Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yet another "which board" query

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys

Long time reader first time poster.

I’m looking for a new board and I’m after some advice. I have been riding the standard Burton Clash that I got with the beginners package I bought when I started for a while now and feel I’m ready for something new. I’m happy on blue and red runs, not interested in going to the park or straying that far from the piste.

I recently tried the k2 Raygun and got on with it pretty well but I think I will be bored with it after a couple of trips and I rather buy a board that I will hold onto for a bit longer. I have seen a good deal on a Lib Tech Lando Phoenix and am really interested in getting a board with magne traction but am I getting carried away? The last thing I want to do is get to the top of the mountain and the strap myself onto a monster I can’t control!

So the question is Raygun, Phoenix or Another?

All suggestions welcomes
Vitals if it helps are 6,1ft, 95kg and size 10 boots.

Cheers
Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry wrong thread can someone please move to snowboarding. First time and epic fail! Embarassed
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like the reviews of:

Never Summer SL
or
Rome Agent Rocker

I would def upgrade, specially for Never Summer, but no funds this year for a new board.

They both use mixed camber/rocker profiles, which seems to be the best of both really.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Busen Boarder, wasn't that bad a fail, at least it's in a forum with the word snow in it.

I know nothing about boarding apart from the fact that my brother has just got one of these cool things

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers Tom I will have a look at both those boards, I started looking at the Agent Rocker then forgot all about it.

Thanks Shoogly I'll go for a medium fail then but onwards and upwards I think I will try and post my question again in the correct section. Cool graphics on your brothers board!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Busen Boarder, what sort of riding do you want to do? Freeride oriented (longer, stiffer, harder to turn) or freestyle/jibbing type stuff (shorter, softer, easier in the turns)? You can have magnetraction on either type of board - look at LibTech or Gnu if that's what you want. Mr L had a LibTech fo several seasons and liked the edge hold it gave, but decided ultimately that the answer to riding hardpack was technique not tech. Currently riding a K2 Believer and not missing the magnetraction.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shoogly, Think there's a mistake in your photo - it say's Man's board but then it appears to be 156cm long wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob wrote:
shoogly, Think there's a mistake in your photo - it say's Man's board but then it appears to be 156cm long wink

That made me chuckle, I've just picked up an old Salomon Burner off Ebay which is 172. Who needs rocker when you have a landing strip underfoot.

Busen Boarder, go to a fridge and test,test,test then if you are going abroad test,test,test again. I know I am going to get slaughtered for this but Mange Traction is a slow substitute for sharp edges and good technique.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think they should rename it minge traction Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why worry about being a technique geek when you can just use magne traction? Very Happy

I love it, on the right board, in the right conditions. Not worth bothering with for a powder board though IMO, I think it gets in the way then.

I'd love to know how many people who bag it have actually racked up solid time on a magne board?

Smokin' also do magne boards, and arbor have a similar concept on some of their boards. The magne on smokin boards is a bit more mellow than the lib ones.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
id get the lando phoenix, swear by lib boards and magnetraction is not a gimmick! obviously it doesnt make any difference in powder, but makes a lot of difference on pretty much everything else, and is even noticeable on softish groomers.

hang11 - i think the newer more freeride orientated lib boards have more mellow mtx, as well as c2 banana which is a mix of camber and banana. sounds ideal.

willow - sharp edges, good technique AND magne?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My KT-22 has the rocker/camber thing and magne - goes great, honestly can't see why people have a problem with the tech.

One of my kids has been tearing it up this year on a Buck Ferton with rocker and MTX, and loved it as well.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers guys definitely leaning towards the phoenix, I take your points on technique over tech but surely there's no harm increasing both. Everyone needs a helping hand right?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
willow 15, 172? Does it start making that beeping noise trucks do when you ride switch? wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Why worry about being a technique geek when you can just use magne traction?

Well, absolutely. Why bother putting the effort into being good at anything, in fact?
latest report
Why bother having sidecut? If you're that good.....

And jmo but it's all about having fun, not trying to perfect technique.
snow conditions
hang11 wrote:
I'd love to know how many people who bag it have actually racked up solid time on a magne board?

Lol, not again, good luck with that one. wink

MT is not everyone's saviour, and it is possible to have good edge hold tech and good technique, kinda seems a few people think somehow they're mutually exclusive. rolling eyes

OP, sorry can't help with specific recommendations, just scoot as many as you can 'til you get a handle on what's what. Unfortunately you'll be lucky if riding in a fridge will give you that. Just don't place too much stock on any of the hype, try to go with what feels right for you. At your level I'd guess the majority of the better branded boards of the right length/flex should give you what you need, but if you do want a MT board, give one a good run out prior, as it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Edit:sp
latest report
Is there some kind of Apple vs Microsoft style row going on over magnetraction? I fear I have missed that one. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Do competition Boarder X or Alpine race boards have magnetraction? I think that might answer the question of whether its a nice to have or really valuable?
snow conditions
Just googled magnetraction - it's much less awesome than the name makes it sound. I was hoping for some sort of Scalextric-style magnets or something equally ludicrous and cool-sounding, but it's just a stupid way of saying "slightly wavy edges". Disappointed.
snow conditions
tick tick tick tick...
snow conditions
hang11 wrote:

G asked a question, which I highlighted. Feel free to answer it if you qualify for the criterium.

Otherwise, in the context of this thread, you're just expressing, at best, a second hand opinion. rolling eyes lol NehNeh

fatbob if I was even remotely good enough to do either of those disciplines, I think I'd prefer the relative stability of a cambered board with razor sharp edges. Slightly narrow terms of reference, in fairness.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
Do competition Boarder X or Alpine race boards have magnetraction? I think that might answer the question of whether its a nice to have or really valuable?

Its a valid question but so is do Xavier de la Rue and Jeremy Jones have it on there boards riding 50 degree icy couloirs? Yes they do.
latest report
snowrider, I can believe in the theory certainly for rockered boards, maybe for regular camber boards too but the rocker/camber marketing bs is so hard to separate from everything in the snowboarding world (even more so than skiing where at least no one's talking about moustash rocker yet). Guess I'd like to test simply to have an opinion.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
tick tick tick tick...

LOL Its gone past the ticking like I know it would. Now we have to find out if the subject is just a flash bang or a frag.

snowrider wrote "Its a valid question but so is do Xavier de la Rue and Jeremy Jones have it on there boards riding 50 degree icy couloirs? Yes they do."

Do you know that for a fact as I have known of lots of riders in the past riding boards that are not what you think they are. Like a Kessler that actually looks for all intensive purposes Burton. Not calling you out but sometimes things are not what they seem.

hang11 wrote "Why bother having sidecut? If you're that good.....

And jmo but it's all about having fun, not trying to perfect technique."

If you are that good and can ride a board, you want a board with lots of different sidecuts. Klothoid, VSR I could go on. It is people who can't carve could make do with a board without sidecut. Perfecting technique means being able to ride steeper mountains, tighter couloirs, bigger kickers, the list goes on. I can use the whole mountain to have fun on rather than a little section of it.

This topic will go on and on but at the end of the day ride and be happy with your board, and that you can afford a board. Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

G asked a question, which I highlighted. Feel free to answer it if you qualify for the criterium.

Mr L, two and a half seasons on a LibTech board with magnetraction, riding every day. Liked it but ultimately decided he could get the same result from a standard board if his technique was up to it. Which it is, because he does. Which is why I made the post in the first place, as it contained a considered opinion from someone who has ridden extensively using boards both with and without magnetraction edges.

Mind you, I might consider one, given that my technical level falls a long way short of his.
latest report
Lets see, you've got a choice of flat, camber, spoon, rocker, v Rocker, triple base, Reverse Triple base, continuous uplift, and camber/rocker combos - and according to each ones blurb guess which one reckons it's the best thing since sliced bread?
latest report
I quite like triple base boards too Very Happy

Did a season on a bataleon, found it fun to chuck around, but seemed a bit slow sometimes.

And still go back to my cambered non mtx board and love every minute of it as well.

Anyway, I'm going for a surf, it's pumping.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
willow 15, 172? Does it start making that beeping noise trucks do when you ride switch? wink

172 is short, check this out http://www.ralphcastelberg.ch/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=218:real-longboarding-2011&catid=8:snowboard-videos&Itemid=32
snow report
Jones : Mountain Twin

I have one and It's Mint! http://jonessnowboards.com/index.php/product/moutain-twin You will never catch an edge!!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy