuring together, also got a mate at work who's got a place in Schladming so that's going to become a regular pre-Xmas quick trip.

Nothing wrong whatsoever in going back to the same place. With the majority of recreational skiers going only 1 week a year time is precious. If you know the slopes it significantly reduces time getting to the best/favorite runs, it allows you to relax and work on technique if you don't have to worry about navigation and, most importantly, you know where the best lunches are. I don't buy the 'travel bug' argument for going to as many different resorts as possible. With so many resorts only a few miles away from each other you're not exactly channeling the spirit of Phileas Fogg by going to Les Arcs one year and Sainte-Foy the next (prepared to be shot down in flames).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy